Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Worth the investment to upgrade my PC?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 12, 2010 3:13:48 PM

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if worth the investment to upgrade my pc because I want a better PC for my gaming and regular use

This what I got:

Windows 7 Professional 64

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066, - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066, - Total 8GB

Graphics: 2 Gigabyte Radeon 5870 (Crossfire)

Just getting the CPU Fan Noctua NH-D14

That's the main hardware I have where is my concern about

I want to go for:

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula

My upgrade thinking is to get better mobo and DDR3 memory technology, I know the Crosshair is much better, but is $220, and memory DDR3 is cheaper than DDR2, will be a big difference in performance for the money?

thinking about to get the Corsair H50 CPU Cooler

Keep my other stuff

Please if you guys know better than me about this, please help me :) 

also I want to make overclocking on this, if can give a little info about it would be great too

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2010 6:35:59 PM

You do seem perfectly fine as is. You're not going to notice much of a difference from that switch that can't be achieved with a small OC treatment.

Just go into the BIOS settings and turn up your FSB be a little bit ( by little I mean by no more then 5Mhz increments, then test for stability, then up again... ). This will step up both your processor and your RAM. Also you may want to tweak your CPU's multiplier. Remember, the CPU frequency is a combination of the FSB and Multiplier. FSB: 242mhz * CPU: x15 = 3.63Ghz CPU for example.
If you find you had a bad FSB/Multi combo and your PC is now unstable or not booting, reset the CMOS. You can do this by either taking out the little battery on the motherboard for about 5 minutes, or by using the 'Clear CMOS' jumper on your motherboard. Of course, before doing this, make sure the PC is off and unplugged and whatnot.

And that is a great cooler. If you want to OC, go for it.
a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2010 6:54:10 PM

You have an x6 and you want to upgrade already, lol

Just overclock the chip to around 3.8 and it will be plenty fast. At that speed it will be about as fast or a bit faster than a i5 760, faster in heavily threaded apps.
Score
Related resources
December 12, 2010 7:16:33 PM

This mobo is a dinosaur!
Score
December 12, 2010 7:16:37 PM

I'm agree with you guys just want to make sure, thanks so much for the info on the overclock. AWESOME :) 
I'm very happy with the info I get here. at this point I'm just going to overclock my CPU.
just one more little help here, I want to go for 3.8 or 4 ether way but secure and stable for my PC (remember I'm going to get the Noctua NH-D14)
just need to know how to do it because is my 1st time and I don't want to do something wrong.

Thanks again for all the help I've gotten here ;) 
Score
December 12, 2010 7:17:03 PM

Best answer selected by yohecleal.
Score
December 12, 2010 7:18:28 PM

The noctua is way better than the h50.
You can add a third fan to get lower temp.
Check some guide how to overclock the x6.
Score
December 12, 2010 7:22:00 PM

Just a nickname said:
This mobo is a dinosaur!

I know but still good, that's why I was thinking to upgrade the mobo, but I'm agree with ZergeSYS and sportsfanboy to much money for a little difference. but thanks
Score
December 12, 2010 7:35:44 PM

The difference would still be 2-9% more GPU horse power...
Also, your ram are probably going to hold you for higher speed (4.1, 4.2 and who know 4.4?)
If you have a gold chip, I wouldn't miss the chance to use its full potential if thats the case.
So what I'd do is check some guide to know how to overclock. If your voltage is pretty low, but you can't acheive higher speed without losing stability, then mobo and ram upgrade isnt a bad idea.

Edit: Do not do what the person above me said! You clearly need to check guide before begin to play with the BIOS. If you leave the voltage on auto you may fry you CPU.
Score
a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2010 10:03:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!