Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Finished.. For now. Opinions / Advice?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 22, 2013 5:10:10 AM

This is my first time building a pc since my 4200 x2 and been working on this for a the past few months this has been my main source for resources and for that I thank you all. I have been inspired by the system gallery and the Watercooling gallery. I am very proud of my machine. Except the black ops 2 patch some one wanted me to add it to there so it's only there temporary

System Specs

3570k @ 4.5ghz, 1. 245
As rock extreme 4
Gskill sniper 4x2gb low voltage (one stick is in my girlfriend pc so she can do school work)
Corsair 600watt psu
Corsair 600t
Msi twin frozr 2 6950

Watercooling

Ek cool stream xt 240
Phobya extreme 200mm
Swiftech mcp655
Heatkiller rev 3.0 lc
Swiftech mcw82
Xspc dual bay resevoir
Tygon tubing

What you guys think?
I'mnot eexperienced at all in over clocking gpus can someone point me to a guide please? In msi afterburner I can only go up like 30 mhz

Load temps running prime 95 blend and fur mark for one hour max temp forcpu was 71 and gpu was 51 . Are my Cputemps too high? Should I lower my over clock?
February 22, 2013 8:36:39 AM

Cpu seems a weeny bit high. It's expected, ivy heats up more on overclocking but try to get it a few degrees lower. And gpu seems ok..... Try not to use furmark its so stressing it kinda pushes the gpu too much. .
Why don't you use catalyst for overclocking? I personally feel afterburner is a bit hard to follow. Here's a guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/340404-33-wolfram-ove...
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2013 9:48:15 PM

Both temps seem high to me; you have plenty of rad space, and shouldn't be breaking ~55C on the CPU and ~40C on the GPU.

My first guess would be that the blocks aren't mounted quite properly, or that there was an issue with the thermal paste. Gonna have to think about this one for a while.
Related resources
February 22, 2013 10:21:16 PM

I've applies thermal paste countless of times on xbox, and pc so I know that I'm applying it right I'm using artic cerimique or so the thingof tthe sort. I tightened the cpu block up some more scared to at first but it dropped temps a few degrees but still higher than I would think too. Gpu seems fine to me at 50 degrees at load before it was like 80 degrees before water but one of myfan blades wwere broke
m
l
February 22, 2013 10:22:29 PM

Also I've tried adjustingfan speeds ffrom hi-med-low doesn't seem to make a difference in temps which surprises me.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 22, 2013 10:31:22 PM

IB chips run hot, but might be that you can drop voltage a bit and remain stable. GPU temps are definitely warm...might be a case airflow issue?
m
l
February 22, 2013 10:42:08 PM

I have both fans on the 200mm rad as intake then a 80mm fan blowing directly on gpu from underneath. I leave the side panel off too.

EDIT* Hottest core on idle for cpu is 27 degrees and gpu idles at 35 for heads up ambient temps is about 23 degrees
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2013 10:44:57 PM

Pgooch said:
I have both fans on the 200mm rad as intake then a 80mm fan blowing directly on gpu from underneath. I leave the side panel off too.

Leaving the side panel on should make a difference. Having it off ruins the airflow.
m
l
February 22, 2013 10:47:39 PM

boiler1990 said:
Leaving the side panel on should make a difference. Having it off ruins the airflow.

I will try that and post back with results
m
l
February 22, 2013 10:57:13 PM

Got up to 50 degrees in furmark within 5 minutes like always but after it hits max temp it will fluctuate down and up but wont go past 51
m
l
February 22, 2013 11:13:05 PM

Quote:
I thought gpu temps were normal up to the 70s

With an aircooler them are fine temps
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 1:23:59 AM

IMO it looks really nice, there is only one cable that I would move and that is the HD audio cable could come out of the small cutout that holds down the PSU and the same possibly for those USB cables.

One question is that a tiny fan right by the power supply, if so what is it's purpose?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 3:23:22 AM

Quote:
I think it's sad you have an Extreme4 and custom water loop. Whoever told you to buy the Extreme4 was wrong. Unless you bought it at microcenter on sale for $64, the extreme4 is a terrible board.

The Extreme4 isn't the best board out there, but it's not a bad board either.

Quote:
The CX600 is a pretty bad psu. I bought a couple CX's and I deeply regret them. They might have the amperage on their 12v rails, but their voltage regulators are crap, the fans in them emit a high pitched pulsing, and the connectors are made of cheap parts that snap easily.

The CX units aren't Seasonics, which is why they aren't as highly reviewed, but they're still solid units. Sounds like you had one or two bad ones, but your experiences aren't the statistical norm.

Quote:
Sounds like a waste of money to be honest, that you got water cooling without knowing much about overclocking. You should overcloc, or more specifically bin your chips, before buying a cooler.

Doesn't matter what order he got it in. Watercooling makes OCing easier since now he (in theory) shouldn't have to worry much about thermal limitations. However, there's obviously a snag in the temps.

Quote:
What happens if your chip is an amazing overclocker, and really appreciates voltage, and the radiator you buy isn't enough? On the flip side, what happens if your chip can only do 4.5ghz@1.456vcore like one of the 3570ks' I bought, and buying anything more than a Hyper 212+ for is a total waste of money?

If your load temp is only 71*c, that's extremely cool for ivy bridge. I don't know what some of the people in this thread are talking about, as long as your max core temp during small fft prime95 is less than 90-95*C, you are running good.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you have little to no knowledge or experience with watercooling. A properly built loop with enough rad space (like this one) should be able to maintain a stock CPU at around 50-60C under full load. He should have a ton of headroom for OCing and voltage tweaking, but there's a problem with the temps at the moment.

Quote:
If you delid your Ivy Bridge, it actually runs much, much cooler than Sandy Bridge.

Yes, let's skip potential problems with the loop (which are the most likely, given that the CPU and GPU are both suffering) and jump to a drastic and permanent solution that will void his warranty and still not solve the issue at hand.

Quote:
You should throw away your HDD. I hope there's an SSD behind that motherboard panel. That HDD is ugly. How much storage do you even need on a gaming computer? My current gaming computer only is using 32GB, and my previous build used 50GB after 3 years. Given that, I bought a 64GB Samsung 840 PRO for $80, instead of buying some big HDD.

This is just ridiculous. Nobody here cares what you did with your SSD because it has absolutely nothing to do with the problems pgooch is having with his loop.

Way to contribute next to nothing in this thread.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 3:27:09 AM

OP, what sort of fans are you running?

Are your blocks tightened down all the way? They should be pretty tight (my CPU block always bent my mobo slightly, though that's a smidge too tight).

It just seems like either there's an airflow or waterblock contact problem, unless it is a flow issue (which I doubt unless the heatkiller block is directional).
m
l
February 23, 2013 4:59:13 AM

boiler1990 said:
OP, what sort of fans are you running?

Are your blocks tightened down all the way? They should be pretty tight (my CPU block always bent my mobo slightly, though that's a smidge too tight).

It just seems like either there's an airflow or waterblock contact problem, unless it is a flow issue (which I doubt unless the heatkiller block is directional).

I am using old stock fans out of my antec illusion, they push some air even for being on lowest setting, on highes setting temps only drop 2 degress and are way louder. I tightened the block on my cpu down pretty good, gpu little afraid too, considering the way it mounts is akward, planning on buying a backplate for it. When i squeeze the tubes it doesnt really seem to be much flow in there i dnt know what to expect though.

As for the fan on bottom its blowing on the vrams my 6950 came with a plate over them, the unibody heatsink is being shipped to me but i was too impstient to wait.

The fans on the 200mm rad are the stock ones from my 600t
m
l
February 23, 2013 5:44:55 AM

At stock clocks CPU temps are about 50-53 degress
m
l
February 23, 2013 5:47:19 AM

mlcaouette said:
IMO it looks really nice, there is only one cable that I would move and that is the HD audio cable could come out of the small cutout that holds down the PSU and the same possibly for those USB cables.

One question is that a tiny fan right by the power supply, if so what is it's purpose?

Thank you never thought about that, will give that a try tomorrow
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 2:54:33 PM

Quote:
There's no problem here. People are posting terrible advice in here because they are clueless. 50*C for GPU temps, 70*C for CPU temps, that's called cool running. The stock cooler will hit up to 85*C on a stock i5-3570k. 90-95*C is generally considered the max temp for ivy bridge, and that's for stability, not the 105*C tjmax temp.

:lol: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 23, 2013 2:56:46 PM

Pgooch said:
At stock clocks CPU temps are about 50-53 degress

Is that at load or just idle? That seems normal for load temps.

I'm wondering if there's an air bubble in one/both of the rads. That could really kill your temps because you wouldn't be getting maximum heat transfer to the rad fins.
m
l
February 23, 2013 3:35:19 PM

That's load at stock clocks
m
l
February 25, 2013 9:26:34 PM

Re mounted the gpu block and put on artic silver 5 instead of the swift tech brand and temps are now 45 degrees at load @ 975 core 1475 memory 1.125 v, and so temps are even lowerwwith the over clock, and I heard artic silver has to cure so hopefully even better temps. Will do cpu soon, and post back with results
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2013 10:24:16 PM

That sounds much more reasonable for the GPU. There was no reason it should have been in the 70s on water.
m
l
March 8, 2013 1:40:02 AM

Best answer selected by Pgooch.
m
l
!