Sign in with
Your question

Dead power supply?

Last response: in Components
June 14, 2010 3:30:40 PM

I think my power supply went kaput this weekend, but I want to run it by you guys before I go out and buy a new one.

So I shut my computer down, and Windows Update ran (Win 7 is installed) and installed 15 updates. I later went to power it back up and I got nothing....no boot up...dead in the water. After unplugging and plugging in and trying to get it to run, I noticed that there was a clicking noise and the read light on the DVD Burner was lighting on/off with the ticking sound.

So I unplugged the burner, and still the same. I unplugged the HD, then gfx card, until all that was left was the mobo plugged in. The ticking noise was still there, and the fan on the CPU would make a little jump along with the clicking sound.

Soooo...I assume its the power supply? I dont know why it would go bad. I ran a fairly light setup, havent changed anything on it in a year and its hummed along just fine. Now, it just clicks at me and the CPU fan flinches along to the click.

More about : dead power supply

June 14, 2010 3:58:29 PM

Probably PSU. Take it in to get tested at your local PC reair shop. If it is bad replace it. Support your local Shops.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2010 3:59:01 PM

what make is that power supply
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2010 5:29:02 PM

what power supply? how long have you had this pc? what are the specs?
m
l
June 14, 2010 6:11:52 PM

OK guys the specs MEAN NOTHING in this case. He needs to have it tested. Then it can be determined what to do. Also it really doesn't matter how long he has had the PSU either. The fact remains that it the pc is not working and the only way to figure out what is going on is to test the suspected failed parts.

Do yourself a favor and get it tested like I previously stated. At least then you will know if its bad or not. Then you can diagnose what ever else is wrong with the PC if it was a good PSU.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2010 6:37:38 PM

if we know more about his comp we can help him better. i do agree with u tho
m
l
June 15, 2010 12:07:58 AM

Sorry but it makes no difference as to how you can help, because you know more about said system. All he needs to know is what I stated, the rest will come when the power supply is tested. As for ways to help other than what I stated, one would be to suggest a good PSU. In that case knowing what the system is would be of value. BUT UNTIL IT IS TESTED we cannot even suggest a PSU - for reasons that it may be something else. In that case we have no idea what to suggest. AND what if it has had a power spike and fried numerous components, then what? We suggest components for a rebuild right?!
m
l
June 15, 2010 2:19:04 AM

xtc chill, at least he want some background details to support his problems.. he just want to know. part of curiosity ....
m
l
June 15, 2010 2:38:17 AM

OK OK Im sorry guys! bad day I have had today and I dont mean to take it out here. I apologize to shovenose and to the OP for my rude bluntness and my attitude. In cases like these, as a Technician, it means nothing as to what make or model it is only if it works or not. BUT thats not a good excuse for my attitude. somebody pet my head ...... I need it.

[:lectrocrew:2]

Oh thanks me!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 15, 2010 3:55:49 AM

xtc28 said:
OK OK Im sorry guys! bad day I have had today and I dont mean to take it out here. I apologize to shovenose and to the OP for my rude bluntness and my attitude. In cases like these, as a Technician, it means nothing as to what make or model it is only if it works or not. BUT thats not a good excuse for my attitude. somebody pet my head ...... I need it.

[:lectrocrew:2]

Oh thanks me!

ok apology accepted...i have bad days too sometime :) 
heres my lame attempt to put your head over the internet:

-----<
(^^)
___

the ---------< is a hand and the other thing is a head. lol
m
l
June 15, 2010 9:37:50 PM

OK everyone, now calm down! I'm sorry I didnt post specs and caused such problems! :) 

Anywho here's my update:

I was pretty positive it was a crapped out power supply, so I dug around my box o' parts and found an old PSU and gave it a shot. This time no, clicking, the fan ran for about 2 seconds and stopped....did that everytime I tried to fire it up. So, I unplugged all compenents except the mobo and Hard drive, and Viola! It booted right up.

The power supply I switched in to test was a 450 watt supply, which isnt enough juice for my set up. The PSU that died was a XXX ATRIX PSAX 550 watt unit. And it died.

So here's my specs. What size of a power supply should I get?

GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: Phenom X2 550

GFX: Radeon 5770

2 sitcks of 2 GB DDR RAM of uhhh..some sort

SATA Hard drive

DVD burner

Thats it. How much juice do I need? I wonder if I wasnt pushing it too far with the 550/w psu.

Thanks! No fighting, now!
m
l
June 16, 2010 12:59:14 AM

someone correct me if i am wrong; 550 watts should have been more than enough for your setup....

try a different brand of PSU next time as it sounds like that one crapped out on you; i'd suggest getting it from a well known brand this time.

try Corsair.. i would suggest the vx550,..... or hx520/620/650 if you don't like non-modular PSU's

http://www.corsair.com/products/vx/default.aspx
http://www.corsair.com/products/hx/default.aspx
http://www.corsair.com/products/hx650/default.aspx

m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
June 16, 2010 1:31:39 AM

TheEscapeArtist said:
OK everyone, now calm down! I'm sorry I didnt post specs and caused such problems! :) 

Anywho here's my update:

I was pretty positive it was a crapped out power supply, so I dug around my box o' parts and found an old PSU and gave it a shot. This time no, clicking, the fan ran for about 2 seconds and stopped....did that everytime I tried to fire it up. So, I unplugged all compenents except the mobo and Hard drive, and Viola! It booted right up.

The power supply I switched in to test was a 450 watt supply, which isnt enough juice for my set up. The PSU that died was a XXX ATRIX PSAX 550 watt unit. And it died.

So here's my specs. What size of a power supply should I get?

GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: Phenom X2 550

GFX: Radeon 5770

2 sitcks of 2 GB DDR RAM of uhhh..some sort

SATA Hard drive

DVD burner

Thats it. How much juice do I need? I wonder if I wasnt pushing it too far with the 550/w psu.

A good quality 450 watt unit would be fine for your setup, the one you used was probably just another dud.
Since you have to get another one I would suggest something known to be of better quality than an Atrix ( never heard of it ).
Antec 520, good on a budget
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Corsair 550 mentioned above is a better option than the Antec, but a little costlier
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 25, 2010 4:07:45 PM

OK, so the saga continues. I got a rocketfish 600w PSU. Popped it in, worked like a charm. Yay. I had to leave town for a week, so I powered down my PC, and when I came home I turned it back on, but nothing happened. No boot no beep, no nothing. So I fiddled around, reseated everything, still nothing. So I got my ol' 450w testing PSU, and it worked, but was giving me video card error beeps and not booting.

So I thought maybe I bought a dud power supply....again. So I exchanged it, got a new one, put it in, and same thing. Absolutely nothing. Like it wasnt even there.

I plugged in my test psu, and again, it powered it up, but it wouldnt boot. Just got the long beep followed by 2 short, which is video I believe.

So what now? Bad motherboard? I had my radeon 5770 unplugged and was using onboard video when testing. Im at a loss!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 25, 2010 5:03:38 PM

rocketfish is crap to. could you please just buy a high-quality power supply and save yourself the trouble. but it could be that when the rocvketfish failed it took the motherboard or a different piece with it.
m
l
!