XP Pro "My computer" wont see new storage devices

I would appreciate any help.

When attaching a new storage device it will not display in My Computer.
I have tried an Iomega external USB hard drive and a new internal IDE drive.
Device manager sees the device and I can even explore it from there. I can
also change drive letters etc.
But windows explorer will not see it snd therefore also not my backup s/ware

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

I'm going to do something dangerous here, assuming that those are NEW
devices, not used before.
In that case, right click My Computer, Manage and open up Disk Management.
You'll see your new device in there with unallocated space.
Right click that space and follow the menu options and instructions to
prepare the disk for use, ie. write a signature on the disk (the wizard will
assist you with that) and create a partition or partitions to your liking.
Format and you're set to go.

hth

george