Solved

Need advice on future build

So I'm planning on building a new computer fairly soon, and I've gathered a list of components on Newegg I thought I'd like. I won't buy every component at once, more likely over a couple months, so I'm trying to get components that won't be obsolete by the time the build is complete. :)

I know it's a weird approach to building a new computer, but I'm paying for school at the same time. :??:

Anyways, here's the list.

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614

HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161301

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (Two of these?)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231282

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

LITE-ON combo drive (x2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106335

HT | OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271002

Think this build will be able to handle the most graphics intensive games out 4-5 months down the road?

I am a novice when it comes to building an "enthusiast" computer, so I am open to all criticisms and suggestions. Thanks!
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need advice future build
  1. I don't understand how those HDDs are faster than the WD black? According to the specs on newegg the WD Black has a bigger cache and 6Gb/s vs. 3Gb/s. They're all 7200 RPM.

    Everything else looks great though, especially that case + PSU combo you found, and the faster ram.
  2. I have just a little tip for you.

    I agree with niklas_13, buy core i7 930 instead of 920. And if you live in the US, you can save about 90 bucks on it - buy it at microcenter.
  3. Nice RAM choice - I'm getting the same one for my new build.

    Also, what kind of stuff will you be doing on this computer? Are you sure you need a sound card?
  4. If comparing 3GB/s drives, Spinpoint is really faster than Caviar Black. However, the SATA 3.0 technology is rather new and not-yet-tested. So you can't compare them. If you are not going to assemble you PC soon, you should probably wait with the HDD.
  5. I might just wait until you have all the money you need.
    Imagine if the amd 6-cores destroyed the i7-930 for less and you already had the motherboard, ram or processor that would force you to go with intel.
    If you are going to do it this way, I would wait on those components at least.
  6. duk3 said:
    I might just wait until you have all the money you need.
    Imagine if the amd 6-cores destroyed the i7-930 for less and you already had the motherboard, ram or processor that would force you to go with intel.
    If you are going to do it this way, I would wait on those components at least.


    It is really hard to predict. The AMD Bulldozer CPUs will come only in 2011. They say that it will be as fast as i7. However, I think that by that time, i7 CPUs will cost much less, and intel will be about to release even faster core i9 series.
  7. dude yeah forget the Cooler master Hyper 212 I would go with a Scythe Mugen 2 for the same price. Yeah also agree with everyone an I7 930 is the way to go.

    Also what is up with your ram. If you are going to get a socket 1366 mobo I'm pretty sure you need tripple channel memory running in either 3 gigs or 6 gigs. I'm confused why you have 4 gigs of memory.

    What are you using this PC for? You could probably get away with getting a I5/1156. Save some money and also get to use that 4 gig ram kit you posted.
  8. Agreeing with NOOBZ1lla, tell us - what will you be doing on this PC? It is really hard to give a good advise without knowing it.
  9. explodatron said:
    So I'm planning on building a new computer fairly soon, and I've gathered a list of components on Newegg I thought I'd like. I won't buy every component at once, more likely over a couple months, so I'm trying to get components that won't be obsolete by the time the build is complete. :)

    I know it's a weird approach to building a new computer, but I'm paying for school at the same time. :??:

    Anyways, here's the list.

    Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043

    ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614

    HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161301

    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

    Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

    G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (Two of these?)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231282

    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

    LITE-ON combo drive (x2)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106335

    HT | OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271002

    Think this build will be able to handle the most graphics intensive games out 4-5 months down the road?

    I am a novice when it comes to building an "enthusiast" computer, so I am open to all criticisms and suggestions. Thanks!


    If you guys read the last two lines it will tell you what the build is for.
  10. Niklas_13 said:
    If you guys read the last two lines it will tell you what the build is for.


    You can't argue, he could find a better way to say it :)

    Are you sure you need such a fast CPU just for gaming? If you want it to play all newest games even after a year, you should probably buy a cheaper CPU, but a faster GPU like radeon 5970, or wait for Nvidia Geforce 480 (considering the time of your build, it's a very good option for you)
  11. Actually I didn't say everything I intend to use this computer for. Yeah it'll mostly be gaming, but I also do a lot of video production and rendering.

    Serous-2010: Yeah I thought about that at first, but I sort of wanted a more well-rounded rig that would be suitable for things other than gaming. You guys are the experts though, so that's why I'm asking heh.

    Thanks for all the fast replies by the way, tomshardware rules :D
  12. Don't go with a cheaper CPU, the 1156 socket is ***. Also, get a 930 instead of a 920, cost difference is only $10 through newegg.
  13. Best answer
    1) As a rule, it is better to buy everything at once, as late as possible. Technology is constantly changing and prices generally decline over time. On the other hand, you can shop for a few things now. Cases, Power supplies, dvd drives, and perhaps monitors do not seem to get out of date.

    2) Plan on a 6gb(3 x 2gb) kit of ram for the X58 chipset.
    Cpu performance is not very sensitive to ram speeds.
    If you look at real application and game benchmarks(vs. synthetic tests),
    you will see negligible difference in performance between the slowest DDR2 and the fastest DDR3 ram.
    Perhaps 1-2%. Not worth it to me.
    Don't pay extra for faster ram or better timings unless you are a maximum overclocker.

    3) 3gb vs 6gb hard drive speeds are the cache buffer to interface transfer rates. It has no bearing on the platter to buffer rates, and very little data will be cached in a cache, even as large as 64mb. What does matter is the density of the platters which are moving under the read/write heads. Faster drives will have better transfer rates, particularly at the denser outer rings of the larger drives. Nothing compares to a SSD, particularly for the OS.

    SSD performance and price are changing rapidly, so wait as long as possible before buying one.

    4) If you are near a microcenter, you can get a i7-930 for $199, walk in only. I think this may be a good exception to the wait to buy rule.

    5) Defer the sound card. Onboard sound is very good, and you can always add one later.
  14. Best answer selected by explodatron.
  15. grab the antec cp850 for $110 its specially made for antec full tower cases
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Components Systems Product