Thief 3 - Crashing back to desktop

I've noticed T:DS crashing back to the desktop.

I am running Windows 2000 Pro with the lastest DX drivers.
1 gig of ram on a P4 3.4ghz (not over clocked) system.

I don't know if removing all these items from the
Windows Task Manager is a must but I thought I would mention this
in case some folks have other thoughts for Windows 2000 Pro users
in reguards to this game.

Ati2evxx.exe 380<entry> ATI card
Ati2evxx.exe 896<entry> ATI card
atiptaxx.exe <entry> ATI card
launchpd.exe <entry> ATI card
E_S4I2D1.exe<entry> Epson printer support of some kind
msnmsgr.exe<entry> Instant messenger
SMax4.exe<entry> Onboard sound support
SMax4pnp.exe<entry> Onboard sound support

The Task Manager will only allow me to remove one of the
Ati2evxx.exe entries. I believe these entries to be for dual
monitor support. However I only have one monitor. Why ATI
loads both when it is configured for a single monitor is
pretty lazy programming if you ask Me.

Ok with that said. I remove all of the above, leaving one of
the Ati2evxx.exe active, and then that seems to make T:DS
a happy camper.

Personally I think the T:DS should not be popping back to the
desktop. Oh and No. In My Case simply removing the MSN messenger
from memory is not enough to keep T:DS on my system any ways, from
aborting to the desktop.

It is not an immediate abort to the desktop. It happens during play.
The abort time is random and not predictable where in the game or when
it will occur.

Geneve

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

On 5 Jan 2005 10:57:38 -0800, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>I've noticed T:DS crashing back to the desktop.
>
>I am running Windows 2000 Pro with the lastest DX drivers.
>1 gig of ram on a P4 3.4ghz (not over clocked) system.
>
>I don't know if removing all these items from the
>Windows Task Manager is a must but I thought I would mention this
>in case some folks have other thoughts for Windows 2000 Pro users
>in reguards to this game.
>
>Ati2evxx.exe 380<entry> ATI card
>Ati2evxx.exe 896<entry> ATI card
>atiptaxx.exe <entry> ATI card
>launchpd.exe <entry> ATI card
>E_S4I2D1.exe<entry> Epson printer support of some kind
>msnmsgr.exe<entry> Instant messenger
>SMax4.exe<entry> Onboard sound support
>SMax4pnp.exe<entry> Onboard sound support
>
>The Task Manager will only allow me to remove one of the
>Ati2evxx.exe entries. I believe these entries to be for dual
>monitor support. However I only have one monitor. Why ATI
>loads both when it is configured for a single monitor is
>pretty lazy programming if you ask Me.
>
>Ok with that said. I remove all of the above, leaving one of
>the Ati2evxx.exe active, and then that seems to make T:DS
>a happy camper.
>
>Personally I think the T:DS should not be popping back to the
>desktop. Oh and No. In My Case simply removing the MSN messenger
>from memory is not enough to keep T:DS on my system any ways, from
>aborting to the desktop.
>
>It is not an immediate abort to the desktop. It happens during play.
>The abort time is random and not predictable where in the game or when
>it will occur.

Have you tried disabling sound in T3 and seeing if it still CTD? I don't
know why the other stuff would cause a problem but historically onboard
sound has been rather problematic. It's getting better though. Anyhow if
there is one place in the game where it consistently crashes, you might
try disabling the sound altogether and see if that gets you past the crash
area. If so, perhaps consider an sound card. (I recently replaced my old
SBLive! card with an Audigy2 and it has worked well on everything so far.)

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:35:51 -0600 Michael Cecil said :

>Have you tried disabling sound in T3 and seeing if it still CTD? I don't

No I have yet to try that.

I went with the on board sound so I could leave more resources
free to the system since PCI adds to the resource load I was told
some ancient time back.

All I spare here is a SB16 pci or was it a isa? I forget. I had a live
but I built a system for My Mother gave that to her so She could have
some nice sound.

The onboard sound is coming from the Asus P4P800 SE motherboard.
SoundMAX I believe is what it is called.

T3 doesn't complain about it when it loads the disc play menu.

>know why the other stuff would cause a problem but historically onboard
>sound has been rather problematic.

Maybe so.... In My past I always avoided anything that said it was
OnBoard.

>Anyhow if
>there is one place in the game where it consistently crashes,

No it is completely random.

Once I remove the some of that list of items then it is good
to go......

>If so, perhaps consider an sound card. (I recently replaced my old
>SBLive! card with an Audigy2 and it has worked well on everything so far.)

There are so many Audigy2 cards out there that it gets real confusing.

The cheapest one I could find was around $ 75+ U.S. money.

CREATIVE LABS SOUND BLASTER SB0400 AUDIGY 2 VALUE 7.1 - RETAIL BOX PN:
70SB04000005

Over at www.pricewatch.com

I cant see spending that amount rigght now. still paying off the new pc.
HA ~!

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:35:51 -0600 Michael Cecil said :

>>Have you tried disabling sound in T3 and seeing if it still CTD? I don't

T:DS rashed back to the desk top this evening.

I had not removed any of the programs that I mentioned before.

I was in the docks. I had four sword carrying guards after Me.

I then leaped in to the small boat. I had plenty of health

potions in my belt so I stood very very close to the edge

of the boat next to the docks.

When the guards got the there they started trying to kill me of

course. I just kept hitting my helath potions when needed.

Then one of guards goot too close to the water and kaploosh he

fell in.

Another did the same thing. Then I took out my noise arrow to pelt one

and that was when the game exited to the desktop.