Pc will not boot on first try.

So I recently did some upgrades on my pc. Current specs:

psu: Corsair 750HX
Mobo: Biostar TA780G M2+ micro ATX
CPU: Phenom II x4 945 3.0 ghz 95w c2 stepping
RAM: 4gb gskill dual channel kit @ 533mhz 5-5-5-15 2.05v
gpu: sapphire vapor-x 5770 (10.3 driver)
hdd: spinpoint f3 500gb

The cpu, ram, hdd, and OS are recent upgrades. Since I upgraded my computer does not boot up fully when I turn the power switch on. The lights and fans come on and I can even hear the noise that windows make at the login page through my speakers, but I get no video.
I then hit the reset button and it boots up fine, no other problems, until I shut it down and try to restart it again. I would think that the problem is the video card, but the video card worked fine until I put in the new cpu, ram, OS and hdd.

Any suggestions?

thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about boot
  1. If possible, try the video card on another system to make sure it's working properly, and if so, I would then try the DIMMS, one at a time to if the same problem occurs.

I had a DIMM one time on an older system that caused a real slow boot process until the DIMM warmed up a bit, then it worked fine, but it caused a black screen at first on a cold boot.

You could also get Memtest 86+ nad create a bootable CD/DVD and test memory with that.
  2. thanks for the replies guys. I have already done memtest 86+ with no errors. I dont have another system to try the gpu in. I think I will pull the video card and boot with integrated video and see if that helps.
  3. Pulling the GPU and running off the internal will help and I suspect the reason it will hep is less load on the PSU. I often see this (system unstable on cold boot, runs fine on warm boot) when the PSU is undersized or getting ready to die.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems