Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why cant it just work

Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2010 10:43:52 PM

i built my own computer. and since day one i have been having problems with it. i am not a computer genius and this is the first computer i have built. i had help from friends and family but it they aren't always here to help me with my problems.

currently my computer is a asus motherboard with a Amd phemon 2.4 quad core processor, 6gs of 7200 corsair ram, an ati radeon hd 5770 videocard, and a coolmax 850 watt psu. my monitor is a t260 hd 1900x1200 resolution.

well the reason and i am saying all this is because my computer is able to run games such as company of heroes and justcause 2 with no problem. however when i try running gta 4 or metro 2033 it lags unbearably. i meet the recommended settings and exceed it. please help me (:

More about : work

a b B Homebuilt system
April 4, 2010 11:22:44 PM

I can't say for sure on the Metro 2033 but GTA 4 is very heavy CPU driven and based on what you've listed as your CPU, you don't have the horsepower to push the game. GTA4 has been known to push even the Core i7 920/930. It is a typical game that didn't translate well to the PC from the Console.

I don't think you have an issue, except you are running into a few bottlenecks on your CPU that you have not expected. I would think about upgrading to the Phenom II X4 955 down the road, if your MOBO will support it. This will help lessen the bottlenecks.
April 4, 2010 11:25:20 PM

so what do i do to make it run better... my cpu is much better then the one they recommend for this game...
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 4, 2010 11:52:05 PM

You have two options (Based on GTA 4 being CPU driven)... IMO

1) Upgrade your CPU to the Phenom II X4 955 or the Phenom II X6 (next month if will work on your MOBO)
2) Run the games on lower resolution, which will decrease the demand on the CPU during gaming.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2010 12:26:32 AM

Agree, at 2.4 ghz your processor is a bottleneck. I say this over and over, it doesn't matter what the processor is, or how many cores it has (well number of cores do matter) you want a processor running at 3ghz or faster. Raw speed in mhz is STILL important in games. For the games you are playing, buy a fast quad core. You won't regret it.
April 5, 2010 12:45:26 AM

even if my processor isnt the best should i be able to run the game on somewhat high settings? because i lowered my settings...your right it lags less but there is still lag
April 5, 2010 1:00:15 AM

I think you've been looking at the minimum requirements, instead of the 'recommended' specs. For example, for metro 2033:

Full System Requirements for Metro 2033
Mar-03-2010

Fresh in today.

Be warned, the game specs suggest some real modern computer beef to even get this one to run.

Minimum:

* Dual core CPU (any Core 2 Duo or better will do)
* DirectX 9, Shader Model 3 compliant graphics cards (GeForce 8800, GeForce GT220 and above)
* 1GB RAM

Recommended:

* Any Quad Core or 3.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU
* DirectX 10 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 260 and above)
* 2GB RAM

Optimum:

* Core i7 CPU
* NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
* As much RAM as possible (8GB+)
* Fast HDD or SSD :shock:

Enabling 3D Vision
Metro 2033 utilizes NVIDIA 3D Vision with compatible cards and hardware. To play in 3D you will require:

* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 and above recommended
* A 120Hz (or above) monitor
* NVIDIA 3D Vision kit
* Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7

The recommended says 3.0+ GHz dual core. I doubt it can utilize hyperthreading to use four cores in a quad, so the requirement for individual core is 3.0+ GHz.

With a 2.4 Quad, one based on older Phenom tech (intead of the Phenom II) don't expect normal framerates at any resolution higher than 1280x1024
April 5, 2010 7:46:29 AM

do not upgrade cpu, getting caught up in the phony numbers is a crack addiction here at toms hardware.

shutdown unnecessary stuff, keep up on chipset drivers and video..does the game need firewall permissions? hit alt+tab after game is running, see if there is a message box trying to invade about something... it could even be a latency staying conservative. You got plenty of power there. synchromizing has never ever been a good thing when it comes to video..all the way back to pci slots, agp, and now pci-e.

windows 7 fixed my issues..the premium version..it only took 5 years. :whistle: 

my first build burned my face red...not only from embarassment.. you are doing good in other words. :lol: 

April 5, 2010 11:40:34 AM

GTA4 is a terribly coded game that get's poor FPS on high settings on even the latest hardware. It's a joke.

Metro2033 is VERY hardware intensive. I have to run it on LOW for my system just to break 30FPS half the time. That's with an 8800GTS 512mb Overclocked, and a Q6600 @ 3.2ghz, and 8gb of RAM.

So Metro2033 SHOULD run ok at LOW settings, maybe Medium, but everyone has their preferences on acceptable FPS. Not sure about GTA4 as i have never played it.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2010 2:27:22 PM

bgd73 said:
do not upgrade cpu, getting caught up in the phony numbers is a crack addiction here at toms hardware.

shutdown unnecessary stuff, keep up on chipset drivers and video..does the game need firewall permissions? hit alt+tab after game is running, see if there is a message box trying to invade about something... it could even be a latency staying conservative. You got plenty of power there. synchromizing has never ever been a good thing when it comes to video..all the way back to pci slots, agp, and now pci-e.

windows 7 fixed my issues..the premium version..it only took 5 years. :whistle: 

my first build burned my face red...not only from embarassment.. you are doing good in other words. :lol: 

Pardon? Your lack of experience is showing. A 2.4 ghz processor is not going to satisfy any mid level gamers needs at any price, with any video card....well if you want to game at 800x600 maybe. And ESPECIALLY if it is a game that needs some beefy hardware. It just ain't happening I don't care if you optimize till you are blue in the face.
April 13, 2010 6:34:05 AM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
!