need help hooking up IBM hard drive fm HP laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
September 12, 2004 5:00:32 PM

Hi,

This is a hd from a HP laptop. It has personal data on it that hasn't been
backed up.
I'm going to try to backup the data and then return the hd to HP. The HD in
question
is faulty, but it still spins, so I may have a shot at it. A friend swapped
the replacement
from HP with this one, and asked me to see if I could get his stuff off it,
etc.

The drive is an IBM travelstar 4200 RPM 40 gig ATA/IDE
model: Ic25n040ATCS04-0 July 'o2

I never fooled with laptop stuff before so I'm kinda stuck here. I was
hoping I could
access it with a normal 40pin ide cable, and then use jumper wires to hook
up
whatever run voltage it needed. No luck.

Can anybody tell me how to proceed from here?

Thanks for any ideas.

Allen
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
September 12, 2004 5:22:32 PM

In article <oMidnQloksotHdncRVn-tA@comcast.com>,
!Allen Lasting <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>This is a hd from a HP laptop. It has personal data on it that hasn't been
>backed up.
>I'm going to try to backup the data and then return the hd to HP. The HD in
>question
>is faulty, but it still spins, so I may have a shot at it. A friend swapped
>the replacement
>from HP with this one, and asked me to see if I could get his stuff off it,
>etc.
>
>The drive is an IBM travelstar 4200 RPM 40 gig ATA/IDE
>model: Ic25n040ATCS04-0 July 'o2
>
>I never fooled with laptop stuff before so I'm kinda stuck here. I was
>hoping I could
>access it with a normal 40pin ide cable, and then use jumper wires to hook
>up
>whatever run voltage it needed. No luck.
>
>Can anybody tell me how to proceed from here?
>
>Thanks for any ideas.
>
>Allen

For about $15 you can buy an adapter cable that connects the edge
connectors on the 2.5 inch drive to a standard IDE cable. It also
connects power. The only trick is to identify which side is pin 1 on
the disk.

cyberguys.com will have the cable.

I wouldn't mess with a USB backpack controller since they
add an additional unknown to your problem, and they cost more.

Make this disk the secondary on the borrowed machine, generally
this means yanking the cable that goes to the CD drive.

The borowed machine should be running the same OS version, or later.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Thanks, Al, for the quick reply. And especially for the heads up about
the power pin. I'll get one, and repost and let you know how I made
out.

Allen

> For about $15 you can buy an adapter cable that connects the edge
> connectors on the 2.5 inch drive to a standard IDE cable. It also
> connects power. The only trick is to identify which side is pin 1 on
> the disk.
>
> cyberguys.com will have the cable.
>
> I wouldn't mess with a USB backpack controller since they
> add an additional unknown to your problem, and they cost more.
>
> Make this disk the secondary on the borrowed machine, generally
> this means yanking the cable that goes to the CD drive.
>
> The borowed machine should be running the same OS version, or later.
>
> --
> Al Dykes
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
September 15, 2004 2:04:29 AM

"!Allen Lasting" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:o MidnQloksotHdncRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> Hi,
>
> This is a hd from a HP laptop. It has personal data on it that hasn't
been
> backed up.
> I'm going to try to backup the data and then return the hd to HP. The HD
in
> question
> is faulty, but it still spins, so I may have a shot at it. A friend
swapped
> the replacement
> from HP with this one, and asked me to see if I could get his stuff off
it,
> etc.

I bought the 2. in (laptop harddrive) adapter from Fry's Electronics for $12
several years ago. I replaced it about a year ago for $6. A USB external 2.5
harddrive case will also work. Mine was about $25 at Fry's. The adapter
method gives a little better chance of getting files off the drive, but is
used with a desktop unit. If this is an XP laptop, the desktop machine must
be XP if the drive is formatted to NTFS. I have done both methods on an HP
harddrive, when I replaced the drive with a larger on and the adapter method
to quickly transfer 10 gigs to a desktop. I use the spare laptop drive to
backup files. I wished the laptop had a build in CD burner. My next laptop
will. Let me know if you need further help. Make sure of pin 1. Posters have
said they had destroyed their drive by hooking it up wrong.
!