Reboot and select proper boot device

G

Hi,

I recently bought a new HDD but i can't get it to work.

When i restart my PC with my Windows installation disk in, I get the message Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

My HDD and CDROM is detected in the BIOS, i tried changing SATA cables but nothing works.

Mobo : ASUS M5A88-M mATX
PSU : OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W ATX
CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 645
GPU : EVGA NVIDIA 460GTX 1GB
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Green 750GB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1866

Thanks

Solution
Maybe the CDROM unit is faulty, or the disk itself is faulty. Can you boot from that Install CD on another machine? Is it possible to connect your optical drive to another machine and boot from it there? Although your BIOS can detect the presence of the optical drive unit, it can't test for its proper function until you try to read from it.
G

I tried using AHCI but it's not working either.

I just love all those nights i have to work 12 hours on an error that shouldn't even be there in the first place.

I guess i have to be thankful tho, that's how i got all the knowledge i have today.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Maybe the CDROM unit is faulty, or the disk itself is faulty. Can you boot from that Install CD on another machine? Is it possible to connect your optical drive to another machine and boot from it there? Although your BIOS can detect the presence of the optical drive unit, it can't test for its proper function until you try to read from it.

Solution
G

My guess, I'll try burning another install if it doesn't work i will try installing Ubuntu if all of the above fail I'll buy a new CDROM.

;( I'm never gonna be able to fix this before Diablo 3 comes out

Anyway, do you have any knowledge on CDROM? What should i be looking at before buying one?

G

Nevermind, after putting in my Windows install i got an error message telling me it couldn't install Windows because

1. My HDD is faulty
or
2. My CDROM is faulty.

I have a spare HDD so if it doesn't work on it as well, I'll know what the problem is.