Sign in with
Your question

What UPS for what PSU?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 15, 2010 2:25:34 PM

I am trying to figure out what UPS I need to purchase for my power supply (a Corsair 1000 watt http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

I know it needs to be pure sine wave, but what I dont know is if it needs to output 1000watts. I won't even be close to using a full 1000 watts in my build, but as video cards keep dropping in price I may be in the future with quad sli.

The solution I am looking for is now, so any input the wise folks here can provide would be greatly appreciated.

More about : ups psu

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 15, 2010 2:48:04 PM

***I just ordered a watt meter to see exactly how much my system is pulling. So when that arrives, I will have more details.
a c 139 ) Power supply
June 15, 2010 3:31:44 PM

+1
You size your UPS to the actual draw of the computer (plus anything else you run off the battery).
And it's OK if you don't size for a gaming workload either. Sure, the computer will shut down if you have a power outage while gaming. If you're major concern is work in progress that needs saving during a power outage you can size for that amount of power.

Unless it's a 'mission critical' computer that needs to run for an extended time on battery power a pure sine wave UPS isn't actually required. Stepped sine wave is good for a home or office PC.
!