Solved

SSD got many problem?

Hi everyone, i'm thinking to buy SSD crucial 128gb M4.
I went to Newegg and read some article about it saying that

"Apparently there is a defect with lots, and I do mean LOTS of various sized Crucial SSD's where they basically stop working after you hit 5200 hours of usage on them.

I started getting BSOD's after 7 months of flawless use. I ran Memtest, HD Tune, reseated all hardware, replaced cables all to no avail.

Some other customer also said the same thing (saying that after 8 months the SSD died).
My question is,

1) Is that normal for SSD getting a lot of BSOD after we used it for 8 months?
2) They say that i need to set some of my window7 system (like disabling system recovery, defrag , etc) to maintain SSD speed. So if i didn't do any of that, will i get a problem in the future?
3) What are SSD benefits for playing games?

Thanks everyone, hope you can help me deciding wether to get it or not.

My system Spec
Mobo: Gigabyte H77M D3h
CPU : i5 3550
PSU : Corsair TX750
GPU : Gigabyte Radeon 7970
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about problem
  1. sorry i accidently quoted my own msg when i tried to edit my msg*
  2. Best answer
    1. SSDs should not die after 8 months. Crucial does have a 3 year warranty on their drives, so if something like that does happen, you can get a warranty replacement, just be sure to keep a backup of anything important, maybe even a system image to ease the reinstallation process if things do go wrong.

2. It is recommended that you disable some Windows features to save space, which is at a premium on an SSD, things like System Restore, the Page file, and the hibernate.sys file can eat up a lot of space. Disabling them or moving them to another drive frees up more space on your SSD. You don't want to run defrag on SSDs as that will rapidly eat into your write cycles, and probably will shorten the life of the drive. Defrag offers no benefits to an SSD anyway. Also having an emptier SSD can offer you more speed over a full SSD, so you may not want to put non essential stuff on an SSD.

3. There aren't really any real benefits that an SSD brings to gaming, at least as far as gameplay goes. What SSDs can do for gaming is significantly reduce a game's startup time and loading times. If you are the sort that really doesn't like waiting through lengthy loading screens, it may be worthwhile to put some games with long load times on an SSD. However, aside from load times SSDs do not offer any benefits for gaming. SSDs improve overall system performance by significantly reducing boot times, and allowing programs that are installed on the SSD to load faster.
  3. If and when you do get a SSD, here are a couple sites that have lots of SSD Tips & Tricks:

The SSD Review - SSD Optimization Guide

OCZ Blog - SSD Tips & Tricks

You don't have to do all of them, or any of them, they are just tips.

And ^+1, #3. Yep, as he said! If you want better gaming performance, get a better video card. But you gotta great one!

I have had several SSDs over the past years, and even had them all in RAID 0 for size and performance, and never had any die! Only had problems with the SATA connectors. But I over-provisioned the drives, only using 80% of the total drive size (i.e. 120GB total size, only partioned/allocated/used 96GB).

The only reason I have had several, is I kept getting the "latest and greatest" ones. I have had/tried these:

SATA II drives, in RAID 0:
    Intel X25-V 40GB
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB
    AData 599 64GB

SATA III drives, in RAID 0:
    OCZ Agility 3 60GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 60GB
    Samsung 830 64GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 120GB

SATA III drives, not in RAID:
    Intel 520 120GB
    and now, Intel 520 180GB.

I know, TMI!
  4. Supernova1138 said:
    3. There aren't really any real benefits that an SSD brings to gaming, at least as far as gameplay goes. What SSDs can do for gaming is significantly reduce a game's startup time and loading times. If you are the sort that really doesn't like waiting through lengthy loading screens, it may be worthwhile to put some games with long load times on an SSD. However, aside from load times SSDs do not offer any benefits for gaming. SSDs improve overall system performance by significantly reducing boot times, and allowing programs that are installed on the SSD to load faster.

If you play RPG games, SSD's are really great for reducing the time spent loading (particularly games like the Witcher or Dragon Age, where every building is a long load screen, this can save hours out of a play-through)
  5. Thought the issue with BSODs after X time was fixed with a simple firmware update?

My crucial M4 came with the revised firmware(although there was a new update with more fixes/improvements)

The rest has been answered already.
  6. Best answer selected by ujian01.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Blue Screen Crucial Storage