Motherboard burn mark?

sonofademon

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Hi there, long time reader of the forums, but first time posting today.

Just cracked open my mom's PC today for a sound card issue, and found a rather significant burn mark, from what looks like to be a fried chip, or something. I would assume she's had it on there for a long time. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Some pictures below:

img0241yk.jpg

img0242ss.jpg

img0244ww.jpg

Solution
its always a concern to see burn marks on boards.

My guess would be that the chip since it looks to be next the the usb header would be the self resetting fuse to stop usb devices from drawing too power. Does front usb even work anymore?

sonofademon

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

System's been running fine, I opened it today because it was emitting a crackling static noise through the speakers. Last time it was opened was when she got the computer maybe 18 months ago, so it could be relatively new or very old. I was afraid to power it back up after that, just because I was afraid it was a potential fire hazard... She uses this PC on her television for Hulu and such, so it stays on a lot.

sonofademon

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

Yeah that's it. She said her front USB's haven't worked for a while, and I just confirmed that. So I'd assume it's still safe to use, right?

power down and disconnect the power supply. hit the power button to drain any left over power.

Clean the area with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip(gently) make sure there is no other damage to the board.

I had a board with blown caps in the usb system and it(the board, not the usb ports) worked fine for years.

EDIT

chances are good it will run for years like that. I guess the case is a tower style(is it?) and that is why the burn marks extends up. if it was a desktop style case, the chip would have just melted/burned it self without burning the board.