Sign in with
Your question

HP XW 8000 INTEL Xeon

Last response: in CPUs
June 15, 2010 1:09:09 AM

So I recently started looking at my computer specs and came across that my CPU runs at 2.80ghz but only as a single core when I have 2 CPUs, What I want to know is am I suppose to see 2 Cores or one core. PcWizard and Cpuz shows 1 core.

More about : 8000 intel xeon

a c 117 à CPUs
a b α HP
June 15, 2010 1:36:41 AM

If you have 2 processors and both are enabled, then you should see 2 cores. Were both processors installed when you bought it or was the second one added later?
m
l
June 15, 2010 1:43:04 AM

Both where there when I bought it, so what is my next step here? how do I enable them ? if possible?
m
l
Related resources
a c 117 à CPUs
a b α HP
June 15, 2010 2:19:19 AM

Are they detected at POST? HP normally have a fairly good BIOS and all that info should be displayed. It also is possible that one processor died, a fan is not spinning, etc. Did you visually verify that both CPU fans are spinning?
m
l
June 15, 2010 2:28:06 AM

No I have not, at least not yet, I will look at it when I take the system apart tomorrow and get back to you, I did check for hyperthreading in my BIOS and it is enabled. If that helps, also when I look in my Task manager I see 4 window open with the graph thing.
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b α HP
June 15, 2010 2:39:53 AM

Then both processors are properly detected. Each processor is a single core with HT. CPU-Z should allow you to select Processor #1 and Processor # 2 in the Selection list. If only one processor was detected, then Selection would be grayed out. For each processor, CPU-Z should report 1 core and 2 threads.
m
l
June 15, 2010 4:24:43 AM

yes you are correct, thank you very much ,that helped me out a lot ,I thought that my system was not running to its full potential but I do see, where it says "SELECTION" and then I have (2) processors there and it says "CORES" 1 and threads 2. I have another question the socket that my motherboard has is 604mPGA it says, do you know if I would be able to upgrade it and change the Cpu to a 3.4? or more?
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b α HP
June 15, 2010 12:50:01 PM

Your system is limited to 533 MHz FSB processors. If you want to upgrade, you should look for SL72Y Xeon 3.2 GHz processors (512 KB L2 cache, 1 MB L3 cache). I'm quite sure that it's compatible since I found a few XW8000 for sale with those processors and they match the HP specs. The risk is very low since you can buy a pair on eBay for $18 plus shipping.
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b α HP
June 15, 2010 1:53:34 PM

matek07x said:
Am I able to buy a new motherboard and cpu but still use my hp case, Like the one I was looking at would be Amd http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... And as far as a motherboard for it I have not yet looked any recommendation of a great motherboard for this cpu?

Is your HP case ATX compliant? What about the PSU and front panel wiring? You'll have to do some research to make sure that it can be used. Depending on what other components you have, you're probably looking at replacing everything except the video card if it still meets your requirements (it should be slow by current standards). If you want to build a new system, you should create a new thread and provide as much info as you can.
m
l
June 17, 2010 11:22:14 PM

ah okay, alright well thanks, as far as my usage of pc is pretty straight forward I go online, don't play any games and i run a lot of programs so I just thought to go and get it more thinking power with the 3.4, cpu, but I'm not sure, do you know if it will increase the speed a lot to the point where i will definitely notice it?
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b α HP
June 18, 2010 1:23:21 AM

It depends on what you do. Internet access won't be significantly faster with faster processors. What you can do is run Task Manager and verify how busy the processors are and what the peak memory utilization is. If the CPU utilization often is over 40%, then you'll probably benefit from faster processors. I have several systems and the bottleneck often is the hard disk, not the processor. If you want to build a new and much faster system, the cost of a good case doesn't add a significant amount of money.
m
l
June 18, 2010 2:22:06 PM

yea my HDD is older, not sata, its ide 7200rpm, If I get sata drive with the conversion cable so it will work with my IDE connection will it limit the speed of my hard drive or will it still run faster then my IDE ?
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b α HP
June 18, 2010 7:41:26 PM

Don't do that as it serves no purpose; if you really want a faster disk, then install a 10K SCSI disk. When a bunch of components are too slow, then it's time to buy or build a whole new system.
m
l
June 25, 2010 2:53:14 PM

okay got ya, you are very helpful appreciate all the help, and as far as over-clocking my system just to see what I am able to squeeze out of it worth a try you think?
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b α HP
June 25, 2010 3:16:54 PM

It's worth a try, but since you have an HP system, you probably can't overclock it.
m
l
February 16, 2011 6:36:33 PM

I have a slightly different problem, but thought I'd goose this thread because there's already some experience on the HP XW8000 here. My XW8000 has 2 x 3ghz xeons, and accurately shows 4 threads in the performance monitor (yay, hyperthreading). But the noise generated by this pc is extremely loud - I'm guessing ~ 60dB but I'll have to meter it to find out for certain. I discovered that the case fan is a 120mm one so I've ordered a replacement NOCTUA NF-P12-1300 which maxes out at 1300 RPM / 54.32CFM / 19,8 dB(A). However, as long as I'm modding this pc, do y'all have any recommendations for replacing the stock HP CPU fans? I intend to use this pc for audio recording and currently it has been so loud that I can hear the pc another room away, over the sound of my apartment's forced-air heating.
m
l
!