Your question

Should I increase my ram ????

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
December 12, 2010 3:21:03 PM

Here is my current system:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1532226

would it be worth it ?

I have been having issue with my PC for quite some time. It crashes, and upon restart it often "forgets" stuff and has missing stuff so I have to constantly use the restore feature... untill finally that stops working. Then I clean install again... and start all over.

To date I have never been able to solve it. But I recently upgraded to windows 7 and it asked me to perform a memory test on restart. After the test it rebooted and said I have a memory problem.

That is all. lol.

Now I have 4 sticks of crucial ballistix overclocking memory in my mobo.. and the memory is speed rated much higher than the stock mobo runs it.

My biggest question is should I simple purchase 4 totally new sticks ??? and upgrade from 4gig to 8 gig ???

Or should I just replace the bad stick ???

and MOST IMPORTANT- How do I know which stick is bad?????

Is there a test program I can use to test my memory ???

Help me solve and trouble shoot this problem.

I am fed up with this and have a new SSD drive coming (vertex2 120gig)

So I plan a clean install on that of windows 7 64bit, and fixing this memory problem now is what I need to do all at the same time so I can enjoy crash free computing.

Happy Holidays to everyone (especially those who help me fix this!!!)

More about : increase ram

a c 347 } Memory
December 12, 2010 3:50:16 PM

Interesting, the HD 3870 is a Direct X 10 GPU. If you did upgrade you'll need a 64-bit OS and more than likely replace all of your RAM e.g. 4X2GB your MOBO supports 2GB modules - "4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 1200*/1066/800/667 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory"

4GB is good for 64-bit OS and 8GB is good for Rendering Apps {e.g. Photoshop, Premier, CAD, etc} - so unless that's the case yes; otherwise no.
m
l
December 12, 2010 4:05:12 PM

What I thought...I have windows 7 64bit now....
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
December 12, 2010 6:25:36 PM

Why do you think you need more ram,what do you use your computer for?
m
l
December 13, 2010 12:54:05 PM

sportsfanboy said:
Why do you think you need more ram,what do you use your computer for?

playing... lol.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 13, 2010 1:28:38 PM

You don't need more than 4 gigs for games
m
l
December 13, 2010 2:35:37 PM

Most modern games don't use more than 2GB total along with the system processes. Unless you're planning on running 2 instances of CoD, streaming movies and browsing the web with twelve different instances of Firefox, you'll be fine.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 13, 2010 3:23:04 PM

Ehh, there's a few that will suck a 4GB rig dry and crash if you run out; yep Black Ops. CoD seems to have lots of posts; there has to be a memory leak...
m
l
a b } Memory
December 13, 2010 3:29:47 PM

^Like what games? That has never happened to me on 2gigs or 4.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 13, 2010 3:50:55 PM

Since my smallest and slowest rigs ALL are X58 with at least 6GB or 12GB 'I' don't have ANY issues. As I mentioned I've personally answered CoD Black Ops that kept on running out and the Black Ops App crashed.

Google { Black Ops +memory +crash -driver }
m
l
a b } Memory
December 13, 2010 4:07:50 PM

I didn't spend too long reading, a few minutes, it seems it's more of a driver issue with the new COD and certain video cards, and people with 2 gigs or less.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 13, 2010 4:54:41 PM

Most to the Driver issues are eliminated form my search; in Google a {negative sign "-"} eliminates pages with the word immediately following:

Google { Black Ops +memory +crash -driver }
Keyword = Black Ops
Required word = +memory
Required word = +crash
Omit Results = -driver

Does this mean ALL results are correct - of course no, there some that are indeed 'driver' issues, there are some conflicts -> BUT there are plenty with Memory issues. Most of the results are 4GB configurations.

Bottom-line, I 'really' don't care. There's less harm in having more memory than less.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 13, 2010 5:29:08 PM

I understand but memory isn't free
m
l
a b } Memory
December 13, 2010 5:38:19 PM

sportsfanboy said:
^Like what games? That has never happened to me on 2gigs or 4.

It's very possible. When Battlefield 2 was first released it contained a memory leak. After playing for a while it would come close to the 2 gig per process memory limit of XP and crash.

I believe Bioshock also had this problem when first released. Luckily these are problems that can normally be fixed with a patch.

That said, 4 gig is perfectly fine for win7 x64 as long as you're happy with it. It does seem to run a lot smoother with 8 gigs though and you can definately have a lot more apps running simultaneously with more ram.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 13, 2010 5:50:45 PM

Not arguing that more ram is better, hell I would have 12gb if I had a crap load extra cash to sink into my computer. Never said Jaquith is wrong, however in my experience, I have never been ram limited, and the most I have ever run is 4gb.

Crysis, COD modern warefare, left 4 dead 2, Dragon age, and a ton more have run with out issue on 4gb. Hell I ran Crysis on 2gb before I upgraded a year or so ago.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 13, 2010 5:52:28 PM

...and I never said it was FREE; it is cheap. You need to think ahead, and everyone is different.

Since X58 and Tri Channel, I've built only a few AM3 rigs and in every case I recommend 2X4GB vs 2X2GB {in this forum I 'get' the budgets so unless rendering 2X2GB}, and X58 I typically recommend 3X2GB ... many 3X4GB. This has more to do with upgrade paths. While a 4X2GB is okay a 2X4GB is better, and using 2X2GB + 2X4GB {Ditto with any Size disparity permutation} often can cause problems.

Further, IF Rendering is ever a thought or possibility then I strongly recommend putting the maximum slot capacity; all rigs I build are 4GB/DIMM. Yes, I know 'some' server and workstations support 8GB sticks.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 13, 2010 5:55:46 PM

Of coarse but the op said "playing", lol, not sure why I'm even spending this much energy on an answer like that.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 13, 2010 6:07:08 PM

The discussion is interesting... ;)  No one's wrong - just points of view.

I'm certain we all would agree "for most 64-bit users" that Dual Channel 2X2GB and Tri Channel 3X2GB minimums. Anything, more is 'nice' if needed. Rendering 64-bit use 4GB sticks.

32-bit 2GB recommended and 4GB maximum {~3.5GB usable}; I recommend 2X2GB if 64-bit will be a possibility - leaving +4GB option open.
m
l
December 13, 2010 6:26:54 PM

If Black Ops has a memory leak then it will chew through 1 billion GB given enough time. That's a flawed reason for buying a lot of RAM.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 13, 2010 7:11:24 PM

It's all about the rate of loss vs time. A restart undoes the 'damage.'
m
l
December 21, 2010 11:53:36 AM

I have been having issue with my PC for quite some time. It crashes, and upon restart it often "forgets" stuff and has missing stuff so I have to constantly use the restore feature... untill finally that stops working. Then I clean install again... and start all over.

To date I have never been able to solve it. But I recently upgraded to windows 7 and it asked me to perform a memory test on restart. After the test it rebooted and said I have a memory problem.

That is all. lol.

Now I have 4 sticks of crucial ballistix overclocking memory in my mobo.. and the memory is speed rated much higher than the stock mobo runs it.

My biggest question is should I simple purchase 4 totally new sticks ??? and upgrade from 4gig to 8 gig ???

Or should I just replace the bad stick ???

and MOST IMPORTANT- How do I know which stick is bad?????

Is there a test program I can use to test my memory ???

Help me solve and trouble shoot this problem.

I am fed up with this and have a new SSD drive coming (vertex2 120gig)

So I plan a clean install on that of windows 7 64bit, and fixing this memory problem now is what I need to do all at the same time so I can enjoy crash free computing.

Happy Holidays to everyone (especially those who help me fix this!!!)
m
l
a b } Memory
December 21, 2010 12:03:27 PM

The only way to find the bad stick is to run one at a time and run memtest on it for a half hour or so. You can download and run memstest as a boot disk, it's quicker and easier than having to boot to windows every time you change something.

I would wait on an OS install until you get your ram figured out, bad ram or unstable ram can corrupt data, so you might have to reinstall all over again in the near future.

I still think 4gb is plenty for gaming, if COD Black ops doesn't run well on 4gb, the problem is with that particular game not the computer with 4 gb.
m
l
December 21, 2010 12:06:51 PM

OK thanks...

where can I get memtest ???

Is that the best program to test memory ?
m
l
a b } Memory
December 21, 2010 12:17:30 PM

Here's a link to it, download this one-------> Memtest86+ V4.00 (22/09/2009)

http://www.memtest.org/

What you need to do is unpack the zip file, then burn the contents as an image. At that point restart and boot into bios and change your boot order to cd first. Save and exit and memtest will automatically start.

I think it's one of the best ways to test memory,certainly the best way to start when trying to find out if you have a bad stick. I usually run Prime95 on Blend for a couple hours if memtest comes out with no errors. Keep in mind, if you do get errors, it may be a matter of motherboard setting and not bad ram. Let us know how it goes, GL.
m
l
December 21, 2010 12:34:31 PM

I have 4 sticks... so how do I know which is the bad one ???
m
l
a b } Memory
December 21, 2010 12:37:37 PM

Like sportsfanboy said, run memtest on one stick of ram at a time. You physically remove all but one stick.
m
l
December 21, 2010 1:55:27 PM

ouch... pain in the butt
m
l
a b } Memory
December 21, 2010 1:57:07 PM

Mfusick said:
ouch... pain in the butt

Yes, but worth it if it locates the problem.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 21, 2010 2:15:51 PM

Just run 1 pass, 2 is preferred and the less RAM you have the quicker the pass. Often 'forget' is a failing CMOS battery.

Q - What EXACT RAM did you end-up getting or is this your old RAM? If the RAM is set incorrectly in the BIOS then yeah you can generate all sorts of oddball errors.

ASUS Maximus Formula ; BIOS ??? link http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=SUtOxkjNA4ODENtN
4X1GB Crucial 800 MHz ; Model ??? link http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Maxim...
E8500 http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33911
//FSB & CPU Ratios are set wrong -> Clear CMOS
//ATI HD 3870 are NOT Direct X version 11 GPUs -> down grade to Direct X 10
//BIOS Minimum 1207 but I would recommend 1403 which updates the Intel ROM.
//Verify current RAM is listed per link above.
m
l
December 21, 2010 5:28:17 PM

My ram is the Ballistix version of that link... the ones with the lights that light up and nicer case.

It was rated for faster than 800mhz when I bought it... but I think my mobo downclocks it

But yes.. the ram is crucial.

Let me see if I can sign into crucial website and retrieve exactly what I bought. it was a long time ago
m
l
December 21, 2010 5:31:09 PM

(BL2KIT12864AL1065)
2-1GB 240-PIN UNBUFF DIMM 128MX64 DDR2 PC2-8500 CL5 W/LED EPP

This is what is says.

I have 4gig... 1gig sticks... 4 slots all full ... all exact same memory bought the same day directly from crucial
m
l
December 21, 2010 5:39:41 PM

jaquith said:
Just run 1 pass, 2 is preferred and the less RAM you have the quicker the pass. Often 'forget' is a failing CMOS battery.

Q - What EXACT RAM did you end-up getting or is this your old RAM? If the RAM is set incorrectly in the BIOS then yeah you can generate all sorts of oddball errors.

ASUS Maximus Formula ; BIOS ??? link http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=SUtOxkjNA4ODENtN
4X1GB Crucial 800 MHz ; Model ??? link http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Maxim...
E8500 http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33911
//FSB & CPU Ratios are set wrong -> Clear CMOS
//ATI HD 3870 are NOT Direct X version 11 GPUs -> down grade to Direct X 10
//BIOS Minimum 1207 but I would recommend 1403 which updates the Intel ROM.
//Verify current RAM is listed per link above.

(BL2KIT12864AL1065)
2-1GB 240-PIN UNBUFF DIMM 128MX64 DDR2 PC2-8500 CL5 W/LED EPP
This is the ram^

Yes Maximus Formula II is my mobo... ASUS

The processor indeed looks right... There is a link above with my system specs.

How is the FSB and CPU ratios set wrong??? How do I fix this ?

The ATI driver I installed is fresh from AMD support download website last month... and specifically for my card. I am sure the video driver should be ok..

So you think if I change the FSB it would fix my issues???
m
l
December 21, 2010 5:54:10 PM

One more thing...

It seems exchange and RMA is pretty easy with CRUCIAL directly... as I already filled out the RMA order..

Should I pay extra to upgrade to 8gig's if they let me ?
m
l
December 30, 2010 11:05:01 PM

I decided to stay with the 4gigs as per all your reccomendations
m
l
!