zilaan

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
When booting into windows the computer turned of, turned it on again for 3 times and continuosly turned of after 5 seconds. I managed to enter the bios to check the cpu temp and could read 83º celsius then computer turns of again.
The cooler was loose. I mounted it propperly and when I turned the pc on again doesn't boot and didn't show any image but the fans and graphics card cooler where working.
Could this high temps damage the cpu, motherboard or other component? Unfortunately I dont have a pc speaker installed so I cant hear the beeps to know where's the problem.

p7p55-m
i5-750
2x2GB ddr3 1600Mhz Gskill Ripjaws cl9
ati hd 4870 512MB

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
if that 83 degs is correct and your cooler wasn't seated on the CPU....its likely toast....but if you could get into the bios....it means the cpu is working.....

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
^for now. I would agree though it is probably dead. I see them frequently like that after a customer has tried to reseat the HSF themselves or change a processor themselves. Usually the CPU is toast as stated above.

I find this surprising considering:
1. Thermal protection employed in all Intel CPUs past and including pentium 4
2. 72C is the Tcase max, not the TJmax. The TJmax is much higher. Likely around 100C. Realtemp and coretemp can read the TJmax if you want to find out. I know my old AMD 3200+ throttled around 115C before reaching the TJmax and shutting down. I cycled it that high several times.

If you did fit a speaker and you heard the beeps then the CPU is probably OK if you don’t hear any beeps then there is a good chance that the CPU is bad. A PC speaker is very cheap and it would probably be a good investment. One of the most common problems when mucking about the inside of a computer is to dislodge the graphics card, try taking the graphics card out and refitting it.

zilaan

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I took of the cpu from the motherboard and cant see any signs of burn. I dont know if it should be visible.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
(continued from above)

Well surprising or not it is what we have seen on several occasions. The HSF not seated properly for what ever reason over time will cause failure due to excessive heat. Many CPUs can go on with their lives after excessive thermals and some cannot. Even in the same make model and batch no two things.. even CPUs are identical. In the case of many we have seen, the CPUs were RMA'd, put back together and delivered back to their owners. Sorry you find that hard to believe bub.

zilaan

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. I took of the motherboard and everything and put it back again but this time with the stock cooler, cleared cmos with the jumper, took the board's battery out for a few minutes and the computer booted just fine asking to load setup defaults. probably it was from the cooler (Artic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev. 2), maybe the fan stopped working when I fitted correctly on the cpu/board, or just as it crashed inside the bios when I was seeing the high temps somehow the bios got screwed up? Now I have to test the cpu for stability and find out if it's really the cooler that's not working

zilaan

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Just to conclude, it seems the cooler fan somehow works but the pc wont boot with it, so I'm using the stock cooler untill I get a new one. I also have to install a pc speaker.

TRENDING THREADS