Sign in with
Your question

How noticeable is the difference between Phenom and core i7?

Last response: in CPUs
June 15, 2010 2:07:02 PM

Hey guys,

I've been looking at the benchmarks between the AMD phenom II x6 1055t and the intel core i7-860, and so far it seems that in an equal rig, the i7 out performs the phenom by a small but noticeable amount. When I look at the benchmarks, do the numbers really play into every day activities (like browsing, music, movies, etc), or is that amount really just noticeable when it comes down to heavy stuff like photo/video editing, encoding, etc.?

Also, I've noticed that (since I'll mostly be gaming on this comp) that the 1055t is 6 core while the intel core i7 is 4 core (I believe? Please correct me if I'm wrong). A lot of people say that since no games as of now go over 4 cores, would that make the phenom a better investment for future gaming, for when games will come down to 5/6 cores?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.
a c 203 à CPUs
June 15, 2010 2:19:08 PM

thestud said:
A lot of people say that since no games as of now go over 4 cores, would that make the phenom a better investment for future gaming, for when games will come down to 5/6 cores?
Game programmers try to be careful to ensure the games run on as wide a range of computers as possible.
That means paying attention to the low end CPUs especially since that is where the majority of the gamers are (and where majority of income from selling games comes from).
Since there are already quite a few multi-threaded games that still favor i7 4 core / 8 thread CPUs over x6 1055t I don't see a large 'future advantage' for 1055t.

m
l
June 15, 2010 3:20:30 PM

Ah, you make a good point. Guess when it comes down to it, nothings really "future proof".
m
l
Related resources
!