Single 120mm Double rad for gpu and cpu?

I am going to water cool my i5-3570K cpu and my Evga Gtx 680 FTW+ gpu. At the moment I have a double 120mm rad but since I plan on doing some over clocking (not anything record breaking) I was wondering if my temps would be any good in thins sort of set up.

Res/pump -> Rad -> cpu -> Gpu -> back to res/pump

Should I modify my loop or just go with another rad added in so I can have one before the cpu and one before the gpu?
6 answers Last reply
More about single 120mm double
  1. Hi,

You don't need to have a radiator inbetween two heat sources as the water temp will equalize and so the loop order doesn't matter aslong as the res is before and above the pump.

Even a thick 120.2 rad will struggle with your CPU and GPU if you plan on overclocking.

What case do you have, maybe you could squeeze in another rad?
  2. I have this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517006

At the moment I am cooling the cpu with a antech 620 all in one loop, it stays ~20-30C idle depending on room temps, and ~60+ with load at 4.4Ghz. I was planning on taking that out and using the double 120mm rad to cool both my gpu that is on air right now and the cpu.
  3. muttfacejohnson said:
    I have this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517006

At the moment I am cooling the cpu with a antech 620 all in one loop, it stays ~20-30C idle depending on room temps, and ~60+ with load at 4.4Ghz. I was planning on taking that out and using the double 120mm rad to cool both my gpu that is on air right now and the cpu.

I take it you're planning to mount the 120.2 rad in the front of the case?

I looked at a review for the case but they didn't mention whether the roof panel has holes to mount a 120/140mm fan, if it does you could mount a rad there as it looks like there's quite a bit of clearance between the roof panel and the top of the motherboard, you could also mount a 120.1 rad in the floor.
  4. I was planning on the back there are routing holes for tubing, and my res is a pum res combo that is mounted on a front 5.25" slot. I could mount one on the floor a 120mm and then the one on the back.

So do you think its best that I use another rad 120.1 rad along with the 120.2 rad I already have?

Then again I could leave the antech 620 water cooler on my cpu and use the 120.2 rad for cooling my gpu along, could that work?
  5. I was planning on the back there are routing holes for tubing, and my res is a pum res combo that is mounted on a front 5.25" slot. I could mount one on the floor a 120mm and then the one on the back.

So do you think its best that I use another rad 120.1 rad along with the 120.2 rad I already have?

Then again I could leave the antech 620 water cooler on my cpu and use the 120.2 rad for cooling my gpu along, could that work?
  6. I would personally measure how much space there is in the front, maybe you can mount the 120.2 in the front even with the res/pump combo at the top.

Yes I think it's best to add atleast a 120.1 to your 120.2 if you want to overclock at all.

I would personally sell the Antec 620 and go full custom water.
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling GPUs CPUs Intel i5 Overclocking Product