5830 crossfire with eyefinity

bumpbmxsbc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
i have been reading around and i havent found a solid answer.

i just got my second 5830 and i want to do eyefinity.

but it doesnt see the third monitor?

it only sees two out of the three monitors

has anyone had this problem?

i know with one card you have to have a display port but i read around before i bought it and i thought you could use the second card to do eyefinity?

carl9331

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
You need an active DP to DVI adapter in order to enable eyefinity across three monitors. Just got my three 1920 x 1200 monitors recognized by the software by grouping them into a 5760 x 1200 desktop.

There's a small footnote in the manufacturer website that in order to enable three monitors to just run on one card, one of the monitors need to be through the DP port. It was just cheaper to get the $100 "active" DP-to-DVI adapter than to replace the 3 hannsg monitors we got.

Starges

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

Got a link for the adapter?? :eek:

sparkman

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

As far as I understand it, this adapter is passive not active. You could use a passive adapter if it was only two monitors together on a graphics card. For eyefinity it is three so the adapter needs to be "active" which means it will have to be powered by a USB port. An active DP to DVI is one like this. Although I've heard some people get a passive adapter to work, but it can be buggy, that can sometimes require a reboot. So if you aren't gaming heavily and are fine with rebooting a lot get the cheaper passive adapter. If you are gaming heavily or don't want to reboot all of the time, you will have to the more expansive active adapter. Personally it doesn't make much sense to me why there needs to be an "active" adapter and why it has to be DisplayPort at all. Does somebody know this and could it be explained?