Sign in with
Your question

First build questions

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
April 5, 2010 8:35:07 PM

Hi I recently decided to make a home-built PC mainly to save money but I also think it'd be quite interesting. I multi-task alot and like to have some fun now and again (solitaire just doesn't cut it).

My Build:

CPU - Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core

Cooler - SONY 24X DVDRW SERIAL ATA DRU-875S SATA BLACK + Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
(? Do I need this if I don't plan to over clock my system?)

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Case - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
(? Will this case be big enough?)

Case fan - Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F
(? Do I need this?)

PSU - Corsair CMPSU-850TX

RAM - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
(? Can I sart off with 2 sticks and add more later?)

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB

GPU - ASUS 1GB RADEON HD 4670 PCI-E 2.0 HDMI

Display - Acer X203 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate

ODD - SONY 24X DVDRW SERIAL ATA DRU-875S SATA BLACK

I chose to start off with a high end CPU, MOBO and plan to add RAM and upgrade my GPU later. The main reason for this is to get a motherboard with the 1366 socket as it seems that from what I've read this will be the standard a few years down the line (when I want to upgrade).

My Main questions are:

1. Is this a sensible build and are the components compatible?

2. Am I right in thinking that I'll be able to upgrade this later (with different GPU's, SLI/Crossfire, extra/better RAM?

Also, I live in the UK just west of London and I was wondering if anyone knew any good places to get components for good prices eg fairs, websites etc.

Thank you for reading. :) 

More about : build questions

April 5, 2010 8:39:43 PM

That's a really bad build. You're spending a huge amount on the CPU, board, and PSU and practically nothing on the GPU. This definitely won't game. How about you take a look at the guidelines (the link is in my signature) and give use the right information to give you the help you need?

To answer your questions:

1.) No. You're using the wrong RAM (dual channel) for the board (triple channel). You'll be spending a good $750-800 on the CPU, board and RAM only to spend $50 on the GPU. It won't do anything over playing media on the graphics side. Besides that, you didn't list a CPU cooler (which isn't needed unles you overclock).

2.) Yes.
April 5, 2010 10:56:53 PM

^+1...

Websites... www.overclockers.co.uk & www.scan.co.uk , which would be the two I would recommend for the UK.

Quick Recommendations:
  • GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
  • Corsair CMPSU-650TX
  • G.Skill PI Series 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 Cas7
  • ATI Radeon 5770 or higher 5xxx GPU
  • OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (is there a reason you need Ultimate??)

Related resources
    April 6, 2010 12:07:39 AM

windows 7 pro is almost the same as Ultimate, ultimate has a native bit locker encryption for your HDD and it also has more language settings other then English windows. but that's all its got more. but for what, about 20 bucks more? why not? or spend the extra 20 bucks into slightly better hardware.... your call.
    Anonymous
    April 6, 2010 10:31:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I should have done more research myself but at least now I know to check and double check everything.

I went for the Ultimate because if I was paying £140 for pro (from Amazon) I might as well get the Ultimate for an extra £30. But now it seems that it isn't worth it.

Also I was wondering how fast components depreciate and whether there will be any noticable decrease between now and christmas.

Thanks again for the recomendations.
    April 6, 2010 10:55:00 AM

PSU is overkill for your video card.
    April 6, 2010 11:48:00 AM

Quote:
    Hi I recently decided to make a home-built PC mainly to save money but I also think it'd be quite interesting. I multi-task alot and like to have some fun now and again (solitaire just doesn't cut it).

One look at your intentions and hardware selected the thought of an overfed circus elephant (cpu+mobo) riding a tricycle (GPU) comes to mind :lol: 
    !