allen9190

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Hi,
I just received components for my new desktop build, but after connecting everything together and turning on the power....nothing turns on except the green "Standby" LED on the motherboard. I tested the power supply by putting a bent paper clip into the green and black pins of the 24-pin motherboard power connector then connected the case fan to the power supply. When I turned on the power switch, the fan was spinning, so its not the power supply.
I removed the power supply from the 24pin connector and connected the 24pin and 8pin connectors to the motherboard and turned on the power....nothing turned on...no fans...not even the power supply fan..
Does this confirm that the motherboard is DOA even if it's "standby" LED is on ?

It too can be a dead short. The lazy man's breadboard -> unscrew all of the MOBO screws, PCIe screws, pull away from the I/O shield and 'dangle' the MOBO with a towel with only the bare minimum connected. Failure, pull the GPU and leave 1 stick of RAM.

BTW - habitually, I see people baby their MOBO and thereby don't properly seat and 'snap-in' {RAM, GPU, etc}.