Sign in with
Your question

How Does This Computer Set Up Look?

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2010 1:04:09 AM

Hey guys! I recently decided to get a new computer since my old one is really starting to show it's age. I am not very computer savvy but have been looking around the internet (and mostly this site) trying and get some ideas on what I should get in my new system. I don't do a ton of computer gaming but do want a machine that can play games and will last me a good while without much upgrading. So far this is what the system has that I am thinking about purchasing:

Internal Expansion
[4-Port] Internal USB Expansion System
Processor
Intel Core i7 930 Processor (4x 2.8GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
PowerDrive Level 2 - Up to 20% Overclocking
Memory
6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module - Corsair Value or Major Brand
Video Card
ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB - CrossFire Mode (Dual Cards)
Motherboard
ASUS P6T SE
Power Supply
750 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-750TX Power Supply SLI Ready
Primary Hard Drive
500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Sound Card
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card
Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card

My main question is how does this system look as a whole? More specifically are things like the over clocking and internal expansions worth it? What about the motherboard and power supply? Are they good selections or should I go for something better? How does everything else look?

I am wanting to spend around 1500-1700 on this rig and as it stands it's a little over 1700. If ditching something like the over clocking and internal expansions in favor of a better mother board or power supply are worth it that is the kind of stuff I am really interested in.

Thanks in advance

More about : computer set

April 5, 2010 1:33:50 AM

Couple of things...
  • 1) I recommend building versus buying.
  • 2) I would go with a single 5850 versus running two 5770's right off the bat. It doesn't leave room for expansion.
  • 3) I would rather see you go with the P6T Deluxe V2 over the SE. It is the better board and does both Nvidia & ATI.
  • 4) RAM sounds like it might be more on the cheaper end and Cas9.
  • 5) PSU and CPU are great :) 
  • 6) The overclock to 20% sounds safe and with the proper cooling won't be any issues.
    m
    l
    April 5, 2010 1:47:59 AM

Personally I would drop the 5770's for a single 5850. Then add another later when the price drops. As that is what I am doing.
    As far as the motherboard goes you may want to consider a board with USB 3.0 and SATA III capability as well as one that has dual 16x pci-x support for your future crossfire configuration.

Here is one suggestion. GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

AS far as the rest go, check the benchmarks and price for your components. Don't forget the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus cpu cooler.

m
    l
    April 5, 2010 2:43:15 AM

I am not really looking to upgrade the system any time soon once purchased. I noticed both of you said to go with a single 5850 instead of 2x 5770 but that would be slightly less power till I got a second graphics card, right? And even if I ever did decide to upgrade I could just replace both the 5770s with 5850s? Of course it would be more expensive in the long run, but double 5770s would be more than enough to handle anything I throw at it for the next couple years?

As for the other suggestions how does this mother board look?
    [SLI] Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R w/ 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16

It's only about 60 bucks more than what I had. I would love to get a much better one like the GA-X58A-UD7 suggested but my computer is already pushing the budget I have for it. Another 200 bucks for that board would really kill me.

Of course I am always willing to remove some unnecessary things. Are the internal expansions and over clocking worth it? Keep in mind I am not a hard core computer gamer but I do want a machine that will last me awhile and can play SOME games.

Lastly I wish I could build my own computer, but honestly I hate doing it. I find it frustrating and don't really have the time to learn how to do everything. Not only that last time I did something as simple as trying to install a wireless internet card I managed to break a transistor off my graphics card which ended up being a 200 dollar mistake. I would rather just not go through that hassle.

EDIT: Btw, here is the base configuration I was using with everything modified so you guys can see what is available if you want.
    m
    l
    !