Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GA-890FXA-UD5 BSODs while playing games/ watching movies

Last response: in Motherboards
December 13, 2010 12:31:02 PM

Ever since I got a new mobo and other core components, my computer starts shutting off randomly only while playing games or watching a movie.

I have tried 3 different 900W-1000W PSUs (all different manufacturers) and they seem to be functioning fine. I went through 3 different video cards. , memtest86 on the memory with no errors, stress tested the crap out of my system for hours on end with no failures in memory, CPU or GPU... I also have swapped out my old 500 GB Barracuda for a new one because the old was giving me weird SMART errors.

Then it seemed that it is down to Windows 7, which I have reinstalled once, and possibly my HDD set-up. My current HDD set-up is Intel X25 40 GB for windows and a 500 GB Seagate Barracuda for apps and games. Does this sound odd? They include Kernel-Power Crit Error, which I am assuming happens when the computer crashes and I have to restart the computer manually, and a couple non-critical errors that seem to be linked to the Microsoft Virus Protection. No BSOD errors show up, its sometimes black screen with looping sound.

Temps are ALWAYS 35-65 C on my GPU and 32-45 C on my CPU. I have a HAF case so airflow is good. Ambient temps are around 23-25 C in case and an average of 21 C in the room the computer is in.

Please help!!

I am at my last straw here and have spent waaay too much money on trying to fix this thing. You are my last hope.

Some of the errors I get (dump files do not save).

1. atikmdag.sys
2. 0x000007f
2. 0x000001e

and the one that DID have a dump file.

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050031, 0x00000000000006f8,
0xfffff80002d098c1)

*** ntoskrnl.exe - Address 0xfffff80002ccf740 base at 0xfffff80002c5f000 DateStamp
0x4c1c44a9

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-890FXA-UD5(rev. 2.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 2.0
BIOS Ver : F4
Serial No. :
Purchase Dealer : NewEgg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : ATi Model : 2x Sapphire 5870 eyfinity 6 (crossfired)
CPU Brand : AMD Model : 965 BE Speed : 3.4 GHz
Operation System : Win 7 64-bit SP :
Memory Brand : Gskill Type : DDR3
Memory Size : 4 x 2 GB Speed : 1600 MHz
Power Supply : 900 W
a c 212 V Motherboard
December 13, 2010 1:07:21 PM

What version of Catalyst are you using? Also, are all of your drivers up to date?

Your hardware config seems fine. What you are describing may be a driver issue.

Are you overclocking your GPUs? If so, revert to default levels. Also, you might consider removing one of your 5870s to see if it makes a difference.
m
l
December 13, 2010 1:48:59 PM

I have not overclocked anything. Drivers are completely up to date. The only problem I am having deciphering is the "AMD Chipset driver" from the Gigabyte website here http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3417...

Decompress the file and tell me what you think.

Is it the same as the video drivers? Is it something I have to install? Whenever I try to install it it basically looks the same as a set-up for the Catalyst. I have not had much luck with this either btw.

It really is looking like it's my mobo...
m
l
Related resources
a c 212 V Motherboard
December 13, 2010 2:17:43 PM

Go to ati.com and get the chipset (and video for that matter) drivers from them. Assuming you are using 64-but Win 7, you can go the link below:

Video:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win...

Chipset (get the SB drivers from the optional downloads tab):
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/integrated...

It will look like the video driver install as both use Catalyst as the utility for manging drivers, but it will indeed apply different drivers. This is normal.

See if these help.
m
l
December 13, 2010 2:21:20 PM

OK, thanks for the help... This was driving me crazy. I will try this tonight and will update later. Thanks again
m
l

Best solution

a c 212 V Motherboard
December 13, 2010 2:33:52 PM

While you are at, run a memtest to verify your RAM is all good. Also, confirm that your memory is running at default settings (just set your mobo to automatically set the speed).

Don't run at the rated 1600 level, rather run at the default 1333 level. Performance differences are negligible (at best) while stability can increase dramtically.
December 13, 2010 2:51:41 PM

Yes, I have run memtest86 on all individual sticks and as a set (all passed). I will also run default settings on the memory again (I have tried this before with no difference in performance or crashing/ BSODs). Won't hurt to try it again though...
m
l
December 13, 2010 8:46:52 PM

So far so good with the recommended downclock and drivers. However, I do not believe that this thread should be closed. I will continue to test and will update in a day or two.
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
December 13, 2010 9:01:17 PM

eggsnbakey said:
So far so good with the recommended downclock and drivers. However, I do not believe that this thread should be closed. I will continue to test and will update in a day or two.

We are all pulling for you. Best wishes to you for a nice, stable system.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 8:05:42 AM

+1 for ram @ 1333 (official spec, also manually set the timings), also the SSD - perhaps theres some firmware upgrades and a deep format/reset - i doubt it since its Intel but other SSD's require this from time to time
m
l
December 14, 2010 10:41:31 AM

apache_lives said:
+1 for ram @ 1333 (official spec, also manually set the timings), also the SSD - perhaps theres some firmware upgrades and a deep format/reset - i doubt it since its Intel but other SSD's require this from time to time

What do you mean by +1 for ram @ 1333? I have manually set the timings and voltages per the G Skill support team and that didn't do any good. I suspect that was part of the problem in the first place.

You are correct for the SSD but I keep mine up to date. My model is pretty much the first model they released for SSDs on the market so a lot of the maintenance is still up to the user. That means that I have to run a utility at least once a month as well as keeping the software up to date.

Upgrading the firmware is a pain in the butt and even if you do get it flashed there is no guarantee your data will still be on it.

Update

Still no crashes but I would still like to do a little more testing tonight and possibly tomorrow. I am kinda cautious about closing this since in a different thread I didn't do enough testing and before I knew it, I was saying everything was fixed. Not the case. That's why I started a new updated thread.
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 12:27:33 PM

eggsnbakey said:
What do you mean by +1 for ram @ 1333? I have manually set the timings and voltages per the G Skill support team and that didn't do any good. I suspect that was part of the problem in the first place.

You are correct for the SSD but I keep mine up to date. My model is pretty much the first model they released for SSDs on the market so a lot of the maintenance is still up to the user. That means that I have to run a utility at least once a month as well as keeping the software up to date.

Upgrading the firmware is a pain in the butt and even if you do get it flashed there is no guarantee your data will still be on it.

Update

Still no crashes but I would still like to do a little more testing tonight and possibly tomorrow. I am kinda cautious about closing this since in a different thread I didn't do enough testing and before I knew it, I was saying everything was fixed. Not the case. That's why I started a new updated thread.

Understood on closing the thread. You are doing the right thing there to leave open until the fix is verified.

I think what apache_lives was referring to was to the suggestion I made earlier regarding running your memory at 1333 (standard) vice 1600 speeds (rated). While your memory is rated to run at 1600, the standard is actually 1333. Performance wise, the difference is negligible but stability differences can be massive. Technically, running your 1600 rated memory at 1600 is OCing the memory. For me, I never recommend OCing memory as it can just be too finicky to get to work and the benefits don't outweigh the headaches.

Regardless, glad you seem to be making progress. Good luck and happy holidays!!!
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 2:09:31 PM

Pull {unplug SATA cord from MOBO} both the '500 GB Seagate Barracuda' HDD and DVD; leaving ONLY the SSD connected. Does this 'fix' the BSOD?

Q - What revision of GA-890FXA-UD5 and BIOS version?
Q - What EXACT ports are the SSD, HDD, and ODD {DVD} installed on? Please list...
m
l
December 14, 2010 2:22:22 PM

jaquith said:
Pull {unplug SATA cord from MOBO} Does this 'fix' the BSOD?

The BSODs have subsided for now... I do not believe that my SATA set-up is the problem. If I run into any more crashes I will try it out.

On another note, what does PCIe Spread Spectrum do? It's about halfway down in the BIOS screenshot. I had unintentionally enabled it last night. Will this reduce my performance?

*Note this is NOT a screenshot of my BIOS - just an example
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 2:34:54 PM

I edited above, take a second look. I accidentally typed over the 'Barracuda' then added more stuff.

GA MOBO's are notorious for SSD's causing BSOD and in turn Kernel errors. Run ATTO or similar drive performance App. ATTO {requires free registration otherwise Google ATTO Benchmark; I prefer the non-virus laced version hence OEM site -> http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?sku=Disk_B...

I don't think you're going anything 'wrong' I'm painfully aware of SSD + HDD + BSOD with Gigabyte. You 'game' would require the accessing of both SSD + HDD and testing the HDD with ATTO may trigger the BSOD and if it does then that will confirm the problem.

The solution 'might' be to run the SSD and HDD/DVD on separate SATA Controllers.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 2:36:08 PM

BTW - IF you have ANY Gigabyte Utilities installed then remove them ALL.
m
l
December 14, 2010 2:38:35 PM

jaquith said:
I edited above, take a second look. I accidentally typed over the 'Barracuda' then added more stuff.

GA MOBO's are notorious for SSD's causing BSOD and in turn Kernel errors. Run ATTO or similar drive performance App. ATTO {requires free registration otherwise Google ATTO Benchmark; I prefer the non-virus laced version hence OEM site -> http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?sku=Disk_B...

I don't think you're going anything 'wrong' I'm painfully aware of SSD + HDD + BSOD with Gigabyte. You 'game' would require the accessing of both SSD + HDD and testing the HDD with ATTO may trigger the BSOD and if it does then that will confirm the problem.

The solution 'might' be to run the SSD and HDD/DVD on separate SATA Controllers.

Model Name : GA-890FXA-UD5(rev. 2.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 2.0
BIOS Ver : F4

I will try this out if I am still having problems. The BSODs that I got, however, seemed all related to the PCIe bridge or ATI drivers. But that's why suggestions are good :) 

EDIT

I don't believe in mobo manufacturer's utilities because in the past, on my older rigs, they have only caused problems. Especially OC utilities.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 2:53:40 PM

I looked at the BIOS updates, and I would recommend an update; the F5 "RAID ROM" goes along with my suspicions. F6 is the latest.

The PCIe Spread Spectrum is about noise, and I doubt it had anything to do with the BSOD http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4154

Q - What other 'tweaks' have you made to the BIOS?
Q - On the SATA are you running IDE or AHCI? Also, if AHCI did you make the change after OS install. If you did -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

For the most part Load Optimized is fine unless you're OC'ing.
m
l
December 14, 2010 3:15:17 PM

Well, I made sure that all of my settings were back to default, which COLGeek recommended. This made my system stable for the most part (still testing). As far as the SATA settings go I am almost positive they are set to IDE but I may be wrong. I am currently killing time at work answering this thread so I can't give you a straight answer.

I will install the new BIOS update tonight if I am feeling brave enough.

How can I tell what SATA I am running? Those settings were always default for me. Never touched'em on any Windows install or BIOS tweak.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 3:24:52 PM

The simplest way to determine SATA Ports is to look in your manual of the port numbers and then follow the SATA wires to the SSD/HDD/DVD. Since you have SATA3 often they're not listed in the BIOS.

When updating the BIOS use the Q-Flash method. This guy has a 3-part video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFLRCwhjujM
m
l
December 14, 2010 10:45:45 PM

I flashed my BIOS (success F6), more stress testing (passed), SATA Checked (OK), Optimized Defaults (complete).

It's still running pretty stable. Would anyone object if I left this thread open for a bit longer? I will not neglect to update.
m
l
a c 212 V Motherboard
December 14, 2010 11:53:49 PM

Leave it open until you are comfortable. Not an issue at all.
m
l
December 16, 2010 11:42:21 AM

My PC is running quite smoothly and my other 5870 just got to CAL for my RMA service (sent it in a week or so ago because I thought my older 5870 was the issue). It should be back an in my hands within the next couple weeks. I would like to reinstall this card in crossfire to see if all issues are resolved.

Stay tuned :) 
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
December 16, 2010 1:57:26 PM

Glad to hear - surprised it takes so long to exchange the GPU. Q - What's the Mfg?
m
l
December 16, 2010 2:32:52 PM

Well, Sapphire told me it COULD take up to 1-2 weeks for it to be returned.

Quote:
1. RMA number must be marked on the outside of your return carton box or package will be rejected.

2. Please send the video card only. DO NOT return any packing material and accessories such as: color box, cables,

CD driver and owner's manuals. Using a bubble bag to protect the product is recommended. Fulfilled the return

box with packing peanuts; recommend using security sealing tape to seal the box.

3. Make sure your mailing address is correct. Incorrect mailing address will cause shipment delay and extra charge.

If you're moving, please let us know immediately. To update your mailing address, please send us an email to

RMA@althonmicro.com and include both your previous and new addresses.

4. Please ship return packages back using a carrier that provides tracking and insurance.

Althon Micro, Inc. is not responsible for any lost or damaged returns. Therefore, we highly recommend

that your package be insured with a delivery confirmation.

5. Warranty will be voided for the following cases:

. Return product is physically damaged or modified by customer.

. Return product becomes non-functional due to customer improper use.

. Return product can not be verified as Sapphire product.

. Defacing product labeling (Serial Number/Part Number or its label is damaged or missing)

6. RMA# is valid for 20 days from the date of issue.

7. RMA turn around time is 1-2 weeks after we receive the return product.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
December 16, 2010 2:49:44 PM

Just so you know what they do - they test the card -> pass sent right back to you; -> fail old one in the trash bin and the closest match boom back to you.

I read "sent it in a week or so ago" & "back an in my hands within the next couple weeks" -> I take that to mean ~ 1 month which is crazy.
m
l
December 16, 2010 3:00:55 PM

Yeah *sigh* I hope they just send it back to me because I have a feeling my OCs were what were causing my BSODs and such.

I also went cheap and sent it expedited ground or something which is why it took a while to get to them. I live half way across the country from them too.
m
l
December 21, 2010 10:44:39 PM

Just got word that I will be receiving my other 5870 back from Sapphire's RMA service. I still have had no problems since I defaulted back to default clocks and BIOS restore.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Look for an update on system stability next week. *crosses fingers*
m
l
December 29, 2010 5:41:15 PM

Hello again, everyone. I am ready to pick the best answer. I just got back my other 5870 and my system has been able to benchmark with all games and movies. It seems as though the memory timings were the culprit, even though they were the recommended timings from the manufacturer AND I was getting ATI driver BSODs. Thanks everyone who helped me out, now I am going to try to OC and find better, tighter, and more stable timings.

Thanks again!
m
l
December 29, 2010 5:41:46 PM

Best answer selected by eggsnbakey.
m
l
!