Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dumb question Nvidia -> ATI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 17, 2010 5:59:00 AM

I have a really dumb question, but I need to ask it non the less. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'd like to get a 100% clarification:

I've recently bought a ATI 5850, I currently have a 9800GTX Installed: Here's the question:

Do I need to uninstall the drivers FIRST for the 9800GTX, then pop in the 5850, boot it in PnP, and install the ATI Drivers, or should I install Remove Nvidia Drivers, Install ATI, reboot, Put card in and restart?

My thought: uninstall, Boot in PnP and then install ATI drivers, but I'd like some clarification. I know its seems like a no brainier, but I've never used an ati, well thats not true, I had 4xAGP in an OLD Dell Clamshell... Anyway like I say I've been using Nvidia for the past years, and I've never had to swap drivers outside of nvidia's, so I wasn't sure of the correct procedure.

Appreciate the assistance.

/Long time reader, First time Poster.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2010 6:17:19 AM

Yes.
1. Uninstall drivers w/ regular uninstall
2. Download drive sweeper and use that to get rid off all the hidden drivers in your registry (do this in safe mode)
3. download and install ATI's newest drivers
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 17, 2010 9:06:07 AM

^+1
Just as BSD said above... :) 
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2010 6:33:40 PM

Good luck with your new ATI GPU. I'm ready to give mine away because of buggy drivers.
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 17, 2010 6:47:41 PM

^Give me your GPU ram :D 

Anyway, yeah it's best to uninstall your drivers, run driver sweeper, power off the machine, take out the 9800GTX, put in your 5850, boot it up, and install the Catalyst 10.3 drivers. If you are using win7 and have two PCI-E slots you can use your 9800GTX as a PhysX card, well with the hacks anyway :D .
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2010 2:02:04 PM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
m
l
!