Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Crazy problemsssss

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
October 24, 2011 4:48:27 AM

i noticed something wasn't right a couple months back and just yesterday things got real bad - blue screens...

at first i started getting system errors of different types. most common was that something msi stopped working or missing, or sometimes "There was an error copying this file." - and i had random crashes to blue screen eventually. it looked to me it could be a hard drive issue and i ran the windows bad sectors test and memory test - got nothing.

a time came when i couldn't use the computer for more than 5 minutes (all this happened progressively within 24 hours) so i decided to re-installing windows (win 7 64 bit) but i also had big problems doing it because i would get blue screens just after i click "Install" and select language/area (after it loaded the initial files after boot from dvd). the error was 0x00000007E (and also 0x0000003b).

at the end I reset my cmos and it finally went ahead and installed windows.

but - i am still getting the same crap. it was ok just after installation but after updating like half of the "important" ones i got the same crash again..

a couple times the blue screen showed: "Memory Management Problem".

what should i do?

More about : crazy problemsssss

October 24, 2011 4:55:05 AM

sounds like ram compatibility problems, or maybe its dying. try a different kind if you can
Score
October 24, 2011 5:08:34 AM

crap, i don't have any, i guess i'll have to order new one.. i currently have 3x2GB, so i guess i'll try them stick by stick...
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2011 5:15:25 AM

use windows memory test in win 7
Score
October 24, 2011 12:22:12 PM

windows memory diagnostic tool didn't find any problems.

i also tried to start memtest86 from a CD and it got me to the main screen but then it crashed. after that my computer started crashing on the very first window where you pick the version of memtest - and was restarting on its own.

tried to enter the BIOS - it crashed while i was in the bios... had to reset CMOS again, even removed the motherboard battery for 30 secs...

here's also my hardware configuration:

Intel i7 950 Noctua NH-D14
EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI 3
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T 6GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PNY GeForce GTX 470 1280MB
OCZGXS700 (GameXstream 700W)

(nothing is overclocked now and hasn't been for a month. before that was only oc-ed to 3.6Ghz, tested - stable)
Score
October 25, 2011 1:48:15 AM

i also wanted to mention another issue that happened, maybe this would help identifying the problem? i tried installing Daz Studio 4 several times and i always get some error at the very end that the program did not isntall correctly. when i try starting it anyway i get this:

"The program can't start because MSVCP100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling.." - I tried - same issue..

MSVCP100.dll appears to be a C++ library file and should've been installed with Daz. what hardware problem could cause the C++ library not to get installed?
Score
October 25, 2011 4:53:45 AM

i'm running Prime95 and i see some hardware errors mentioned there but not sure what they mean:

Score
October 25, 2011 8:37:35 AM

i noticed the errors i get from trying to run programs are pretty random (for the same program) i guess and not the same error every time.

i've never tried memtest86 befor but because i ran into some crazy problems lately i tried to run it and i think it just couldn't start. on the first screen i clicked 1) and instantly got at the bottom "Loading memtest.....ready." then nothing happens for like a minute and then this appeared:

i couldn't click anywhere, so after 2-3 minutes it went in to this screen on its own:

i waited for 5 minutes - nothing was moving, so i restarted.. is this normal?

i am right now running on only one RAM stick to test and getting the same erros, so I am starting to doubt that the problem is in my RAM..
Score
October 25, 2011 5:41:53 PM

ud be surprised how random the problems with ram compatibility can be
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2011 6:50:58 PM

It's probably your gpu drivers.
The 470 is notorious for problems.
Remove the Nvidia graphic drivers in add/remove
Download http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
Run it in safemode
analyze and clean Nvidia display
restart normal
go to amd site and download latest drivers
install as admin
Score
October 26, 2011 12:14:37 AM

memtest86 wouldn't start, so i used metest86+ and i got these results after a 15-hour test:

i will adjust the RAM voltages first and see what happens and post it here, before i do anything else.
Score
October 26, 2011 12:52:12 AM

memtest86+ is now running on 9-9-9-24-2T

i left the voltage on Auto since it was showing 1.5V

i bumped slightly the clock speed up to 558 MHz.

16 minutes passed with no error - good sign? :bounce: 

Score
October 26, 2011 2:36:39 AM

CRAP..... i was so happy 15 minutes ago...... i guess this fixed some issues but not the main one :( 

could the problem be coming from a bad windows installation, since i installed when the memory speeds were bad? maybe it installed with fatal errors that are showing up now?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 3:02:55 AM

^^^ makes sense!
But states hardware errors which could be attributed to a bad o/s install.
Score
October 26, 2011 3:18:48 AM

davcon said:
^^^ makes sense!
But states hardware errors which could be attributed to a bad o/s install.

alright, i might re-install windows again then..

and i got the driver removal thing you recommend and i'm also downloading the latest geforce drivers that came out just yesterday actually.. v. 285.62
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 5:48:06 AM

svetko said:
alright, i might re-install windows again then..

and i got the driver removal thing you recommend and i'm also downloading the latest geforce drivers that came out just yesterday actually.. v. 285.62

Before you re-install make sure your ram is absolutely stable.
When you ran those test did you test one ram stick at a time?
If not do so/it's the only way to isolate a faulty module
If the ram didn't prove stable/no errors at mobo default settings i have my concerns.
Since mobo default voltage is 1.5v same as the kit.
October 26, 2011 6:42:05 AM

davcon said:
Before you re-install make sure your ram is absolutely stable.
When you ran those test did you test one ram stick at a time?
If not do so/it's the only way to isolate a faulty module
If the ram didn't prove stable/no errors at mobo default settings i have my concerns.
Since mobo default voltage is 1.5v same as the kit.

- just made these changes:

lowered the BCLK back down to the default of 133
changed the DRAM frequency to DDR3-1600 (x12 multiplier)
This at rated timings of 9-9-9-24 and DRAM voltage set to 1.55V

- Prime 95 gave me the same errors and then blue screen when i tried to exit.

- shutdown, removed 2 of the sticks and left only ONE stick on DIMM2 (i believe - second out from the CPU) - it wouldn't enter windows.

- shutdown, went to BIOS and loaded defaults (on that one stick) - it let me login in windows.

attempted to start prime95 - blue screen before it even started (that's on stock - 1 module on dimm1 only)

- replaced the stick with another one in the same slot (DIMM2), same errors, at least running though...

- placed the same stick into DIMM slot 4 (on stock) and started Prime95 - running but with the same errors.

will try another stick now.
Score
October 26, 2011 7:25:03 AM

- replaced the second stick with stick #3 and placed it in DIMM 2 (still on stock - last time - will go try the suggested clocks in a sec) - running Prime95 with the same errors.

- changed the stock clocks to the suggested ones - changed the DRAM frequency to DDR3-1600 (x12 multiplier) 9-9-9-24 and DRAM voltage set to 1.55V

same errors:

- bumped the QPI PLL VCore to 1.125000 - same errors...

Score
October 26, 2011 7:46:19 AM

alright, almost got it!

tested stick#1 with memtest86+ and got many errors!

sneaky bastard! obviously that's a bad stick, but why would the other ones give me errors in Prime95?
Score
October 26, 2011 7:50:21 AM

Best answer selected by svetko.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2011 8:10:35 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!