GA-890FXA-UD5 BSODs while playing games/ watching movies

eggsnbakey

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Ever since I got a new mobo and other core components, my computer starts shutting off randomly only while playing games or watching a movie.

I have tried 3 different 900W-1000W PSUs (all different manufacturers) and they seem to be functioning fine. I went through 3 different video cards. , memtest86 on the memory with no errors, stress tested the crap out of my system for hours on end with no failures in memory, CPU or GPU... I also have swapped out my old 500 GB Barracuda for a new one because the old was giving me weird SMART errors.

Then it seemed that it is down to Windows 7, which I have reinstalled once, and possibly my HDD set-up. My current HDD set-up is Intel X25 40 GB for windows and a 500 GB Seagate Barracuda for apps and games. Does this sound odd? They include Kernel-Power Crit Error, which I am assuming happens when the computer crashes and I have to restart the computer manually, and a couple non-critical errors that seem to be linked to the Microsoft Virus Protection. No BSOD errors show up, its sometimes black screen with looping sound.

Temps are ALWAYS 35-65 C on my GPU and 32-45 C on my CPU. I have a HAF case so airflow is good. Ambient temps are around 23-25 C in case and an average of 21 C in the room the computer is in.

Please help!!

I am at my last straw here and have spent waaay too much money on trying to fix this thing. You are my last hope.

Some of the errors I get (dump files do not save).

1. atikmdag.sys
2. 0x000007f
2. 0x000001e

and the one that DID have a dump file.

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050031, 0x00000000000006f8,
0xfffff80002d098c1)

*** ntoskrnl.exe - Address 0xfffff80002ccf740 base at 0xfffff80002c5f000 DateStamp
0x4c1c44a9

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-890FXA-UD5(rev. 2.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 2.0
BIOS Ver : F4
Serial No. :
Purchase Dealer : NewEgg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : ATi Model : 2x Sapphire 5870 eyfinity 6 (crossfired)
CPU Brand : AMD Model : 965 BE Speed : 3.4 GHz
Operation System : Win 7 64-bit SP :
Memory Brand : Gskill Type : DDR3
Memory Size : 4 x 2 GB Speed : 1600 MHz
Power Supply : 900 W

Solution
While you are at, run a memtest to verify your RAM is all good. Also, confirm that your memory is running at default settings (just set your mobo to automatically set the speed).

Don't run at the rated 1600 level, rather run at the default 1333 level. Performance differences are negligible (at best) while stability can increase dramtically.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What version of Catalyst are you using? Also, are all of your drivers up to date?

Your hardware config seems fine. What you are describing may be a driver issue.

Are you overclocking your GPUs? If so, revert to default levels. Also, you might consider removing one of your 5870s to see if it makes a difference.

eggsnbakey

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I have not overclocked anything. Drivers are completely up to date. The only problem I am having deciphering is the "AMD Chipset driver" from the Gigabyte website here http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3417&dl=1#dl

Decompress the file and tell me what you think.

Is it the same as the video drivers? Is it something I have to install? Whenever I try to install it it basically looks the same as a set-up for the Catalyst. I have not had much luck with this either btw.

It really is looking like it's my mobo...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Go to ati.com and get the chipset (and video for that matter) drivers from them. Assuming you are using 64-but Win 7, you can go the link below:

Video:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

Chipset (get the SB drivers from the optional downloads tab):
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/integrated_win7-64.aspx#3

It will look like the video driver install as both use Catalyst as the utility for manging drivers, but it will indeed apply different drivers. This is normal.

See if these help.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
While you are at, run a memtest to verify your RAM is all good. Also, confirm that your memory is running at default settings (just set your mobo to automatically set the speed).

Don't run at the rated 1600 level, rather run at the default 1333 level. Performance differences are negligible (at best) while stability can increase dramtically.

Solution

eggsnbakey

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Yes, I have run memtest86 on all individual sticks and as a set (all passed). I will also run default settings on the memory again (I have tried this before with no difference in performance or crashing/ BSODs). Won't hurt to try it again though...

eggsnbakey

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
So far so good with the recommended downclock and drivers. However, I do not believe that this thread should be closed. I will continue to test and will update in a day or two.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

We are all pulling for you. Best wishes to you for a nice, stable system.

eggsnbakey

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

What do you mean by +1 for ram @ 1333? I have manually set the timings and voltages per the G Skill support team and that didn't do any good. I suspect that was part of the problem in the first place.

You are correct for the SSD but I keep mine up to date. My model is pretty much the first model they released for SSDs on the market so a lot of the maintenance is still up to the user. That means that I have to run a utility at least once a month as well as keeping the software up to date.

Upgrading the firmware is a pain in the butt and even if you do get it flashed there is no guarantee your data will still be on it.

Update

Still no crashes but I would still like to do a little more testing tonight and possibly tomorrow. I am kinda cautious about closing this since in a different thread I didn't do enough testing and before I knew it, I was saying everything was fixed. Not the case. That's why I started a new updated thread.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Understood on closing the thread. You are doing the right thing there to leave open until the fix is verified.

I think what apache_lives was referring to was to the suggestion I made earlier regarding running your memory at 1333 (standard) vice 1600 speeds (rated). While your memory is rated to run at 1600, the standard is actually 1333. Performance wise, the difference is negligible but stability differences can be massive. Technically, running your 1600 rated memory at 1600 is OCing the memory. For me, I never recommend OCing memory as it can just be too finicky to get to work and the benefits don't outweigh the headaches.

Regardless, glad you seem to be making progress. Good luck and happy holidays!!!

Pull {unplug SATA cord from MOBO} both the '500 GB Seagate Barracuda' HDD and DVD; leaving ONLY the SSD connected. Does this 'fix' the BSOD?

Q - What revision of GA-890FXA-UD5 and BIOS version?
Q - What EXACT ports are the SSD, HDD, and ODD {DVD} installed on? Please list...

eggsnbakey

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

The BSODs have subsided for now... I do not believe that my SATA set-up is the problem. If I run into any more crashes I will try it out.

On another note, what does PCIe Spread Spectrum do? It's about halfway down in the BIOS screenshot. I had unintentionally enabled it last night. Will this reduce my performance?

gigabyte_890fxa_ud5_bios2.jpg

*Note this is NOT a screenshot of my BIOS - just an example

I edited above, take a second look. I accidentally typed over the 'Barracuda' then added more stuff.

GA MOBO's are notorious for SSD's causing BSOD and in turn Kernel errors. Run ATTO or similar drive performance App. ATTO {requires free registration otherwise Google ATTO Benchmark; I prefer the non-virus laced version hence OEM site -> http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?sku=Disk_Benchmark

I don't think you're going anything 'wrong' I'm painfully aware of SSD + HDD + BSOD with Gigabyte. You 'game' would require the accessing of both SSD + HDD and testing the HDD with ATTO may trigger the BSOD and if it does then that will confirm the problem.

The solution 'might' be to run the SSD and HDD/DVD on separate SATA Controllers.

eggsnbakey

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

Model Name : GA-890FXA-UD5(rev. 2.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 2.0
BIOS Ver : F4

I will try this out if I am still having problems. The BSODs that I got, however, seemed all related to the PCIe bridge or ATI drivers. But that's why suggestions are good :)

EDIT

I don't believe in mobo manufacturer's utilities because in the past, on my older rigs, they have only caused problems. Especially OC utilities.

I looked at the BIOS updates, and I would recommend an update; the F5 "RAID ROM" goes along with my suspicions. F6 is the latest.

The PCIe Spread Spectrum is about noise, and I doubt it had anything to do with the BSOD http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4154

Q - What other 'tweaks' have you made to the BIOS?
Q - On the SATA are you running IDE or AHCI? Also, if AHCI did you make the change after OS install. If you did -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

For the most part Load Optimized is fine unless you're OC'ing.

eggsnbakey

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Well, I made sure that all of my settings were back to default, which COLGeek recommended. This made my system stable for the most part (still testing). As far as the SATA settings go I am almost positive they are set to IDE but I may be wrong. I am currently killing time at work answering this thread so I can't give you a straight answer.

I will install the new BIOS update tonight if I am feeling brave enough.

How can I tell what SATA I am running? Those settings were always default for me. Never touched'em on any Windows install or BIOS tweak.

eggsnbakey

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I flashed my BIOS (success F6), more stress testing (passed), SATA Checked (OK), Optimized Defaults (complete).

It's still running pretty stable. Would anyone object if I left this thread open for a bit longer? I will not neglect to update.

eggsnbakey

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
My PC is running quite smoothly and my other 5870 just got to CAL for my RMA service (sent it in a week or so ago because I thought my older 5870 was the issue). It should be back an in my hands within the next couple weeks. I would like to reinstall this card in crossfire to see if all issues are resolved.

Stay tuned :)