MSI GTX 260 Problem

snisleziggy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I'm new to building PC's. This is my first complete build. I just built a computer and now that I have everything hooked up, I'm getting no video from my video card. Is this a graphics card problem? There are no onboard graphics on the motherboard, so I'm sort of at a disadvantage. I've checked and the card is compatible and is receiving power (the fans are working). EVERYTHING is brand new except the hard drive, which is the one I used in my old computer. (Does this have something to do with my problem?) I was wondering if anyone had a clue what might be the problem. Drivers? Dead card? Bad PCIe 2.0 slot? Any help would be appreciated. I'll list specs below.

Asus P6TD Deluxe (Motherboard)
Intel Core i7 930 (CPU)
G. Skill 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel (RAM)
MSI N260GTX Twin Frozr OC (Video Card)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB (HDD)
LG 24x DVD/CD RW (Optical Drive)
SilverStone 850w (PSU)
Windows 7 64-Bit (OS)

snisleziggy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
@ wa1 I tried reseating the card and still no luck. Both 6 pin power cables are connected and the fans are spinning.

@wh3resmycar I've tried hooking it up both both VGA and HDMI using 2 different monitors and each of the DVI ports on the card, but still none of them receive signal.

**Update**

I just now noticed I'm not getting any beep codes when I power the system on....

snisleziggy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Thanks for you help everyone. I now have video! Which led to another problem. I can't boot Windows from my old HDD. I was told to boot from my Windows disk and do a repair reinstall. The only problem is that I downloaded the upgrade through Digital River and I don't see the file anymore and I have no physical disk. Should I just take this problem to Digital River Customer Services and see if they will allow me to download the file again? (It was legally purchased and I still have the product key and order number.) Or does anyone have any other solutions? (I know this is off my original topic, but thanks for the help.)

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Call Digital Rivers, hassle them a bit. You may end up having to see if they will be willing to sell the disks alone. You shouldnt have to pay anything above $20 for the disks.

Forgot to mention do you have Windows 7 64 bit Professional?

snisleziggy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
@AsAnAtheist The version I had was Windows 7 Home Premium. It was bought on discount because I was a CIT student.

@wa1 At the moment I think all I have to do it contact Digital River and see if I can receive another copy of Windows 7 from them. My old HDD is configured to my old system (mobo). I'll need to do a repair reinstall of Windows so that Windows' system files will recognize my new mobo. (correct me if I'm wrong)

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
You dont need to do a repair reinstall to recognize the new motherboard. Windows 7 will automatically notice different hardware and will ask you within 1 hour to a few days to reactivate windows 7 because of the change in hardware.

@downloading the Windows 7 Home Premium thing... Try the link you received via email, the one that downloads a Download client. I found that even after a few days after the release of Windows 7 I could still download it. If it doesnt work, give Microsoft a call tell them your a student and purchase the Digital River's student version, and if you could receive a download again because you need to reinstall the operating system. They may say they cannot do that but tell them that it is not right that you paid for the software but failed to receive a method to keep the software as Microsoft did not have a legal tool to create a dvd from it. Most likely they will either: Let you download it again, or offer you the DVD's for under $20 (should be around $13.99 or so).

Good luck. Also I asked what version because I have Windows 7 Professional DVD's I created on the release date (midnight actually lol, I stayed up until 4 am)...

snisleziggy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I contacted Digital River and was able to download the file again. As far Win7 recognizing the new hardware, it didn't work for me. Windows boots up all the way the the Windows Start Up screen and then freezes halfway through. I have 2 HDDs so I guess I'll just load a clean install on the fresh HDD and then transfer the files from my old computer. I just don't feel like going through the tedious process of having to reinstall all the software again.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Next time be smart and make a bootable DVD from the download. Use google, Microsoft made a tool designed to do it for you.

snisleziggy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I used oscdimg from the command prompt to make it a bootable ISO, then burned it to a DVD.

Earlier you said Windows 7 should automatically recognize the new hardware, but it didn't. I was saying it makes it to the windows start up screen, then automatically reboots.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Obviously there is issues with the system. Did you install Windows 7 on the new hard drive? If you didn't do it, tell me the result. If it does the same thing, there is an issue somewhere, perhaps badly configured ram, unstable processor. Let me know what happens.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

I was told by GeekSquad that you have to install the Os on the hardware being used at the time!

The example they gave its like taking your brain and putting it in someone elses body.

You must install Windows 7 on the natural hardware so it can set up all the right BIOS/CMOS settings, Drivers, Mhz, Ghz, HT, Dual channel links, Nbridge, Sbridge, Graphics, Sound and all ports on Mb and Back of Mb.

Thank you for your post and thread though I really hope I helped you out if you want to keep the files on that old HDD then you must buy a new one install Windows 7 and run the old one in there as a slave HD.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

The real brain is the processor, the motherboard is the central nervous system, ram is short term memory, HDD is long term memory, the operating system would be the senses (tactile, visual, olfactory, taste, and auditory) ?

While they are right in that an operating system (apart from Linux/a few other open source OS) should be re-installed on the hardware being used, it is not always necessary. I have often done swaps, used my hard drive in other rigs and haven't had a problem yet.. I know there are times where drivers, libraries, and registries can become corrupted thus requiring a fresh install again, however that has not happened to me.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Hum...

I have also ran hardware on a harddrive that I took from one rig to the other and just un-installed all the drives and re-installed them so Windows could use the hardware at hand. All I know is installing Windows on the default hardware is the best thing for the computer whether it be for Gaming/GraphicsArt/Multi-Media/Networking/Programing/Ect.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Like I said I agree with reinstalling Windows whenever you use a new computer it is an ideal situation. Also I managed to run my hard drive on my laptop, I thought that was kinda funny..

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Crazy lol.

Ya I know your a huge help I've been on a lot of different threads with you and you just solve the questions people have really fast and give great detail.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Thanks. I seen you also on a couple threads as well, you provide great advice as well.

@OP Are you still having problems?

snisleziggy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I'm up and running guys! Ended up burning Win 7 image at 2.4x and made sure it was verified, loaded it on my new HDD, popped my other HDD in and now it recognizes both drives and everything seems to be running smoothly! Thanks for all your help guys.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Good job.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Nice man!