Sign in with
Your question

How to boot from cd drive without accessing the Bios?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 13, 2010 2:09:42 AM

Hello!
Wasn't sure what section to post this in.Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot! I have searched and couldn't find answers to my questions.With that said :) 
I have an HP Compaq NC6000
For some reason my laptop has taken it apon its self to put an Administrator Bios password on my computer! This is the third time it has done it in the past 7years.
The first 2 times it was easy to get off. A friend of mine brought over an Active Boot disk and it was easily fixed.I havent had a problem accessing my Bios for almost 3 1/2 years and all of a sudden its now asking me for a password! I dont know what could be causing it to lock its self but I am now starting to resent my computer :( 
The problem I am having now is I need to reinstall my windows because I am running out of room on my computer and its really slow.I tried to boot from cd by accessing the Bios and thats how I found out once again there is another Bios password GRRRR
So I tried to start installing XP from the desk top screen ( which seemed to be a bad idea) I wanted to delete the partition and start out fresh but the computer said no because I need some of the files or something ...cant remember exactly what it said. So I tried to install on top of the old one hoping that it would wipe the old one out and start as fresh as possible but It told me I cant do that either :(  because I would have to operating systems on the same partition and would cause problems. The only other option it gave me was to make a new partition on the unpartition space. I don't know how that works or if it is a good idea being that I only have 6.73gb of room left. Not sure if that matters . .not even sure if thats a low amount. It just seems low to me and I know how much crap has been put on the computer in years that hasnt been removed LOL
So I oborted that mission because I wasnt sure if I could do that option.
So Really my BIG questions are WHY does my computer add Bios password on its own? What could be causing it to do this?How can I prevent this in the Future?
My other BIG is I cant boot from disk anymore because I cant access the Bios! So I was wondering if there was any other way to convince my computer to boot from disk the next time it starts up? Like is there some command thing I could do or anything that could let me boot from disk?
If there isnt any other way to boot from disk, does that mean the only way left is to remove the password and to do that I would have to take my computer apart? I really dont want to do that! The whole idea scares the crap out of me!
So any help from you would be Awesome!
Thank you for your time :) 
Mary
December 14, 2010 12:27:38 AM

house70 said:
Try combing through this forum:
http://www.techimo.com/forum/mobile-computing/126058-hp...

YAAAY!!! GOD BLESS YOU!! I read it and found what I needed! I reset the password and am now installing windowS!!!
I THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Could you please help me with One more problem :) 
While I was taking apart my computer I Broke the clip of the fan off! Instead of the Little clip sliding out of the base of the little clip,The whole clip came off Base and all :( 
WHAT DO I DO? CAN THAT BE FIXED? Can I solder* it back together? If so then do I solder* just the 2 side parts to the board or do I have to connect each of the 3 little prong things on the middle of the clip base too? I question that because looking at the base of the clip it doesnt look like the 3 prongs where actually soldered* on, it looks like only the 2 side parts actually had solder* on them.
If I cant repair that myself then can I just prop a fan blowing directly on that side of my computer? How long can I use it without a fan? How hot is too hot?
So Sad! I fixed the problems that seemed impossible and created a bigger Problem!
PLEASE HELP ME
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 1:34:03 PM

Wait... are you talking about the connector on the mobo, or something on the fan itself? If the connector on the mobo has detached from the mobo, you might want to try to solder it back on IF you are handy with that. Otherwise, you can get a Y adapter for the power cable that goes to one of the drives, and hook up a fan plug to it. Something from this page that would fit your fan connector:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
December 15, 2010 1:26:44 AM

house70 said:
Wait... are you talking about the connector on the mobo, or something on the fan itself? If the connector on the mobo has detached from the mobo, you might want to try to solder it back on IF you are handy with that. Otherwise, you can get a Y adapter for the power cable that goes to one of the drives, and hook up a fan plug to it. Something from this page that would fit your fan connector:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Thank you!! I checked out the link and they do look like the fan plug I have.Only problem is I broke the whole thing off.So there is no base for the plug to plug into. Maybe the things on the link are what I need and I just dont know it LOL I look at the pics and it looks to me like its the plug that goes into the base thats hooked to the board.I dont know lol! Well if the pics I looked at are what I need I still don't understand where the other 2 plugs plug into. The part that is to connect the power,Where do you plug that into? I stared at the pics for awhile trying to figure it out hoping something would start making sense to me but Nope I have no idea LOL Im lost!
a b V Motherboard
December 15, 2010 4:02:40 PM

The single cord of the Y splitter plugs into a drive power cable (like an HDD power cable. It then splits into one cable that plugs in a HDD (so you don't lose that functionality), and one that will fit your fan connector. Nothing plugs into the mobo, so you don't need the mobo connector anymore (the one that broke off). It should be like this:
bottom (base ) of Y > female 4 pin power connector
One branch > male 4 pin connector (for the HDD)
one branch > Fan connector (to fit your fan plug).
You just have to make sure you get the right type of Y splitter.
December 17, 2010 1:43:58 AM

Ok Thank you for explaining that! It makes sense to me now :) 
Again thank you so much for your help I couldn't have done it without you!!
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2010 11:17:51 AM

No problem, glad to help.
!