Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Antec p183/ 300 illusion / fractal r2 -- cooling question

Last response: in Components
June 15, 2010 5:44:07 PM

I had been looking at the antec 300 illusion, mostly due to the cooling and price.
I'm starting to think that it might be worth spending a bit more and getting a more quality case. I want a fairly minimalist (professional) look to the case (not a gamer case) and so I've started looking at the antec 183 and the fractal r2.

How does the cooling on these compare to the 300? I assume better but I can't find any reviews/comparisons between them. Also, (this is probably a stupidly simple question) the p183 and the r2 both have a solid front door that really adds to the look, but it completely covers the intake fans. Do you have to leave the doors open all the time (which negates the cool look of the case) or does it (the fan) somehow still work even when covered?

I view the case as something that can be kept throughout several pc builds, so I want to get a quality case that I won't regret. Opinions?
a b ) Power supply
June 15, 2010 7:11:05 PM

Antec P183 is a high quality mid-tower.
It presents three-layer side panels to reduce the noise, easily accessible soft-mounted drive cages, spacious interior, very good cable management design, removable dust filters and very elegant exterior appearance.
This case has two USB ports and one eSATA port, besides the headphones and microphone jacks. It has also four external 5 ¼” bays, one external 3 ½” bay and six internal 3 ½” bays.
In the rear side of the case you have a speed control for the top and rear fans.
If you are not a hard gamer, the P183 is a fantastic case. If you can afford the price, I recommend you to go for it.

Here you have a video review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmkI5chufc
m
l
June 15, 2010 10:24:45 PM

Thanks for the response. About the front door, though -- does having that closed impede air-flow? It looks like you would have to just leave it open any time you used the computer, which might be a deal-breaker.

Quote:
If you are not a hard gamer, the P183 is a fantastic case.

I'm not a hard-core gamer but I definitely enjoy gaming -- is there something about this case that would be a problem, or is it more than this case is more than a gamer would want?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 274 ) Power supply
June 15, 2010 10:39:31 PM

Both the cases you're interested in are high quality and silent.The guy that runs this website co-designed the P183.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/antec-p183

http://www.silentpcreview.com/fractal-r2

a c 274 ) Power supply
June 15, 2010 10:43:21 PM

dsarchs said:
Thanks for the response. About the front door, though -- does having that closed impede air-flow? It looks like you would have to just leave it open any time you used the computer, which might be a deal-breaker.

Quote:
If you are not a hard gamer, the P183 is a fantastic case.

I'm not a hard-core gamer but I definitely enjoy gaming -- is there something about this case that would be a problem, or is it more than this case is more than a gamer would want?

If you read the reviews i've posted airflow and temps are on par with the 1200 and 902
m
l
June 15, 2010 11:17:48 PM

Best answer selected by dsarchs.
m
l
!