Anyone know why the 975BE is taking longer than expected to drop? I called AMD and they said it would be released anytime in Q2, well Q2 is almost over and there is no 975 in sight. Same goes for the x2 560 and B97...

Well it doesn't make sense to produce a CPU that will only offer a 600Mhz (or less) overclock. They might as well pull that CPU from the line-up because just like you said if its basically the same as the 955/965 then there is no point.

loneninja

Distinguished

Remember the X2 6400? Clocked at 3.2Ghz and struggled to reach 3.4Ghz with an overclock. :lol:

I see no reason for a 975 unless it is produced on a new stepping that clocks higher. If it's just another deneb core, it'll struggle to get past 4.0Ghz just like the 955/965.

Does everyone here think they are the only market for CPUs? Is everyone so conceited?

Not everyone overclocks. Not everyone does everything you do. For them, it is worth it. Also, think: Why would you get a 965 over a 955? The 965 sales certainly are high and the 965 is $20 more expensive.

I thought AMD had learned already with the 965, never thought they would make the same mistake twice..

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Have you guys all lost your mind? First of all most pc users out there don't overclock. Most users buy OEM machines. Also not even everybody that builds overclocks either.

What is the point of the 975 if ever comes out? It is rather simple. To make more money. All they will simply do is take the best binned chips that can pass as a 975. Basically take the best of the current c3 965's and bin them as a 975 and sell them for a couple more bucks.

It makes perfect sense to take the best chips you get out the batch and sell them for a bit more. Even if they do not raise the price one bit they can lower the prices of the 965/955 and maybe sell some more of those chips.

Bottom line is if they have enough chips that run the speed/volts/power usage required for a 975 release it. That is basically how the entire industry works.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Agree with someguy7. Also, bear in mind that since they have had plenty of time to revise their chips, the 975 may run at TDP 95W, similar to 8xx series. It's just a speculation but it'll most likely run at TDP 125W *fingers crossed*.

That is my point, if the 975's come out to be higher binned compared to its counterparts then they should clock higher as well. Am I wrong here?

I was told the 975's are going to be true quads and that the "B" series will be the crippled x6's that eventually will unlock to full x6's ... Meh, IDK I just want the dam chips to be released, its kinda hard to swallow the fact that if you want a chip to do more than 4.1Ghz stable you will need to opt for an 1090T.

loneninja

Distinguished

I'm going to have to say your wrong. The top binned chips are already Phenom II 965, just by changing the name of the top binned chip to 975 doesn't make it any better of a chip. Unless AMD changes something, 975 will still just be Deneb.

Correct, but thats not the point. What I am trying to explain here is the fact that if someone decides to go and buy a 975 taking into consideration that its basically the same as a 965 with a higher multi then what is the point in spending 200.00$+ dollars on a CPU that will only give you an extra 400 to 600Mhz at the most?

People would be better off buying a 1055T since there are a few that have been able to get over 4Ghz easy on AIR. So basically 2 more cores at a higher clock for the same price as the 975.