Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking Sapphire HD 7950

Last response: in Overclocking
February 22, 2013 12:19:56 AM

I have a Sapphire HD 7950 in my rig, and I wish to overclock it. I've tried before using MSI afterburner, but I've had problems when testing for stability. I've tried both MSI Kombuster and Furmark, but even when I put the core clock to 1250 MHz, I wasn't seeing any problems when running either. My temperatures stayed in the 60's C, which it did at stock anyways.

Basically, I have two questions:

1) How do I effectively test the card's stability?

2) Would it be worth it to change the voltage? (I have a 650W Corsair PSU and i5 3570k @ 4.5 GHz, power shouldn't be an issue)
February 22, 2013 5:13:05 PM

morgoth780 said:
I have a Sapphire HD 7950 in my rig, and I wish to overclock it. I've tried before using MSI afterburner, but I've had problems when testing for stability. I've tried both MSI Kombuster and Furmark, but even when I put the core clock to 1250 MHz, I wasn't seeing any problems when running either. My temperatures stayed in the 60's C, which it did at stock anyways.

Basically, I have two questions:

1) How do I effectively test the card's stability?

2) Would it be worth it to change the voltage? (I have a 650W Corsair PSU and i5 3570k @ 4.5 GHz, power shouldn't be an issue)

1) Run Kombuster (Kmark X-score), if you can reach the end. Your OC is stable :) 

2) It can help, Radeon cards normally go well with it so, give it a try :) 

Hope I helped..
m
l

Best solution

February 24, 2013 1:08:13 AM

Msi kombuster and furmark and all the other burn ins aren't really great for stability testing.

I've personally found them to be useless all they do is show you max temp your card will get to and maybe when it resets due to heat issues, but overclocking a gpu to that temp is unlikely.

I test stability by just playing games like what the graphics card is generally made for in the first place. You might find some games are unstable and some aren't.

Voltage changes are generally used incase the card is unstable and is starved of volts. So test its stability with few hours of gaming at respectable graphics settings as you would usually use whilst gaming.

Overclocking is no half assed thing lol, gotta take your time and do it when you think you can.

Hope this helped.
Related resources
March 5, 2013 11:06:04 PM

Best answer selected by morgoth780.
m
l
June 19, 2013 5:46:45 AM

While running furmark if your GPU usage% is not throttling it shows stability of the overclocking , if screen freeze it is highly unstable, if GPU usage throttle your voltage and TDP is not matching your clock rate as simple as that........
m
l
!