Need new cooler for a 4870, temps get above 100c! suggestions?

wkdadam

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hey so I've had my VisionTek Radeon 4870 for over a year now and I like it a lot, but the temps have become a real problem.
With fan speed at 100% and no overclocking, the card idles around 60-70c and gets into the 80c's under load. When I turned the fan speed down to 40%, it even got as high as 101c before I immediately shut it all down. That's the last straw!

I'm currently using the stock cooler and it's clearly not cutting it. I've looked at a few others and I was wondering what you guys think would be the best cooler for my situation.

Here's my card: http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/V261-4870-main-la.jpg

Here's the two coolers I've looked at so far.
Arctic Cooler Accelero Twin Turbo - http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=101

Zalman VF1000 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118037

He's going to have to void the warranty to put the new cooler on, so what does it matter? He's obviously prepared to void the warranty, not like the OP has much choice given his 4870's temps.

No it will not. actually you can usually install an aftermarket cooler without voiding it as long as you keep the stock cooler and put it back on before any warranty claims are made.

I would try this before putting money into a cooler for an older card. There is no sense in an aftermarket cooler unless you are overclocking. It is a waste of money. a $50 cooler on a card that you can get for under a $100 in ebay doesn't make sense.

I've actually fixed heat issues with older cards this way in the past. The stock paste is somethings not applied all that great or becomes dry or has to much applied. Over time you start to have heat issues. Just get some good thermal paste, rubbing alcohol, cotton swabs, and a ridged flat piece of plastic. Let your PC idle a little and then shutdown and remove the card. removing the cooler when it is warm makes it much easier. Once removed clean the gpu and cpu contact point on the cooler with the alcohol and swaps. Make sure you clean it until the swaps are no longer showing up gray. Make sure you keep the thermal pads that are used on the memory as you will reuse them. Take an air compressor and blow out the cooler and make sure all dust is out. Put a little dot of paste on the gpu and spread it around with the piece of plastic. Make sure it is a VERY thin coat and only on the gpu. Reinstall the cooler and let it run for a while. Check your temp.

Some will tell you to use Arctic Silver 5, I like Arctic Silver Ceramique because its thicker and doesn't need reapplied once a year like the silver 5. But to each their own on what is the "best". It is kind of thick and I usually put a little plastic bag on my hand and spread around the paste on the chip first and then smooth it out with the plastic.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100009&cm_re=arctic_silver-_-35-100-009-_-Product

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Haha- I've never disconnected the cooler on any of my GPUs either, so I'd be REALLY careful doing it. I'd probably have done it if I'd ever had heat issues with a GPU though. Guess I've been lucky in that respect. I would imagine its not gonna be THAT much different than dealing with a CPU, just gotta be careful and take your time- AND be careful of Static:p

Once you've done one, you've done them all. Just lay everything out and don't loose any screws. Sometimes you have to wiggle and pull it off, just make sure the screws are all removed, nothing else is holding it down. Taking it out right after you power down is a huge help as the paste is nice and warm. I have a good feeling this is your issue, if when you first got the card it operated at much lowe temps. The only other thing would be if you have a big chunk of dust stuck in your cooler. You could always try blowing it out with an air compressor first. NOT a can of air, that stuff is generally worthless.