Solved

RAM not stable @ 1600mhz; solution?

Hi all,

I recently put a gaming rig together and I'm having problems getting my RAM to stabilize @ 1600mhz. Right now it's currently sitting @ 1066mhz, where the mobo put it at upon first boot.

The computer works fine @ 1066, but once I try to use the 1600mhz profile in my BIOS, I start Windows and usually get about 10-15 minutes into what I'm doing before I get a BSOD and memory dumping.

I'm using the following MOBO and RAM:

ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

+

G.SKILL 6GB (3x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225 (link option not working! :pt1cable: )

The motherboard detects all 6GB of RAM. Runs fine @ 1066mhz. I manually set the timings to the specifications of my specific RAM modules (9-9-9-24). Once I try to bump to 1600mhz using the BIOS profile options, it's no good. I use CPUID to detect speeds. I have achieved 1600 before, its just seriously unstable.

Are there other solutions I can try? Anyone have any ideas?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about stable 1600mhz solution
  1. What voltage are you at when you bump your BIOS to run at 1600MHz? That memory is good from 1.5v to 1.6v. You are probably needing a bump up to run at that speed (closer to 1.6v).
  2. sadams04 said:
    What voltage are you at when you bump your BIOS to run at 1600MHz? That memory is good from 1.5v to 1.6v. You are probably needing a bump up to run at that speed (closer to 1.6v).

I'll have to double check. When I select the 1600mhz profile in BIOS I receive a notification that the RAM might consequently require higher voltage. It then asks whether or not I will allow an increase in voltage. I always say yes, though I don't know off the top of my head what it comes in at after I boot @ 1600mhz.
  3. I agree with the DRAM Voltage needing to be set within spec, and if needed I too would change the QPI/DRAM Voltage 1.2~1.3v and maybe 1.35v if DRAM Voltage is 1.6v. 9-9-9-24-2N => 9-9-9-24-2T also set the DRAM Timing Mode 2T.
  4. My DRAM Timing Modes from what I could see were Auto, 1N, 2N, or 3N. I made it 2N.

Under CPUID My command rate is coming up as 2T.

Currently I have the computer running @ 1600mhz and it seems more stable. Going to have to memtest now I suppose.

Jaquith -- Is QPI/DRAM voltage much different than just straight DRAM voltage? I guess I'm just not sure why you would set QPI/DRAM voltage at 1.2~1.3 if the DRAM suggested voltage is 1.5v-1.6v. But I did as you suggested; took the QPI/DRAM voltage off of "Auto" and manually plugged in 1.30000 v.
  5. Best answer
    2N = 2T; same thing. QPI/DRAM is the CPU Memory controller, and yes frequently it needs to be increased if the RAM is unstable. Ideally difference is QPI/DRAM = DRAM Voltage - 0.3v. If you're stable then you're good.

Also, if you OC the CPU it's good to have the RAM manually set, and in particular the voltage. The {Auto} always seems to over-volt the RAM otherwise.
  6. Best answer selected by Eldaer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Product