Pair of gaming comps. New build

kubien

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next week
BUDGET RANGE: About $1000 each or less (obviously less would be nice ;)).
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (primarily WoW, 25man raids), internet, the usual.
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, OS (Windows 7 pro), Speakers
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon and Newegg preferred.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: None
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am buying 2 systems. One for myself and one for the S.O. with a budget of 1k each. So, no limit 1 specials :p. Both of us primarily play WoW in 25-man raids, and other games, but getting WoW to be able to run at max settings, smoothly, during a 25-man raid or in Dalaran is the main goal. Being able to play other games at mid-max is also nice.
- Also looking for a pair of headsets if anyone has a recommendation. Nothing fancy, just something that wont make us sound like we are in a fishtank.
- Raid 0 setup? - I've been debating going with a raid 0 setup, and storing important files on another drive (pulled from current computers). Would it be worth it?

Thanks in advance!

kubien

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Thank you very much!

If I don't overclock (and don't get the HSF), will that case have sufficient airflow with just the single back fan, or would I need to add in a front/side fan? Or should I just go with the HSF whether or not I decide to overclock?

Did I also need to pickup a thing of thermal compound? or should I be fine without it?

The case is a very cheap option, but is still a good one. The HSF is only need if/when you decide to overclock. Seeing as that isn't the case right now, I would spend a little more on a better case (such as Coolermaster 690).

You don't need any thermal compound, even if you're overclocking as both the aftermarket HSF and the stock will come with it preapplied. The only time you would need it would be if you're trying for a massive overclock.