Metro 2003 and 5970 either single or quadfire

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
hi,
has anyone picked this up? game itself looks pretty good.Im surprised it runs in eyefinity..but something is off with the FPS. Im running bc2 and that game is smooth..seems metro 2033, while it runs ok, seems screwed up..

does this or any of the new titles support eyefinity + cross/quadfire with the 5k series?

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I'm playing with 2 5870's, it is by far the best looking game ever created, however with some of the DX11 effects turned on it is unplayable right now.

So I turn them off, but still run in DX11 mode to get the fps boost from DX11 api.

Two 5870's can't handle DX11 effects? that can't be right.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

It can 'handle' them, but not with acceptable minimum fps.

Honestly, I'm not surprised though, I fully expect a patch from the developers, and some performance increase from a future Catalyst driver release.

I will say that I am very impressed with how DX11 helps boost performance, so long as you don't enable the specific features, it really gives massive fps boost because of it's multi-threaded nature.

@ pnico, I use fraps.

I can understand and would accept that if it were only one card but two cards? No, not with all the smack talk being directed towards Nvidia both by the ATi faithful and a certain R. Huddy.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

No, not nearly, because Crysis couldn't be played at all on 'very high' settings, no matter what configuration you had, even after a few patches and new drivers from ati/nvidia.

This game however is quite playable on 'very high' you just need to disable two of the settings (DX11 settings) One is DX11 Depth of Field, and the other is tesselation.

These two settings are not included in the 'very high' category, they are seperate add-ons.

Another thing, I fully expect this game to get fps boosts from patches and driver updates, so I am not worried.
Also, while my rig may be quite good, there are others that boast more graphics and cpu horsepower that might play the game better.

Remember, in context, Crysis was not playable even with 'new' Nvidia tri-fire of their epic 8800 ultras. So this is not at all like Crysis.

With that all being said, let it be known, this game is in fact much better looking than Crysis and is the new king of the hill.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
"I can understand and would accept that if it were only one card but two cards? No, not with all the smack talk being directed towards Nvidia both by the ATi faithful and a certain R. Huddy." - MouseMonkey

(4) GTX 285's get's less than 5 fps in some games at 2560x1200..... does anybody conclude that they are any less powerful ? No, they realise there is a limitation somewhere (in this case the video memory of course).

I don't know what the limitation is for the Ati's DX11 cards using DX11 specific features, but I hope it ends up being a software side issue that can be remedied.

Edit: I screwed up the quote feature...

This isn't about GTX285's and super high resolutions it's about ATi making a big noise about how they are the first to use DX11 and how they have worked with game developers to ensure the best experiance possible because their cards have had a built in tessellation unit since the the 2 series and as such they are streets and months ahead of the competition, and why should you buy a game now only to have to wait a few months before you might be able to play it as it was meant to be played?

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Ok thanks for the info i was not so much of a gamer back in 2007.

I know you are trying to blame the cards here, but it's quite possible it's the dev's error. It's like Dark Void. Even 295's can't play it with physX at low settings.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

Can you blame them for making big noise about DX11 ?

I'm sure Nvidia did it with DX10...

and no doubt whoever is first to market with a DX12 part will do the same exact thing.

If you are an educated buyer you can see through the marketing hype and still understand that you are getting a great product.

Why is it that when the veracity of the 5 series' prowess is questioned you would feel that I'm blaming the cards when I should be blaming the developer? I was not the one who posted this thread raving about how good ATi cards were in the game in question, which is not Dark Void by the way. And just in case you think this is some sort of put down on that poster the thread does link to a site that shows the 5850 doing rather well so why does two 5870's not do a lot better?

When one of the features that you have to disable is tessellation, then yes I do think it's something that should be raising some eyebrows. After all this is a feature that ATi have been pushing for a little while now to the extent of having the hardware built into the last three series and berating their competitors for not doing the same and holding back the whole gaming experience.

Why do you like to attack ATi, and not Nvidia when they do the same?

PhysX is the big hype with Nvidia, and there are definately problems with some physX implemintations. Dark Void doesn't perform with good min FPS with 295's and physX set to low.

Sometimes the dev's make mistakes and shoot too far.

There are several other DX11 games that do work with DX11 and a single 5870.

You do realize that DX11 has more features than tessellation, right?

Why is it that any time questions are asked you see that as an attack? And as tessellation is one of the main features of DX11 and something that ATi cards have allegedly been able to do for quite some time I do think it's a valid question to ask why the feature has to be disabled when two 5870's are being used considering the resolution they should be able to handle it's not like they should be breaking a sweat on only one monitor, so why don't you take the fanboy hat off and look to the question being asked?

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
good point..the 5k ati series cards are supposed to do dx11 well in addition to tesellation and other features..BUT in a game like metro 2033, me personally, when I disable tessllatio, only then do I get nearly 50-60 fps...
If Ati cards can do dx11 and its features well, why do I need to turn it off?

my guess, and according to a senior ati rep, the software was designed better for nvidia hardware and it is only a matter of time until ati releases a driver update to match and exceed the performance of dx11 on its cards..

they tell me often, the cards arent the problem..

im running a quadfire setup..and even when im running in single mode, the 5970 has issues with tesselation..wonder why?