What modern day uses are there for RAM Disks?

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I'm upgrading a few select components of my computer this Christmas. I was looking at upgrading my RAM, but I decided that I don't need more than the 4GB that I have. Since then I've been playing around with a 1GB RAM Disk that I made. Since another 8GB (which would give me 12GB total) only costs about $100, are there any good uses for RAM Disks?

System:
i7 860 @ 3.20Ghz
4GB DDR3
2 x 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID 0
Windows 7 Pro x64

Only few good uses come to mind - Scratch Disk and Temp Files; Apple had that technology back in the 90's.

Sometimes databases {e.g. SQL} files that are being processed / flattened - related database processing, and often large Spam Companies have multiple disks filling/fueling a RAM Drive to send out junk mail. I'm certain there are more.

Since it is extremely volatile the 'uses' are volatile and temporary.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Right now I have a 1GB RAM Disk with my temp files and browser cache since a site I was reading talk about those saving unnecessary writes to SSD drives. CrystalMark reports about 5,700 MB/s which is crazy fast.

Since the disc is cleared at each shutdown, is there any point in using this drive to load programs on to? I usually put my computer to sleep, so shutdowns only happen once or twice a week.

I don't do any database work or send out large amounts of spam. I feel like there has to be a practical use for a temporary disc that is this fast.

EDIT: HD Tune also reports my access time as 0.0 which is lower than any of my 3 SSD's or SSD RAID0 array.

The Scratch Disk is very useful for Photographers ans Photoshop.

There currently are 256-512GB SSD's with R/W of 700MB/s ~ 1400MB/s that are non-volatile so --- so no, small RAM Disks aren't good or practical for Apps then or now especially.

The flow of data is as slow as the 'slowest' source of data; meaning if the App is on the RAM Drive or not-> 1. It needs to be loaded into memory anyway; 2. the data {flow R/W} on the SSD will slow it down. Therefore, BOTH the App and the Data would need to be 'installed' or moved to the RAM Drive to be effective. THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

Your SSD Write cycles will out live most middle age people to their graves; typical span is 40~50 years. Some newer SSD's 80 years. In 5 years 1000MB/s SSD's will be norm; still worried about your "280 MB/s" SSD?!

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
My SSD RAID0 array only goes 10% as fast as the RAM Disk in R/W and the access times are slightly more, so the RAM Disk certainly is much faster.

I thinking that I could load all of my smaller programs onto the RAM Disk. Clone the RAM Disk onto my SSD drive. Then I could just copy the clone back to the RAM Disk every time I restart my computer. The shortcuts would be linked to the RAM Disk. That way it would just be a simple drag and drop of the program folders once or twice a week when I restart. It would make all my small, frequently used programs load really fast. Does that make sense?

I know SSD's are going to continue to get faster, larger, and cheaper. It will be a while before my Vertex 2's in RAID have to be replaced, but it will happen eventually.

RE: "10% as fast as the RAM Disk in R/W" ^ Duh where did I say otherwise??? Your edit DOUBLED almost from 3,500 to 5,700, I hate quoting, but editing...maybe needed.

My perspective is clear - If you want to constantly reinstall BOTH Apps *AND* Data onto a RAM Drive then "Go For It!" If you have an X58/1366 take 20GB of 24GB and have fun!

What I added is that TODAY for the same money I can get a NON-VOLATILE SSD with 700MB/s ~ 1400MB/s and NOT worry about the temporary nature of a RAM Drive which is more less useless in 99.999999999999% of the cases.