Heatsink for i5 3570k in an asus sabertooth z77

guutty

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
hello this is my first post on this very informative site. but i couldnt find any posts with this question. i have a i5 3570k in a sabertooth z77. i have slightly overclocked it too 4.1ghz and 4.3ghz and for both its running in the 60-70 range. i wanted it too run cooler and im not sure if anyone can suggest a good heatsink and thermal paste that will fit on this motherboard while using 4 sticks of ram. i also have an antec 3 hundred illusion case. i think i had a problem putting the stock heatsink on becuase my pc is running in the upper 30's while only under 10-20% load. i moved the cpu and heatsink from another motherboad i was using untill i got the sabertooth but only used it for like 2 weeks and i didnt apply new paste i just put the heatsink back on with the paste that was still on it and the cpu which could also be why its running slightly hot. anyways i need a new heatsink and thermal paste. can anyone with a similar setup give a suggestion? as well as what the overclock settings are at and their temps would be nice. thanks for reading

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012

OH NO! stop your pc!! really you reused old thermal Paste? really turn your pc off!!

if you have 4 sticks of ram in, you prolly dont have room for a very big cooler. are they low profile memory sticks?
you are gonna need a slim one. or just make sure it can clear your memory sticks!

as for the thermal paste (tim) there are a few good choices out there. mx-4, arctic silver, some others that escape me right now.

...and really dont use old tim ;) its gross!

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
so you took the heat sink off, you then removed the cpu from the old board. the you put the cpu in the new board, and set the heat sink back on top of it?

...possible air bubbles :( that can add heat.

get some new paste, lint free towel (i use coffee filters) and some 99% rubbing alcohol.

take it apart. clean off, both the cpu, and the heat sink. drop some paste on cpu. re install heat sink.

be safe :)

...what kind of ram do you have? a full spec would help!

guutty

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

first off thanks for taking the time to help. yes thats exactly what i did. which im assuming why its been running hotter but its only been running hot the past 4 days. i dont have any thermal paste so im going to have to wait till i order my new heatsink and paste.
my pc specs are:
case: antec three hundred illusion
MOBO: asus sabertooth z77
CPU: i5 3570k
GPU: gtx 650 ti
RAM: 16gb corsair vengeance 4x4gb
PSU: ULTRALSP750 750 watt

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
ok, just keep an eye on it. I wouldnt push it to much. for the simple fact, that you may have gotten some debris in there as well.

as for the heat sink, you have a couple of choices. as you have ram with tall heat spreaders on it. you are gonna have to get something slim, that wont hang over the memory modules. or you are gonna have to get something bigger, that actually clear them. with your budget, you will prolly want something like this

http://www.microcenter.com/product/373766/GeminII_S524_Universal_CPU_Cooler

as something like a CM 212 evo, will not clear your memory banks.

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
damn double post again.

anyone else having trouble with the site.

after a typing and submission, I get an error message. if i reload the page it double posts. If i jump back to the forum, It does not up date the thread for me. i.e. it doesn't place a little blue flag!

guutty

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
that looks like a good cooler. im gunna do mesurements and look for more options just so i can see whatll fit, worst case scenario could i just take 1 stick of ram out?

Mt Power

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
first way to jump around thread to thread, and be condescending! if you have a more valid point make it then go.

second not all people are comfortable with bending clips, and removing heat spreaders. so its ok to give them an alternative method!

third I didnt "recommend" the heat sink, I was using it as an example. also he said he has a budget, just pointing out stuff in his price range!

fourth, the reusing the paste is not going top blow it up! but there is a good chance dirt , and or debris got onto the paste, and that can be damaging!

please think, and be a little more courteous :)

zpwslayer

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2012

Its been doing the same thing to me the past couple of days now for some reason. I have no idea why. :pt1cable:

There's some terrible posts in this thread guutty, I strongly recommend you take a second before seriously considering any of the advice in here.

Again, OP, please be careful because there's a lot of really bad advice in this thread. Really, really stupid advice.

There's a good chance dirt or debris got onto the paste? lol?

Just as much of a chance of dirt or debris 'blowing on' when you clean the heatsink completely and re-apply thermal paste.

You make alarmist posts, terrible recommendations, overpriced suggestions, and show a clear lack of familiarity with components beyond maybe 1-2 sets that you've owned yourself.

Sorry if I come across offensively but misinformation bothers me quite a bit. I don't mind ignorance, I was in the OP's spot not very long ago, but there's an amazing lack of googling around here (which is fine, sometimes you don't know what exactly to google and not everyone knows how to search creatively).

But there's literally thousands of people with your exact heatsink, ram, cpu, etc. And they've taken pictures, bitched, complained, moaned, praised, on how all of this stuff works and fits together.

And I get even more bothered when people recommend bad or overpriced hardware, especially for a very simple problem.

Wonder why you get negativity back towards you?

You're so free with insulting the host of the responders in the thread, can you not learn to make your points without the insults?

You say you're bothered by misinformation, but you do not have a problem giving it out!

just remove the heatspreader, problem solved. And no, on ddr3 you don't need the heatspreader. It's not like DDR2 ram where you ran 2.2v, ddr3 ram even at extreme 1.8v doesn't get hot enough to warrant a heatspreader (that doesn't do anything anyways).

Did you ever consider removing a memory modules heat spreader also removes the warranty!

Quote below from G-Skills warranty policy!

They're pretty much all going to have the same policy, but Google is your friend!

Warranty Exclusions
G.SKILL lifetime warranty does not apply to any product on which original identification information or warranty stickers have been altered, defaced, or removed. G.SKILL lifetime warranty also does not cover any damage to this product that results from accident, misuse, neglect, abnormal mechanical or environmental conditions, natural disasters, unauthorized disassembly or modifications, improper installation or assembly, removal or reassembly of heat spreader, improper packaging or handling, insufficient or excessive electrical supply. G.SKILL lifetime warranty is also void under the following conditions: missing, damaged, or bent pins; missing, detached, or loose chips; damaged or missing connectors.

We try to advise others here at THGF so as not to harm their hardware or warranties in the process, if you bring up removing the heat spreader as a possibility, you also need to make them aware of the possible warranty loss.

Hardware modifications is most always instant warranty voiding!

As for thermal paste, Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra is unbeatable

Cool Laboratiries Liquid Ultra will also cost you your CPUs warranty removing it!

It was one of the compounds tested in the Thermal Roundup in my sig., I ended up having to lap the heat spreader of my AMD 965BE because of it.

Additionally I found it's initial performance degraded over time!

Maybe if you at least try to come across without insulting the entire thread of posters trying to help, and get your own misinformation correct, things will go better for you here.

Why not consider that!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There is a very strong sense of animosity and arguments based on the information being debated.

Please provide links for all the facts you are trying to point out as being erroneous. At this point, you are basically demanding that users take your word as fact without any example data to show your talking points.

4ryan6 has made some VERY important points above:

Did you ever consider removing a memory modules heat spreader also removes the warranty!

We try to advise others here at THGF so as not to harm their hardware or warranties in the process, if you bring up removing the heat spreader as a possibility, you also need to make them aware of the possible warranty loss.

Hardware modifications is most always instant warranty voiding!

guutty

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
guys what happened to if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all. im new to this and i couldnt find through google somone with the same setup as me. im just asking for a starting point as i dont know what the best hardware is these days since my dad hasnt been building computers since the 90's and im starting out now. theirs no need to argue im not going to just go and buy the first thing somone suggests either im going to look other stuff up. i dont want to remove the heat spreader since i dont even know how. i know its a simple problem and probably just putting new paste would keep my temps low enouigh, but i wanted to OC a bit so i thought i woould get a stronger heatsink. im just curious and these arguments defenitly turned me off to this site. cant you just state your opinions without insulting someone?