Hoping to Max out the ASUS P6X58D with 24Gbs

Joseph30

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
I am building a new computer on the ASUS P6X58D Premium Motherboard which I am hoping to Max out the memory to its full 24Gbs.

The rest of my my computer Specs are :
CPU: i7-980X
Power supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
Primary Drive: Crucial C300 128GB
Secondary Drive : WD Velociraptor 600GB 10,00 RPM
GPU: GTX 580

The memory I have chosen is the :
Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition 24GB (6 x 4GB) PV7324G1600ELHK
Unfortunatley this model memory is not on the QVL.

I may eventually install another GTX 580 someday but not right now.

Questions:
Would I have any potential issues having this amount and Brand of 1600MHZ RAM detected on the P6X58D?

Is 850W Power supply enough?

Would I possibly need a different heatsink CPU cooler than the one that came with the I7-980X ? or even possibly an additional Ram Cooler?

If anyone may have some advice I really appreciate it.

Thank you

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Why Patriot ram and not G.Skill or Corsair, Mushkin etc? And any reason you need 24gb of ram? Are your turning the computer into a server? Or doing large renderings, like Cad work?

The power supply should handle two GTX 580's.

Sorry but I have to ask... You may have a boat load of money, but any reason your buying a 1000 dollar processor? Are you planning on doing some heavy overclocking? The reason I ask is there isn't an aftermarket heatsink listed or water cooling.

Joseph30

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
I primarily intend on using the machine for running strictly VST plugins in Cubase 64 bit DAW. My Secondary use is for producing Machinima using possibly either the Unreal Development Kit or CryEngine as well as doing video editing possibly using Adobe Premiere.

For VST, to the best of my understanding, generally speaking the more RAM the better, so this is why I want to max out the P6X58D.

I chose the Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition 24GB as this was just one of the 1600 MHZ kits I found available. I have no immediate plans to overclock the machine.

I was hoping someone might offer any advice.

Questions:
Would I have any potential issues having this amount and Brand of 1600MHZ RAM detected on the P6X58D?

Is 850W Power supply enough?

Would I possibly need a different heatsink CPU cooler than the one that came with the I7-980X ? or even possibly an additional Ram Cooler?

If anyone may have some advice I really appreciate it.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I don't think you'll run into any issues. The QVL is just a list of products which have been tested to work properly with the motherboard. Those modules will probably make it into the QVL in due time.

A 850W PSU is enough for 2 GTX 580s + the rest of the components, as long as its a true-rated PSU. The GTX 580 has a 244W TDB, so 2 of them would need 488~500W. The 980X has a 130W TDP, give it more if you're planning to overclock (same goes with the GPUs). The rest of the components probably wouldn't spend all of the 200W remaining after the CPU+GPU. So if you'll be running at stock, That PSU is enough.

The stock Intel HSF is a tower style HSF, and unless you're going to get something bigger than it (like the Prolimatech Megahalems or Cooler Master V10 / V8) or going down the water cooling path, don't replace it.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
A good majority of the time motherboards detect ram incorrectly, you will most likely need to do some setup in bios. Set the proper voltage, speed, and timings, the manual will show you how.

Once again the power supply will be enough. http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Your going very high end you might as well add an aftermarket cooler for the cpu. The stock fan will work at stock speeds but it will run warm. Your going to be populating all the slots so adding some cooling to the ram would be in your benifit. CPU coolers-------> http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

I'm not sure I understand why you would buy an extreme edition chip and not overclock, that's what they're designed to do, seems like a grotesque waste of money, but to each his own.r

It should, but it's better to buy two 3x8GB kits or best if you can find a 6x8GB kit. In that density and i7-9XX CPU I'd limit myself to the DDR3-1333.

Note: you'll need a 64-bit OS (Professional/Ultimate/Enterprise), and know Home Premium 64-bit is limited to 16GB; see - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7 Some versions of ASUS BIOS required Memory Configuration Protection -> Enabled ; see - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AOylHaCyUA&feature=player_detailpage#t=116s

Many X58's can run 48GB of RAM ; see - http://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips/videos?query=48GB

Some LGA 1366 MOBO's yes and some no, so no guarantees other than it is possible. I've seen several cases of the i7-930, 950 (4-cores) and i7-980X and 990X (6-cores) running 6x8GB 48GB successfully.

Keep in mind the consumer i7's are based upon the Xeon.

My recommendation:
i7-9XX CPU I'd limit myself to the DDR3-1333 - 6x8GB (48GB)