Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Second-gen SandForce SSDs with Toggle NAND

Last response: in Storage
May 9, 2012 6:12:17 PM

I don't know much about SSDs, just look for benchmarks, so is there a chart or something that tells which drives are the ones with Toggle NAND? I was looking at this one on NewEgg from SanDisk.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

How do I know which Sandforce type that is? Toggle NAND, or Sync ONFi NAND etc.
a c 99 G Storage
May 9, 2012 6:32:35 PM

Check THG SSD Review here.

It explains who is what, as below:

1. SandForce controller with Toggle DDR NAND: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe, Patriot Wildfire, OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS, Kingston HyperX 3K, OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G

2. SandForce controller with Synchronous ONFi NAND: OCZ Vertex 3, Corsair Force GT, Kingston HyperX, Intel SSD 520
3. SandForce controller with Asynchronous ONFi NAND: OCZ Agility 3, Corsair Force 3, Mushkin Chronos, Patriot Pyro, OWC Mercury Electra 6G

And no, the SanDisk isn't listed in there. I've heard nothing but bad things about SanDisk. For that price, get a 240GB Intel 520 Series SSD.

But anyway, all SandForce controlled SSD with be about the same. What really matter is the 4K Random reads/writes (IOPS), not Max Seq r/w.

Here is an article to read: The SSD Review - Understanding SSD Advertised Performance...

m
l

Best solution

a c 283 G Storage
May 9, 2012 6:33:37 PM

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link to the ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Scroll down to the SanDisk section where you will find links to 11 technical reviews of the SanDisk Extreme. Follow the links to read the reviews. The reviews will answer your questions.
Related resources
May 9, 2012 6:37:39 PM

foscooter said:
Check THG SSD Review here.

It explains who is what, as below:

1. SandForce controller with Toggle DDR NAND: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe, Patriot Wildfire, OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS, Kingston HyperX 3K, OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G

2. SandForce controller with Synchronous ONFi NAND: OCZ Vertex 3, Corsair Force GT, Kingston HyperX, Intel SSD 520
3. SandForce controller with Asynchronous ONFi NAND: OCZ Agility 3, Corsair Force 3, Mushkin Chronos, Patriot Pyro, OWC Mercury Electra 6G

That didn't list SanDisk though =/
m
l
May 9, 2012 6:37:54 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link to the ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Scroll down to the SanDisk section where you will find links to 11 technical reviews of the SanDisk Extreme. Follow the links to read the reviews. The reviews will answer your questions.

Thanks bud. :)  So I knew the SandForce type, its the same as the WildFire so does that mean its just as good (tier one), because it seems thats how Toms is compiling them now, even though the benchmarks seem to disagree? Or am I wayyyy off on that thinking? If so NewEgg has that on sale for 230 dollars this morning, looks like its sold out now though...

EDIT - Oops didn't mean to double post.
m
l
May 9, 2012 6:38:19 PM

Best answer selected by Helltech.
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
May 9, 2012 6:53:43 PM

Quote:
its the same as the WildFire

It could be a re-branded Wildfire. If that is the case, it'll be a good one.

My Microcenter G2 Series SSDs (in my wife's rig) are really AData 599's.
m
l
May 9, 2012 6:55:34 PM

Well a lot of drives use that same controller, but the performance seems much worse than a Wildfire looking at the benchmarks, so I don't get it.
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
May 9, 2012 6:59:56 PM

Adverstised Speeds are close enough.

What are you seing?
m
l
May 9, 2012 7:02:56 PM

Ooops nevermind the links I was comparing was a 120GB model, nevermind. Seems like its up there with the Wildfire SE... well too bad its sold out, that was a great price under a dollar a gig. XD 110 dollars off. T_T
m
l
!