RAID1 plus non-RAID partitions?

reader3800

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Hello,
I'm building a new computer with an SSD for Win7, and 2 new 2TB HDs. Can I create a 200 G partition on each of the 2 HDs independently (not in RAID), and set up the rest of each HD as a large RAID1 partition? Data and user files would go on the RAID1 partition. I would put games and programs I don't use much on one non-RAID partition, and maybe a second OS (WinXP, Win95, Linux?) on the other non-RAID partition. Thanks for all suggestions, I've never used RAID before.

Solution
Can I create a 200 G partition on each of the 2 HDs independently (not in RAID), and set up the rest of each HD as a large RAID1 partition?

NO! RAIDs have to be the whole drive(s). The only way you have "leftovers" is with drives of different sizes.

Since you have 2 very large HDD, you can partiton up one, and use it for different OS/Programs/Games (i.e. Windows 7 on partition 1, Windows XP on partition 2, etc., each with all the programs you want on each OS). Google "Dual Boot WIndows 7 and Windows XP" for more information, and detailed instructions on the how-to's.

Then, for the second drive, use it as a back up for the first drive. RAID 1 is not a viable backup, it only saves you in case of drive failure, which won't...
Can I create a 200 G partition on each of the 2 HDs independently (not in RAID), and set up the rest of each HD as a large RAID1 partition?

NO! RAIDs have to be the whole drive(s). The only way you have "leftovers" is with drives of different sizes.

Since you have 2 very large HDD, you can partiton up one, and use it for different OS/Programs/Games (i.e. Windows 7 on partition 1, Windows XP on partition 2, etc., each with all the programs you want on each OS). Google "Dual Boot WIndows 7 and Windows XP" for more information, and detailed instructions on the how-to's.

Then, for the second drive, use it as a back up for the first drive. RAID 1 is not a viable backup, it only saves you in case of drive failure, which won't work with what you wanted to do. And it doesn't save you from errors, viruses, or malware.

Or, use the first drive for the OS's, and the second for your "Libraries" (i.e. My Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Gaming Data). This will keep this data safe and separate from the OS's, and you can "point" the OS's to this data when needed.

Or, use the first for OS's, and the second drive partition up into 2 parts: one for your Libraries, and one for your back ups.

Nevermind! I just re-read your OP, and this is what you should do:

1-SSD: OS Drive (you can partition is up for multiple OS's depending on size)

2-HDD: Librairies (My Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, Gaming Data)

3-HDD: Back Up for both. You can use Windows or Norton back up. But I like to use Microsoft SyncToy 2.1. I can set it up to back up what I want, where I want it. But, you have to run it manually. Then I edit both Windows and Norton's back up utilitizes, so I don't create mutliple copies of the same stuff.

See my signature below.

So, what brand, type, and size of your SSD?

Solution

reader3800

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Thanks! My SSD is a 256G Samsung 830. I'll check out SyncToy; I was wondering whether to RAID1 for data redundancy, or find a backup program. I now back up occasionally (not very well) to an external HD manually dragging stuff via Windows Explorer.

If you wanted to set up Dual Boot, 256GB is plenty!

I use SyncToy to back up my "Libraries" (i.e My Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos) to my 3rd HDD, and also to the networked drive on my wife's PC. I also back up my "User" folder stuff (i.e. Contacts, Favorites, Links, Searches, and Saved Games).

I change Windows back up to not include my Libraries or User info, but do included the AppData folder in "User", and make a image of the system disk. If you don't have it back up something, you get nasty messages from Windows.

Then, using Norty Security Suite back-up, only e-mails. Once again, if you don't set it up to back up something, you get nasty messages from Norton.

BTW: I have moved the location that Outlook stores my messages/e-mails from User/name/.....to My Documents/Outlook/user. That way I don't loose my emails, and I back them up also.