Sign in with
Your question

Ready for judgement: cheap $600 gaming pc.

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2010 2:27:21 AM

Hey everybody. I'm building a computer soon. I'm hoping someone would be able to tell me if this set of parts looks like it'd be compatible!

• Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 4.2MS 32MB 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
  • -- $89.99
  • Biostar TA790GXB3 ATX AM3 AMD790GX DDR3 2PCI-E 2PCI RAID Video Sound CrossFireX Motherboard
  • -- bundled with CPU
  • AMD Athlon II X3 440 Triple Core Processor AM3 3.0GHZ 1.5MB L2 Cache 95W 45NM Retail Box
  • -- with motherboard, $183.21
  • Patriot DDR3 PC3-10666 4GB Dual Channel Kit
  • -- $94.77
  • Antec 200 Two Hundred Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case Black 3X5.25 6X3.5INT 1 SATA Hot-Swap Bay No PS
  • -- bundle with PSU
  • Antec Basiq BP500U 500W 24PIN ATX 12V Power Supply Active PFC
  • -- bundle with case, $111.35

I'll be buying a video card for it later.

The shopping cart total for this order is $567.78, tax and S&H included. I'm going for being VERY frugal, but not exactly CHEAP. Right on the line between insult and compliment.
    April 5, 2010 3:01:43 AM

A ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 and a Athlon II X4 620 that would perform a lot better if bought separately is just a little bit more expensive compared to what you have there but would perform a lot better.(It's just $8 more expensive)
    The other change I suggest is change the case and the PSU for something more powerful ocz 700w psu + cooler master 690 case in a combo. This ram would perform better and is just $5 more. The HD is fine. Overall with all those changes the build would be $13 more and would perform a LOT better.
    m
    l
    April 5, 2010 3:04:46 AM

And sorry forgot to mention that 1tb is a lot of space, so if you want to lower the price you can also get a samsung f3 500gb instead that is $35 cheaper
    m
    l
    Related resources
    April 5, 2010 3:06:14 AM

^ +1 dmcfc is right. I would recommend getting a bigger case because if you cramp stuff in your case, you might not have enough space for the GPU. I had a Antec 300 but had to upgrade to an Antec 900 and soon will be upgrading toan Antec 1200 or HAF 932 since I need to SLI my cards. But for you, a Antec 300 with a 450 or 500W PSU should be good since you probably wont drop a lot of money for ta huge card.
    m
    l
    April 5, 2010 3:20:53 AM

I disagree with the case sizes and the Propus processor.

The rana 435 performs much better then the propus at stock, however if you buy from newegg you can get a phenom II quad core at that price range.

The antec 200 has a lot of room, no need to buy a antec 1200 or haf 932 or even a coolermaster 690.

By the way, your missing a DVD :p 

So here's the parts I selected.

1. The Phenom II 925 is a great quad core with L3 cache and can be overclocked pretty nicely.

2. The BP550 is a lower quality PSU which won't leave you much upgradability. So the OCZ 700W is a better option, plus, it's modular too :p 

3. Biostar motherboards aren't the best, and that one doesn't have a 2nd PCI-x16 slot for crossfire so you won't be able to upgrade as easily. The 890GX mobo I selected has USB 3.0 + Sata 6GB's and will support the hexacore (6 core) and has 2 PCI-X16 slots running at 8x8 speed. excellent.

4. Do you really need a 1TB HD? I have a 500GB and I haven't gotten close to filling it up, 500gb is more then enough for most people unless you have tons of videos. And the spin point F3's are faster then the WD blacks.

5. antec 200 is limited in space and features, the antec 300 is a very good mid sized case and can fit the biggest video cards.

Why aren't you ordering from newegg? that's what we all suggest here on this site. They have excellent customer support and the cheapest prices.
    m
    l
    April 5, 2010 3:34:30 AM

I'm still reading through everything, haven't gotten to whitefang's post yet, I felt the need to reply to the point about the HDD... I know 1TB is a lot of space, I was just captivated by the price... Now that it's been pointed out to me, I do kind of feel like a doofus. Yeah, 500GB is definitely enough.
    I guess the main reason I was ordering from ncix.com is because my friend did, and he received his order in tact and safe. I'm still sort of leery of shopping online, so I was comforted by his case.
    And the main reason I was looking at these parts is because... I wasn't looking at newegg, hah.
    dmcfc, I like the look of that motherboard a lot, but as whitefang pointed out, it does only have 1 PCI-E16.
    And yeah, the PSU I was looking at was pretty weak...

OK, back to reading these pages for now.

EDIT

I had forgotten about this combo deal that I was looking at... http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?It...

To me, that combo deal they have looks very, very good... but I don't know what difference in performance I could expect to see between that combo, and the selection whitefang posted.
    m
    l
    April 5, 2010 3:51:00 AM

Actually I like whitefang's build alot but I tend to disagree. Before my current build I have about 3...somethng terabytes of space and I've pretty much used them all. So I'd recommend the 1Tb samsung spinpoint. <Click this Sh..>

Other then that whitefang's build looks very nice

Another thing to consider is that you can't do any real gaming on that mobo's video. So if you were planning to get a dedicated video card then for example a 5770 would run you atleast $160. So really I'd rather see you get a video plus a different mobo with better options and less the onboard video. But if you couldn't stretch the extra $160 then that mobo will work just fine.

Also if you were looking at a $600 build you probably were not thinking of buying two video cards and crossfiring them so stick to one pci-e 16x slot.

m
    l
    April 5, 2010 3:53:39 AM

He said he was buying the GPU later.

The 500GB/1TB is personal preference, there is no need at all to get a 1TB HD unless you have tons of money to throw around or you do stuff with a lot of video.

a 2nd PCI-x16 slot is always a good idea because once you buy one video card 3 years from then you can pop in another and be gaming for another 2 years. It's a very good upgrade path.
    m
    l
    April 5, 2010 3:56:14 AM

mustardsteve said:
    I'm still reading through everything, haven't gotten to whitefang's post yet, I felt the need to reply to the point about the HDD... I know 1TB is a lot of space, I was just captivated by the price... Now that it's been pointed out to me, I do kind of feel like a doofus. Yeah, 500GB is definitely enough.
    I guess the main reason I was ordering from ncix.com is because my friend did, and he received his order in tact and safe. I'm still sort of leery of shopping online, so I was comforted by his case.
    And the main reason I was looking at these parts is because... I wasn't looking at newegg, hah.
    dmcfc, I like the look of that motherboard a lot, but as whitefang pointed out, it does only have 1 PCI-E16.
    And yeah, the PSU I was looking at was pretty weak...

OK, back to reading these pages for now.

EDIT

I had forgotten about this combo deal that I was looking at... http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?It...

To me, that combo deal they have looks very, very good... but I don't know what difference in performance I could expect to see between that combo, and the selection whitefang posted.

Oh good lord that combo deal is terrible.

1. Micro atx motherboards are NOT good for gaming PC's.
    2. Thermaltake PSU's are POS. They are very very bad quality.
    3. The processor isn't bad but it doesn't come with a HSF.
    4. That ram is low quality, high timing. Not a good buy.

The only thing in that build even close to being good is the processor. Sorry.
    m
    l
    April 5, 2010 3:58:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestions... on the hard drive issue, I've been fine with 250GB for a long time now.
    As for the graphics card, I know I can't really do any gaming on the motherboard's video. Basically, all I have for a computer right now is my laptop, I don't have a desktop at all. So my thinking is to go in upgradeable. I was thinking/planning to buy a 5770 in a month, maybe 2, then in another couple of months get another.
    That's what I wanted to do before I started looking at the ncix site. The links that whitefang and dmcfc have pointed out though have brought my dream back to life.

Now, for the combo...
    Hahaha wow really? I guess I Should have read some reviews on the pieces. The motherboard in that combo was really what drew my attention...
    Thanks for keeping me from tech purchase mistakes, folks. Building your first system is stressful!
    Is the timing of RAM when it will say something like, 9-9-9-20? If not, what does that signify?
    m
    l
    April 5, 2010 4:04:29 AM

Yes that is ram timing. Good timing is 7-7-7-21 and Cas latency of 7. Lower voltage helps too (Lower then 1.6V)

I wouldn't buy a 5770 and then add another 5770 in a month. You should just wait until you have enough for a 5850/5870 (two 5770's = $340)

So I would either

1. Buy a 5770 in a month, then in a while buy another one (A year or two)

2. Hold off on the video card for a few months and just buy a 5850.

Buying two 5770's almost at the same time limits your upgradability. It's better to keep one single GPU as long as you can and then stick another one in or just buy a bigger GPU to start with like a 5850.

I have a 5850 and I love it, plays every game at max. =)
    m
    l
    April 5, 2010 4:23:09 AM

Ah that's good to know about the ram.
    And that's even better to know about the GPU! I think I'll just expand my budget to allow for such things. I'll probably get a 5850.

Anyway, I put in the items to newegg.ca (yep, Canada). Get a load of the prices: subtotal $702.43, grand total $830.28. So unfair!
    m
    l
    April 5, 2010 4:26:44 AM

Jeeze that sucks, I hate how there's tax and all too.
    m
    l
    April 17, 2010 6:22:43 PM

Alrighty, I built my computer! It deviates a decent amount from what I wanted, but all in all, I really do like it. I bought the parts from the PcCyber store mentioned earlier in this thread, because I couldn't wait any longer and I had the money. AND, their prices were actually not too bad at all.

I'll use Newegg links just because that's the cool thing to do.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000KSRTL 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

And... I think that's all I bought for it... Price came up to about $800... so I kind of blew my budget, but I was initially looking at U.S. prices when I made my estimate of the cost. For Canadian currency, I did pretty good I think.
    Just for kicks, I installed Crysis. It runs at 40fps at 1920x1080, advanced settings all set to high, AAx2. I'm very happy with these results.

I've never built myself a brand new computer before, I'd always had to make due with 5 year old parts that the owner of a computer store in my town would give me for doing chores. That was about 5 years ago actually, so my experience was mostly with Pentium II's and 20GB HDD was a dream.
    I've had a pretty decent laptop for a while now (HP Pavilion dv7-1014ca) and that's what I've been using. So this new desktop is such a step up from anything I've used before, I'm in love with it.

Thanks for the tips, posters in this thread. It helped get me value and know what to look for beyond "a motherboard".
    m
    l
    !