Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

MSI GTX 260 Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 17, 2010 3:29:14 AM

I'm new to building PC's. This is my first complete build. I just built a computer and now that I have everything hooked up, I'm getting no video from my video card. Is this a graphics card problem? There are no onboard graphics on the motherboard, so I'm sort of at a disadvantage. I've checked and the card is compatible and is receiving power (the fans are working). EVERYTHING is brand new except the hard drive, which is the one I used in my old computer. (Does this have something to do with my problem?) I was wondering if anyone had a clue what might be the problem. Drivers? Dead card? Bad PCIe 2.0 slot? Any help would be appreciated. I'll list specs below.

Asus P6TD Deluxe (Motherboard)
Intel Core i7 930 (CPU)
G. Skill 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel (RAM)
MSI N260GTX Twin Frozr OC (Video Card)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB (HDD)
LG 24x DVD/CD RW (Optical Drive)
SilverStone 850w (PSU)
Windows 7 64-Bit (OS)

More about : msi gtx 260 problem

a c 189 U Graphics card
March 17, 2010 5:08:55 AM

Are u sure all of the cables connector are properly inserted?
6pin power connector for your GTX260?

Are the fans spin up? try reseated the card and boot on safe mode, see if that works... :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2010 6:00:07 AM

what kind of panel do you have?

make sure that the lcd panel is set to receive the proper signal from your card (cable dependent)
Related resources
March 17, 2010 4:59:48 PM

@ wa1 I tried reseating the card and still no luck. Both 6 pin power cables are connected and the fans are spinning.

@wh3resmycar I've tried hooking it up both both VGA and HDMI using 2 different monitors and each of the DVI ports on the card, but still none of them receive signal.

**Update**

I just now noticed I'm not getting any beep codes when I power the system on....
a c 189 U Graphics card
March 18, 2010 2:00:23 AM

Umm, have another computer? So u can check whether your card is broke or not...
March 18, 2010 3:39:15 AM

Thanks for you help everyone. I now have video! Which led to another problem. I can't boot Windows from my old HDD. I was told to boot from my Windows disk and do a repair reinstall. The only problem is that I downloaded the upgrade through Digital River and I don't see the file anymore and I have no physical disk. Should I just take this problem to Digital River Customer Services and see if they will allow me to download the file again? (It was legally purchased and I still have the product key and order number.) Or does anyone have any other solutions? (I know this is off my original topic, but thanks for the help.)
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2010 3:52:29 AM

Call Digital Rivers, hassle them a bit. You may end up having to see if they will be willing to sell the disks alone. You shouldnt have to pay anything above $20 for the disks.

Forgot to mention do you have Windows 7 64 bit Professional?
a c 189 U Graphics card
March 18, 2010 3:52:58 AM

It seems like u have a problem with your old HDD.
Then u can try to contact them, see if u are allowed to download the file again.

How old your HDD?
U can install the OS in your newest HDD.
March 18, 2010 6:45:11 AM

@AsAnAtheist The version I had was Windows 7 Home Premium. It was bought on discount because I was a CIT student.

@wa1 At the moment I think all I have to do it contact Digital River and see if I can receive another copy of Windows 7 from them. My old HDD is configured to my old system (mobo). I'll need to do a repair reinstall of Windows so that Windows' system files will recognize my new mobo. (correct me if I'm wrong)
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2010 6:54:27 AM

You dont need to do a repair reinstall to recognize the new motherboard. Windows 7 will automatically notice different hardware and will ask you within 1 hour to a few days to reactivate windows 7 because of the change in hardware.

@downloading the Windows 7 Home Premium thing... Try the link you received via email, the one that downloads a Download client. I found that even after a few days after the release of Windows 7 I could still download it. If it doesnt work, give Microsoft a call tell them your a student and purchase the Digital River's student version, and if you could receive a download again because you need to reinstall the operating system. They may say they cannot do that but tell them that it is not right that you paid for the software but failed to receive a method to keep the software as Microsoft did not have a legal tool to create a dvd from it. Most likely they will either: Let you download it again, or offer you the DVD's for under $20 (should be around $13.99 or so).

Good luck. Also I asked what version because I have Windows 7 Professional DVD's I created on the release date (midnight actually lol, I stayed up until 4 am)...
March 24, 2010 7:46:34 PM

I contacted Digital River and was able to download the file again. As far Win7 recognizing the new hardware, it didn't work for me. Windows boots up all the way the the Windows Start Up screen and then freezes halfway through. I have 2 HDDs so I guess I'll just load a clean install on the fresh HDD and then transfer the files from my old computer. I just don't feel like going through the tedious process of having to reinstall all the software again.
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2010 9:06:05 PM

snisleziggy said:
I contacted Digital River and was able to download the file again. As far Win7 recognizing the new hardware, it didn't work for me. Windows boots up all the way the the Windows Start Up screen and then freezes halfway through. I have 2 HDDs so I guess I'll just load a clean install on the fresh HDD and then transfer the files from my old computer. I just don't feel like going through the tedious process of having to reinstall all the software again.


Next time be smart and make a bootable DVD from the download. Use google, Microsoft made a tool designed to do it for you.
March 25, 2010 1:00:36 AM

I used oscdimg from the command prompt to make it a bootable ISO, then burned it to a DVD.

Earlier you said Windows 7 should automatically recognize the new hardware, but it didn't. I was saying it makes it to the windows start up screen, then automatically reboots.
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2010 2:13:40 AM

snisleziggy said:
I used oscdimg from the command prompt to make it a bootable ISO, then burned it to a DVD.

Earlier you said Windows 7 should automatically recognize the new hardware, but it didn't. I was saying it makes it to the windows start up screen, then automatically reboots.


Obviously there is issues with the system. Did you install Windows 7 on the new hard drive? If you didn't do it, tell me the result. If it does the same thing, there is an issue somewhere, perhaps badly configured ram, unstable processor. Let me know what happens.
March 25, 2010 3:27:45 AM

snisleziggy said:
I used oscdimg from the command prompt to make it a bootable ISO, then burned it to a DVD.

Earlier you said Windows 7 should automatically recognize the new hardware, but it didn't. I was saying it makes it to the windows start up screen, then automatically reboots.


I was told by GeekSquad that you have to install the Os on the hardware being used at the time!

The example they gave its like taking your brain and putting it in someone elses body.

You must install Windows 7 on the natural hardware so it can set up all the right BIOS/CMOS settings, Drivers, Mhz, Ghz, HT, Dual channel links, Nbridge, Sbridge, Graphics, Sound and all ports on Mb and Back of Mb.

Thank you for your post and thread though I really hope I helped you out if you want to keep the files on that old HDD then you must buy a new one install Windows 7 and run the old one in there as a slave HD.



a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2010 3:56:39 AM

SHANEMARINES said:
I was told by GeekSquad that you have to install the Os on the hardware being used at the time!

The example they gave its like taking your brain and putting it in someone elses body.

You must install Windows 7 on the natural hardware so it can set up all the right BIOS/CMOS settings, Drivers, Mhz, Ghz, HT, Dual channel links, Nbridge, Sbridge, Graphics, Sound and all ports on Mb and Back of Mb.

Thank you for your post and thread though I really hope I helped you out if you want to keep the files on that old HDD then you must buy a new one install Windows 7 and run the old one in there as a slave HD.


The real brain is the processor, the motherboard is the central nervous system, ram is short term memory, HDD is long term memory, the operating system would be the senses (tactile, visual, olfactory, taste, and auditory) ?

While they are right in that an operating system (apart from Linux/a few other open source OS) should be re-installed on the hardware being used, it is not always necessary. I have often done swaps, used my hard drive in other rigs and haven't had a problem yet.. I know there are times where drivers, libraries, and registries can become corrupted thus requiring a fresh install again, however that has not happened to me.
March 25, 2010 2:53:45 PM

AsAnAtheist said:
The real brain is the processor, the motherboard is the central nervous system, ram is short term memory, HDD is long term memory, the operating system would be the senses (tactile, visual, olfactory, taste, and auditory) ?

While they are right in that an operating system (apart from Linux/a few other open source OS) should be re-installed on the hardware being used, it is not always necessary. I have often done swaps, used my hard drive in other rigs and haven't had a problem yet.. I know there are times where drivers, libraries, and registries can become corrupted thus requiring a fresh install again, however that has not happened to me.


Hum...

I have also ran hardware on a harddrive that I took from one rig to the other and just un-installed all the drives and re-installed them so Windows could use the hardware at hand. All I know is installing Windows on the default hardware is the best thing for the computer whether it be for Gaming/GraphicsArt/Multi-Media/Networking/Programing/Ect.
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2010 3:48:49 PM

SHANEMARINES said:
Hum...

I have also ran hardware on a harddrive that I took from one rig to the other and just un-installed all the drives and re-installed them so Windows could use the hardware at hand. All I know is installing Windows on the default hardware is the best thing for the computer whether it be for Gaming/GraphicsArt/Multi-Media/Networking/Programing/Ect.


Like I said I agree with reinstalling Windows whenever you use a new computer it is an ideal situation. Also I managed to run my hard drive on my laptop, I thought that was kinda funny..
March 25, 2010 3:53:16 PM

AsAnAtheist said:
Like I said I agree with reinstalling Windows whenever you use a new computer it is an ideal situation. Also I managed to run my hard drive on my laptop, I thought that was kinda funny..


Crazy lol.

Ya I know your a huge help I've been on a lot of different threads with you and you just solve the questions people have really fast and give great detail.
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2010 4:22:00 PM

SHANEMARINES said:
Crazy lol.

Ya I know your a huge help I've been on a lot of different threads with you and you just solve the questions people have really fast and give great detail.


Thanks. I seen you also on a couple threads as well, you provide great advice as well.

@OP Are you still having problems?
March 27, 2010 6:09:52 PM

I'm up and running guys! Ended up burning Win 7 image at 2.4x and made sure it was verified, loaded it on my new HDD, popped my other HDD in and now it recognizes both drives and everything seems to be running smoothly! Thanks for all your help guys.
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 10:48:33 PM

snisleziggy said:
I'm up and running guys! Ended up burning Win 7 image at 2.4x and made sure it was verified, loaded it on my new HDD, popped my other HDD in and now it recognizes both drives and everything seems to be running smoothly! Thanks for all your help guys.


Good job.
March 29, 2010 3:00:02 AM

snisleziggy said:
I'm up and running guys! Ended up burning Win 7 image at 2.4x and made sure it was verified, loaded it on my new HDD, popped my other HDD in and now it recognizes both drives and everything seems to be running smoothly! Thanks for all your help guys.


Nice man!
!