system reboots with no message

ok maybe someone can help I have a system that was running
windows 98 fine with no issues. I backed it up to tape
then formatted and repartioned the hard drive and reloaded 98
then installed xp sp1 in the other partion. win98 still works fine
but xp seem fine but will reboot peroidiclly with no error message
I have updated the bios, the video drivers and disabled acpi functions in
the bios and the sound chip still happens.

in the event viewer there is a system message about apci writing to a
protected area but kb says this is by design.
1 answer Last reply
More about system reboots message

    Aside from the fact disabling ACPI can cause the system to crash, precisely
    the issue you describe, check the information below:

    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Also, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com

    If your system is clear of viruses and any malware, open Control Panel, open
    System, go to
    the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
    check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
    the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
    information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
    issue.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. No not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "pq" <pq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ok maybe someone can help I have a system that was running
    > windows 98 fine with no issues. I backed it up to tape
    > then formatted and repartioned the hard drive and reloaded 98
    > then installed xp sp1 in the other partion. win98 still works fine
    > but xp seem fine but will reboot peroidiclly with no error message
    > I have updated the bios, the video drivers and disabled acpi functions in
    > the bios and the sound chip still happens.
    >
    > in the event viewer there is a system message about apci writing to a
    > protected area but kb says this is by design.

Configuration Windows XP