BSOD " Unmountabe Boot Volume . Maybe the Memory

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have been receiving a BSOD ' Unmountable boot volume ". I removed the drive and attached it to another pc and ran chkdsk. It found and fixed some errors. I also ran spinrite and didn't find any problems. I install the HD back into the pc and I still got the BSOD. I tried the vista startup repair and nothing worked. That is when I pulled the memory and install one new stick and the pc booted with no problem. Now I thought I had a bad chip. I placed one older chip at a time in and the pc would boot up fine with either chip, but when I installed both together I got the BSOD. I then install two new memory chips and still got the BSOD. I installed only one chip in either slot and the pc booted. I tried a new power supply and had the same thing happen with it. Could it be a board problem? I also ran a mem test on the older chips and they passed.

I thought I would add this, I just finished loading a windows 7 on a used hard drive for a test. It loaded perfect and it boots fine with the pc and it's memory. Maybe I was wrong, Maybe it is the had drive causing the problem all the time?