Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Trying to upgrade to win 2k but it doesn't recognise hard ..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 12, 2004 2:31:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I'm currently trying to upgrade my laptop, toshiba satellite pro 4290
from win 98 to win 2k. during installation i ge tht eusual messages
showing that there will be problems with some of the drivers for
various devices etc on the upgrade, that's no problem. My main
concern is that during the installation process i got a message saying
that the win 2k installation disc doesn't contain the correct drivers
to access or recognise the hard drive, i feel this would be a
problem!!!

The laptop is second hand from the head of it from my girlfriends dads
work and i have a feeling that he has upgraded the hard drive (it is
a 20gig drive) and unfortunately i have no idea what model of hard
drive it is. What i was wondering is, is there an easy way to find
out the model of the hard drive (in system infomation or such) or do i
have to take the laptop apart.

If i have to take the laptop apart to find out the model of drive, how
would i do this?

I figured that as soon as I find out the model of the drive then
tracking down a driver to enable it to work with 2k should be ok, is
this right or am i likely to have further problems with my upgrade

cheers for any help

dave
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 12, 2004 8:12:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"daverutt" <daveNOSPAMREMOVErutt@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3396001.0409120931.225f7985@posting.google.com...
| I'm currently trying to upgrade my laptop, toshiba satellite pro 4290
| from win 98 to win 2k. during installation i ge tht eusual messages
| showing that there will be problems with some of the drivers for
| various devices etc on the upgrade, that's no problem. My main
| concern is that during the installation process i got a message saying
| that the win 2k installation disc doesn't contain the correct drivers
| to access or recognise the hard drive, i feel this would be a
| problem!!!
|
| The laptop is second hand from the head of it from my girlfriends dads
| work and i have a feeling that he has upgraded the hard drive (it is
| a 20gig drive) and unfortunately i have no idea what model of hard
| drive it is. What i was wondering is, is there an easy way to find
| out the model of the hard drive (in system infomation or such) or do i
| have to take the laptop apart.
|
| If i have to take the laptop apart to find out the model of drive, how
| would i do this?
|
| I figured that as soon as I find out the model of the drive then
| tracking down a driver to enable it to work with 2k should be ok, is
| this right or am i likely to have further problems with my upgrade
|
| cheers for any help
|
| dave

Hard drives do not require drivers. Sometimes, the hard drive controller
may need a driver though. A machine that old should just use the standard
ide driver already built in to the installation package though. Use a DOS
based utility (FDISK, etc) to see if you can see the partition from there.
It is likely just a partition problem. Does it still have 98 in it? Is it
booting Ok to 98? Are you doing an "upgrade" type install, or a clean
install? Is disk compression installed and enabled on the current partition?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 12, 2004 9:00:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

daverutt wrote:

> I'm currently trying to upgrade my laptop, toshiba satellite pro 4290
> from win 98 to win 2k. during installation i ge tht eusual messages
> showing that there will be problems with some of the drivers for
> various devices etc on the upgrade, that's no problem. My main
> concern is that during the installation process i got a message saying
> that the win 2k installation disc doesn't contain the correct drivers
> to access or recognise the hard drive, i feel this would be a
> problem!!!
>
> The laptop is second hand from the head of it from my girlfriends dads
> work and i have a feeling that he has upgraded the hard drive (it is
> a 20gig drive) and unfortunately i have no idea what model of hard
> drive it is. What i was wondering is, is there an easy way to find
> out the model of the hard drive (in system infomation or such) or do i
> have to take the laptop apart.
>
> If i have to take the laptop apart to find out the model of drive, how
> would i do this?
>
> I figured that as soon as I find out the model of the drive then
> tracking down a driver to enable it to work with 2k should be ok, is
> this right or am i likely to have further problems with my upgrade
>
> cheers for any help
>
> dave
Dave,

I have a 4270 or 4280 (can't remember right now, but it's roughly the
same machine as the one you have) and I installed Windows 2000 on
several different hard drives (original plus others) with no problems.
I did it from scratch, so maybe it's Win98 that's causing the problems.
If you don't need the data and apps, you might try formatting it, and
installing from scratch.

FYI - I had problems with the sound drivers in Win2K - never could get
rid of an annoying popping sound.

If I remember correctly, you do have to take the laptop apart to get at
the hard drive.

Joe
Related resources
September 12, 2004 11:43:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

daverutt <daveNOSPAMREMOVErutt@lycos.co.uk> wrote:
: I'm currently trying to upgrade my laptop, toshiba satellite pro 4290
: from win 98 to win 2k. during installation i ge tht eusual messages
: showing that there will be problems with some of the drivers for
: various devices etc on the upgrade, that's no problem. My main
: concern is that during the installation process i got a message saying
: that the win 2k installation disc doesn't contain the correct drivers
: to access or recognise the hard drive, i feel this would be a
: problem!!!

Is Win98 still running? If so, go into Device Manager and use that to
try to figure out what hardware is installed. The hard drive
manufacturer or model number may be listed in the driver.

If you can get into the BIOS (not sure how - maybe pressing the ESC or
DEL key when you boot), you might see the model of hard drive in there as
well. Do you have the manual for the machine?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2004 3:08:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

daverutt wrote:

> I'm currently trying to upgrade my laptop, toshiba satellite pro 4290
> from win 98 to win 2k. during installation i ge tht eusual messages
> showing that there will be problems with some of the drivers for
> various devices etc on the upgrade, that's no problem. My main
> concern is that during the installation process i got a message saying
> that the win 2k installation disc doesn't contain the correct drivers
> to access or recognise the hard drive, i feel this would be a
> problem!!!

It might be that Your laptop is incompatible with ACPI. W2k uses ACPI by
standard, so You have to start installation in APM mode. When booting from
CD, there appears a message to press F6 to add a driver. When this message
appears press F5 (or was it F8? Can't remember atm). Later You'll see an
additional diaglog that asks if You want to install on an ACPI-PC or an
Standard-PC. Choose the latter.

Benjamin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2004 6:36:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote in message news:<claacfyaxc86942451209@bizaveMYSHOES.com>...
>
> Is Win98 still running? If so, go into Device Manager and use that to
> try to figure out what hardware is installed. The hard drive
> manufacturer or model number may be listed in the driver.
>
> If you can get into the BIOS (not sure how - maybe pressing the ESC or
> DEL key when you boot), you might see the model of hard drive in there as
> well. Do you have the manual for the machine?
>
> Andrew


all i can see in device manager is a hard disc controller with an
intel number and the properties says that the device is working
properly, no manual i'm afraid, but i'm in the process of downloading
one from the toshiba website
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2004 6:41:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message news:<y321d.134944$_h.31295@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
>
> Hard drives do not require drivers. Sometimes, the hard drive controller
> may need a driver though. A machine that old should just use the standard
> ide driver already built in to the installation package though. Use a DOS
> based utility (FDISK, etc) to see if you can see the partition from there.
> It is likely just a partition problem. Does it still have 98 in it? Is it
> booting Ok to 98? Are you doing an "upgrade" type install, or a clean
> install? Is disk compression installed and enabled on the current partition?

how would i use fdisk for the partitioning, bit of a noobie to be
honest. Yeah 98 is still on it and i tried the "upgrade install".
the drive is FAT32 and says i can't compress it when i attempt to.

dave
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2004 6:43:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Benjamin Gawert" <bgawert@gmx.de> wrote in message news:<2qjs6lF10l5lpU1@uni-berlin.de>...
>
> It might be that Your laptop is incompatible with ACPI. W2k uses ACPI by
> standard, so You have to start installation in APM mode. When booting from
> CD, there appears a message to press F6 to add a driver. When this message
> appears press F5 (or was it F8? Can't remember atm). Later You'll see an
> additional diaglog that asks if You want to install on an ACPI-PC or an
> Standard-PC. Choose the latter.
>
> Benjamin

I'll give that a try cheers

dave
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2004 6:48:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Joe D <jdworsky@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:<DG31d.11413$D86.4619@sam.nntpserver.com>...
> Dave,
>
> I have a 4270 or 4280 (can't remember right now, but it's roughly the
> same machine as the one you have) and I installed Windows 2000 on
> several different hard drives (original plus others) with no problems.
> I did it from scratch, so maybe it's Win98 that's causing the problems.
> If you don't need the data and apps, you might try formatting it, and
> installing from scratch.
>
> FYI - I had problems with the sound drivers in Win2K - never could get
> rid of an annoying popping sound.
>
> If I remember correctly, you do have to take the laptop apart to get at
> the hard drive.
>
> Joe

yeah i've already saved any important stuff onto a usb drive so
there's a good chance i'll format it and install from scratch if
nothing else works

cheers

dave
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2004 12:52:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"daverutt" <daveNOSPAMREMOVErutt@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3396001.0409130141.5d7ebd1d@posting.google.com...
| "Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
news:<y321d.134944$_h.31295@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
| >
| > Hard drives do not require drivers. Sometimes, the hard drive
controller
| > may need a driver though. A machine that old should just use the
standard
| > ide driver already built in to the installation package though. Use a
DOS
| > based utility (FDISK, etc) to see if you can see the partition from
there.
| > It is likely just a partition problem. Does it still have 98 in it? Is
it
| > booting Ok to 98? Are you doing an "upgrade" type install, or a clean
| > install? Is disk compression installed and enabled on the current
partition?
|
| how would i use fdisk for the partitioning, bit of a noobie to be
| honest. Yeah 98 is still on it and i tried the "upgrade install".
| the drive is FAT32 and says i can't compress it when i attempt to.
|

If there is no critical daqta on the machine you need to keep, you will be
much much better off doing a clean install. The "upgrade" method can cause
all kinds of problems going from 98 to an NT based OS like 2k.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2004 10:00:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message news:<5gr1d.15216$zT6.4377@bignews5.bellsouth.net>...
> "daverutt" <daveNOSPAMREMOVErutt@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:3396001.0409130141.5d7ebd1d@posting.google.com...
> | "Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
> news:<y321d.134944$_h.31295@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...

>
> If there is no critical daqta on the machine you need to keep, you will be
> much much better off doing a clean install. The "upgrade" method can cause
> all kinds of problems going from 98 to an NT based OS like 2k.

cool, i'll just give that a try

cheers

dave
!