Sign in with
Your question

Bitfenix Prodigy Build Log

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 6:38:38 PM

ALL BUILD PHOTOS HOSTED HERE

Hey guys,

Some of you have started seeing me around again; took a (somewhat long) hiatus from watercooling since I graduated, worked non-stop over the summer, and moved for grad school, and in the meantime I downsized from ATX to ITX (needed the space and the money - small apartment and got into guns :D ). However, you can't keep the bug away.

I'm bored with my Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, and although I would be keen to modding it, there is absolutely NO room inside the thing for tubing. Just ordered the Prodigy from NCIX, and am working on a parts list for the rest of the build as we speak.

I'll keep this updated as best I can for the time being!
a c 125 K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 6:57:09 PM

Looking forward to this, love the prodigy ;) 

What other components will you be using?
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 6:59:58 PM

This could be fun to watch, keep us posted, and lots of pics please!
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 7:13:49 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Looking forward to this, love the prodigy ;) 

What other components will you be using?

My PC hardware is an i5-2320 and MSI 7870 Hawk. Dunno if I want to throw in the CPU since I want to keep it quiet, but I still have my old blocks (EK Supreme HF Full Copper + MCW82) so I can decide on it later.

As far as loop hardware, I'm looking at picking up a MCP350, EX240, and some Gentle Typhoons (working on finding some used parts as usual). Gonna have to paint some parts white, I think ;) 

I am undecided as to whether or not I want to go with barbs w/o clamps or compression fittings...
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2013 7:14:28 PM

Posting to see updates :) 
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2013 3:11:58 AM

Anybody know where there are rad charts for the XSPC AX240/360? I'm trying to determine if the extra $10 is worth it for the AX over the EX, and if there's a way I can keep the build quiet while adding my CPU to the loop.
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2013 2:39:35 PM

Yeah, looks like it's worth the $10 ;) 

It's surprisingly easy to get hooked on things that go bang, especially when you can build some of them yourself (e.g. the currently disputed AR-15). That's probably what got me hooked, and then like any good hobby it becomes a money sink :D 
a c 78 K Overclocking
February 22, 2013 4:26:04 PM

:lol:  but aren't they worth the attention? :p 
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2013 7:46:25 PM

Of course :D  I really wanted the Lian Li train case, but it's just too expensive. Would have done some extensive modding to make it look like Purdue's Boilermaker Special (my alma mater, if my username didn't give it away already).
a c 78 K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 12:20:19 AM

:)  Now I understand where your alias stems from. So have you made any mock ups to throw around with that AX ? :sarcastic: 
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 1:04:35 AM

Not really. The case will arrive sometime next week so I can have a look around and figure out if the extra ~15mm will fit properly.

I'm thinking about putting the pump on top of the 3.5" HDD bay and just need to make sure there's enough clearance to do so.
a c 78 K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 1:16:30 AM

Might want to go through the Bitfenix Prodigy owners thread on OCN :)  - lots of people with watercooled Prodigies however I have one grip with the layout. The need for 90's just kill the efficiency of a loop...but then again there are ways to overcoming those hurdles :) 

I've been subbed to that thread since the release of the Prodigy, but I decided on a different route for an ITX build with watercooling in mind :p  and a sort of excuse to go H220 for this one instead of a full on custom. Could also use my leftover 120 MCP rad/res.

Like flies going towards a zapper....BZZZZT
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 1:32:39 AM

Just posting to tag the thread, looking forward to the pictures and info!
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 3:12:04 AM

Lutfij said:
Might want to go through the Bitfenix Prodigy owners thread on OCN :)  - lots of people with watercooled Prodigies however I have one grip with the layout. The need for 90's just kill the efficiency of a loop...but then again there are ways to overcoming those hurdles :) 

I've been subbed to that thread since the release of the Prodigy, but I decided on a different route for an ITX build with watercooling in mind :p  and a sort of excuse to go H220 for this one instead of a full on custom. Could also use my leftover 120 MCP rad/res.

Like flies going towards a zapper....BZZZZT

Yeah, I've been looking at some previous builds, and it really only seems like there's one or two ways to go with the hardware I have (limited by my 2x 3.5" HDDs, so I need the drive cage).

That case in the other link is a Silverstone, is it not? That'd be an interesting route; the FT08-e is a nice mATX case that could probably hold some decent stuff if you used an ITX board.

I wish I had the time, money, and resources to do something like this: http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/276-sith-pr...
a c 78 K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 5:12:40 AM

Quote:
That case in the other link is a Silverstone, is it not? That'd be an interesting route; the FT08-e is a nice mATX case that could probably hold some decent stuff if you used an ITX board.
Actually its been designed from the ground up, read through it and the solidwroks renders are really thought out and interesting to say the least!!!

It does have its short comings though. You can have 2x 2.5" drives/ssd's if you have a plain bottom panel (which means watercooling your GPU)or just have the vented bottom panel - which allows for a regular air cooled GPU to fit but w/ a handicapped 1x2.5" drive.

I think you're talking about the TJ08-E right? If so there's also a club for that on OCN - man talk about clubs... :sarcastic: 

Still the same limitation with the hardware's though. Only real crippler is that the CS build allows for a large GPU with 1xssd. I was thinking of having it as a workstation/gaming grade machine but I need to probably go for portable storage :)  keep that case looking neat and sweet!
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 6:14:29 PM

Got the case today and it looks pretty sweet. I was trying to find a way to mount the 360 rad I have, but the case isn't quite long enough to allow for proper tube routing. It's either going to be very lopsided and unwieldy, or extremely ugly.

Going to be doing some measurements over the next few days (gotta get some work out of the way) to see what rad I should use.
a c 78 K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 6:18:57 PM

Waiting :) ...
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 3:40:56 AM

First somewhat-update:

Found an RX240 on reddit in decent shape for only $50, so I think I'm going with that over the AX240. It's marginally worse than the AX, but not by much, and is definitely worth the $30 difference (unless someone happens to be getting rid of an AX240 for that price).
a c 175 K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 3:53:40 AM

Flagging the thread because this is interesting (and been bugging a friend to water-cool an ITX build he plans on later in the year :D ).

Will an RX rad fit comfortably inside a Prodigy, including the dual fans that would be required for its full potential?
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 3:59:43 AM

This is where the decisions get tough.

I could do a GPU-only loop with the 240 and get great temps, but I have to work around the stock Intel cooler I'm using (unless I buy a low profile CPU cooler, but I'd like to not have to).

My other option is to throw the CPU into the loop, decrease loop performance, but pretty much guarantee an easy fit for everything.

I think the biggest problem will be the fittings, not necessarily the fans and rad, which should be easy to mitigate by putting the connections at the front of the case over the HDD cage rather than over the motherboard. The RX240 + fans does fit in a lot of builds I've seen, so it should be workable.

EDIT: As a sidenote, total TDP is ~270W. CPU is 95W max, and the 7870 is somewhere around 175W (MSI does not list TDP for the 7870 Hawk).
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 4:11:54 AM

If my approximations are right, I should be able to hold just under a 10C delta with AP-15s (1850 RPM). This is based on the RX360 performance from the review Lutfij posted a few days ago.

Otherwise I do have my Ultra Kaze 3000s...

a b K Overclocking
February 28, 2013 9:44:38 PM

RX 240 is on the way, have some leads on used fans and a good deal on a pump/res combo. Once the RX gets here I can actually get some real measurements in and figure out my clearances (going to be REALLY tight).

In the meantime, any ideas on fittings? I think I'm going to be using a decent number of 90s in this...
a b K Overclocking
February 28, 2013 10:06:57 PM

Yea I like the bits power 3-way swivel 90's with the double female ends. They seem to be the most universal fittings, meaning that I can use them anywhere in the loop by simply adding the needed end fittings or extensions to them and wala, I am done, but that is the most expensive way as well to do that type of fitting, so it is no wonder, why it works as well as it does.
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 1, 2013 4:16:39 AM

If you haven't checked them out already, you might want to look into the monsoon compression fittings range. I like the look of the carbon fiber range of fittings just released by Monsoon.

There'e also the EK compressions which I'll be using in my Vintage Case Mod.
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 1, 2013 5:16:00 AM

Flagging to kep an eye on your wirework :p 
Moto
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 1, 2013 6:57:09 AM

:lol: 
a c 125 K Overclocking
March 1, 2013 9:10:25 AM

Eagerly awaiting pic's :D 
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2013 10:36:19 PM

Alright, I have something to finally show :) 

First is the case, pretty much how it is going to be set up for installation. I haven't removed some of the small bits because I don't want to lose anything ;) 

Rad thickness will be ~80-90mm once the fans are installed. Will probably be an issue as far as pump and reservoir choice goes. One step at a time...

Radiator in position (no screws yet). Since the front fan might actually fit there, I'm debating sticking a 200x25mm fan in the front. Something like the Bitfenix Spectre Pro: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15550/fan-975/BitFeni...

Once I get this month's bills settled I can figure out what to get next. Still searching for any DDC pump/res deals since that seems to be the next most expensive part.
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 2, 2013 3:29:48 AM

Check out Xspc's D5 reservoir combo's, or get a lil creative with mounting if you don't want to lose two bays, smaller case like that may need minimal/no res yet
Moto
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 2, 2013 7:22:58 AM

Internal reservoirs are the way to go for this build - you could go for a steampunk'ish build with an externally mounted tube reservoir but that'd mean managing the tubing+wires(if res is attached to pump).

I agree, getting the pump would be in order as that is the most expensive item on your shopping list.

Have you checked out the Aquacomputer Aqualis w/ pump attachement ?

and if you're choosing to stick to DDC or MCP35x...?
Swiftech MCP35X Optional Tank Reservoir Attachment - Rev. 2b (MCP35X-RES)
XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Pump Attachment w/ MCP-350/355
EK DDC X-RES Top 140 - Acetal - w/ Pump Installed - there's a 100ml version too.
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2013 11:55:42 AM

Someone on HardForum has the EK DCP 4.0 + Reservoir for sale, but the issue is that the reservoir attachment is 125mm tall (from pump base to the top of the res). The problem is that I only have ~200mm to work with, and the rad + fans take up almost exactly half of that already.

If anyone knows how long the DCP 4.0 reservoir is, that would help. I'd hope there's like a ~30mm res attachment that would work with it, because the price he's asking isn't bad.

a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2013 12:38:58 PM

So I am guessing that it all will have to fit in the case for this build to work for you, right?

if so, why such a small case is it the challenge?

sorry for all of the questions hope you do not mind.
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2013 6:14:28 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
So I am guessing that it all will have to fit in the case for this build to work for you, right?

if so, why such a small case is it the challenge?

sorry for all of the questions hope you do not mind.

It's mostly that I have an existing ITX PC and wanted to WC it again, and part of pursuing that is the challenge of the smaller case. Sadly, the Twin Frozr coolers aren't *that* quiet.

Quote:
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/pumps-and [...] -pump.html
&
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoir [...] p-4-0.html

dug this up too
http://www.overclock.net/t/1359508 [...] leds/0_100

I couldn't find the actual length of the reservoir though :/  Anyway I found a used MCP350 + top for only $45, so I'll find a reservoir to mount next to it.
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 4, 2013 6:18:48 PM

huh? its mentioned on the specs/features tab :) 
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2013 6:25:28 PM

It has the total height of the reservoir mount + reservoir, which I knew was too tall. The reservoir tubes are interchangeable, so I was trying to determine how that just the tube segment was to see if I could find one that was shorter to fit it in properly. However, that isn't really a concern any more ;) 
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 4, 2013 6:32:03 PM

:lol:  lets boil on!
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2013 12:07:26 AM

I have seen some pretty raded up small cases that preform quite well considering. I would like to suggest adding another rad to this project if possible I have run on systems for years with only 2 X 240's and a 80mm (this thing was a joke of a rad) rad it cooled alright, but with only one 240 rad for a CPU and video card, even with good fans (loud) on it, you may still see some temps on that video card that hit pretty high after a few hours of game play, but that is only my opinion. I thought I might say something about it now, but I am guessing that you have already been there?
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2013 3:03:21 AM

Ok, got my pump today, and I think I'm going to go with this reservoir: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14284/ex-res-321/Bits...

I'll either mount it on the inside front of the case or in-line with the pump.

I'm also thinking about going with barbs without clamps, since I don't have a ton of clearance in this PC. It'll give me a little more flexibility when it comes to maneuvering inside. I've never done this before, so anyone who has please chime in. I'm thinking of using 3/8" x 1/2" tubing, so what size fittings do I need? 7/16 or 1/2?
a c 175 K Overclocking
March 6, 2013 3:09:21 AM

7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs is what I use and it does give a very tight seal. Though personally would still use a clamp of some kind.

I'm very sure Lutfij uses "perfect seal" fittings that don't require clamps at all (and aren't compression's) but I dont know about them personally. Maybe trawl through his various build logs until you can find something on it, or wait for him to comment.
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 6, 2013 5:22:59 AM

7/16" on 1/2" fittings is snug as a bug mate, clamp if you wish but the only way I can get it off is cutting :) 
Moto
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2013 2:17:51 PM

I had to cut the tubing off my compression fittings once, so it's no big deal. I am curious about the Perfect Seal fittings though; hopefully they make them in 45 degree fittings too.
a c 325 K Overclocking
March 7, 2013 12:41:05 AM

A lot of times even 1/2" tubing gets tight on 1/2" barbs...the continual warming/cooling of the loop over time seems to really snug those suckers down.
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 7, 2013 6:02:04 AM

:)  someone Holla'd ?

Manofchalk is right - I use PerfectSeals by DangerDen

courtesy of AMS build log, sorry for hogging your build with mine :p 

and if you're interested..?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5715/ex-tub-143/Dange...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17081/ex-tub-1426/Pho...

^ I'm loving the color on the Phobya's - but I'll need a better excuse for my rig however I'll hopefully have a rig to build for my bro. Might use it on that mwahahahaha (another victim)

* I got My DD PS from koolertek.com
** Mine are 1/2" OD for 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD tubing. I thought I needed a tubing clamp for each barb but getting them on was far worse than getting them off plus the tubing was snug as is. If you'd want a hassle free work around with the tubes+barbs - dipping in warm water and quickly slipping the tubing on barb helps get the tubing work done faster.
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2013 2:44:15 PM

I was waiting for you ;)  I just needed to know what size tubing to use with the Perfect Seals.

So you use the 1/2" perfect seals with 1/2" ID tubing?
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 7, 2013 2:57:44 PM

Yeap :)  there's the smaller dia I linked but the end result is the same. Oh yeah I forgot to mention, (remembered from Rubix's comment) I have a good amount of tubing from Primochill LRT(white) and Tygon(clear) (saint-gobain) of 1/2" ID. While leak testing the Primochill white was snug while Tygon tubing was a lil loose around the barb but I didn't notice any leaks near the tubing connections.

Seems you're well on your way mate...

* if you're going for a z-tank, you can have it off a fan or rad via some special mounts.
** Removing tubing is the other fun part - just tug at an angle and they slowly peel off :p 

If you need an angled fitting, just pick up the PS's and an angled adapter. Phobya make adapters and the PS's so you already have a themed/manufacturer build.
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2013 3:09:51 PM

Also, anybody happen to know what the mounting hole distance is on the MSI Hawk 7870? Trying to find the new bracket for my MCW82.
a b K Overclocking
April 5, 2013 1:24:06 PM

Wow, it's been almost a month to the day since I last posted. My research picked up, along with Spring Break and a week of tests.

Finally got some funds today, so I'm going to be ordering the rest of the parts ASAP. Below is the proposed flow diagram; it's going to get a little...creative...

That's how the case looks with the rad and fans the way they will be mounted (perspective: GPU is on far side, mobo side is up front). There's plenty of room (or should be, if the online specs are right) for the Bitspower Mini Tank reservoir + MCP 350 to sit on top of my drive cage (filling this is going to be a royal pain...might throw in a T-fitting).

The tough part is the GPU. The top of the PCB will sit at about the midpoint of the fans, so the plan is to have the rad port closest to the GPU (the red line) will connect to the CPU, and the port farther away from the GPU will go up behind the rad and around the GPU (just need some 90s and we're good to go).

Other than that, just need to drill a few holes and everything should be good to go.
a b K Overclocking
April 5, 2013 2:55:41 PM

Anybody know if 90 degree Perfect Seal fittings exist (specifically 3/8" ID)?
!