Sign in with
Your question

Thermal compound for cpu cooling poison ?

Last response: in CPUs
June 14, 2010 6:39:01 PM

A friend and collegea of mine at work uses the silicon compound on his hands as if it was toothpaste. How and why is it poisonous to touch it ?
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2010 6:44:38 PM

It depends on the thermal compound composition. Anyway, reading the safety data sheet of the product is the best way to know it. Every company has the obligation of providing it.
Here you have the SDSs from Artic Silver: http://www.arcticsilver.com/msds.htm
June 14, 2010 6:58:08 PM

Not all manufacterer Data Sheets where availiable but a few worked.
Thanks !
The white silicone paste we use doesn't tell us much on the package.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2010 7:07:33 PM

bigal_57 said:
Not all manufacterer Data Sheets where availiable but a few worked.
Thanks !
The white silicone paste we use doesn't tell us much on the package.

Every company that puts up for sale chemicals is required to provide a safety data sheet for the product, in which it is reported, among other information, the risks to humans and the environment.
You can usually find the Safety Data Sheet of the product in the web of the manufacturer. As I have said, It's a requeriment.
If you tell me the thermal compound that you use, I could try to find its SDS.
Anyway, It's your company responsability to give you the SDS of each chemical product that you use. Just ask for it in your job.
June 14, 2010 7:19:25 PM

Yes I do understand and agree.
I don't know exactly the name of the compound but if i'm not mistaken it had something with a number 42 ?

Thanks, And I allready told my boss that I dídn't like the fact that my collegea used the compound as he couldn't care less. Also my boss doesn't have any hand washing capabilities in the distribution room and also our working room (where we repair notebooks like Xbox-es fail because of the BGA chips that fall out in function because of excessive heat). So we have no real soap and we therefore have to use the dishwashing soap two doors further in the coffee room.
!