Ready to build my first PC!

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
I never thought I'd be saying this, but I am ready to build my first PC from scratch, and I am a bit nervous to say the least. The most I have ever done in a purchased computer is change a Gateway power supply with an instruction guide with pictures, and add memory.

Per a knowledgeable person's recommendations in a forum, I got the following main parts for the build: A Lian li PC-62B case, Asus P6T motherboard, Intel Core i7 920 2.66 ghz processor, a Corsair 750 watt power supply, an EVGA GTX 275 video card, 12 gig of DDR3 1600 ram - 6 dimms at 2 gig each, a Noctua NH-U12P cooler (which in itself looks like a big assembly project), an HP DVD drive, and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 tb HD. Where can I find detailed instructions in step by step form to help me??

For example, as soon as I got everything, I decided to familiarize myself with the parts and as I opened the case, I found a bag of different screws but no "risers" or "standoffs" as my friend called them. There were some U shaped clips with screw threads in them that appear that they might serve as standoffs, but I am not sure, and there doesn't seem to be any slits where these would go in order to mount the motherboard, just normal screw holes. There is no parts sheet or instructions with the case, and I probably can use the motherboard manual to see where to connect the various case wires and plugs, but I have no idea what the several plugs and wires in the case are for.

I decided to check out some YOUTUBE videos and there are several, but they only last a few minutes and show completed steps with little detail as to the assembly steps. For example, I learned about applying thermal paste to the processor, and in my cooler box I found a small tube which is appparantly applied to the heat sink as well. Now I wonder do I apply to both processor and heatsink, or just one or the other??

I would sure appreciate some good advice and instructions on how to do all of this so I don't mess things up. Thanks. Tom

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
risers come with the case. so should the screws to secure the mobo to the risers/stand offs.

Most of the wires in the case are for power, reset button, hd light, power light, maybe even a pc speaker... Other then that you might see one for front fan, and ...etc.. Don't worry too much about that.

About lubes, everyone has their own preference. I like to apply some to the heatsink and gently rub some of it off. So that it will fill in the micro-gaps of the heatsink. Then just put some on the cpu itself and spread it evenly with a sandwich baggie on one of my fingers (so that you don't put oils from your finger onto the cpu). I know others like to put a drop in the middle and use the pressure from the heatsink to spread it. Like I said everyone has a favorite method. I've been using my method for about 15 years without any problems.

Make sure to touch bare metal such as your PC case first to discharge any static. I know it's not something everyone does but it's better to do then not.

Don't worry too much, most of PC building is like putting a lego puzzle together.
If you don't overly force parts together then you shouldn't have a problem.

TomG628

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009

Thanks for the help and advice, guys. I'll let you know how I make out! Tom