Computer not running

tony597

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
hello people i have a question that i need help on i have a computer and it has stopped working it i thought it was the power supply that stopped working becuz it smelled burned so i went and bought another one and no my computer still isn't working the fans inside the computer start to work but nothing else is working im thinking it is the motherboard but i am not sure wat could it be and wat is the possibility that when the power supply burns out another part in the computer stops working on a custom made computer

okay i went thru the whole thing and everything on the checklist is plugged in rite it is all screwed down rite the power is on and everything what happens is that when i press the power button the systems seems to turn on but there are no post beeps or anything like that and on the screen nothing comes up but while it seems to be turned on inside the computer the fans are spinning i press the power button again and nothing happens it doesn't turn off or anything like that only the fans keep on spinning i have to turn the power supply off completly(*unplug the computer or switch it off from the back of the power supply*) to make the fans stop spinning i try it again and the exact same thing happens a friend told me it is the mother board another told me it was memory but idk its either becuz that has happened to me before and when that happened the computer completely turns off with no fans running so i really don't know on this one ...im stumped and im not liking it ?_?

could it have been the motherboard that is messed up since its not working??

System specs?

Breadboard your system - that isolates any kind of case problem.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.
You do have a case speaker installed, right? If not, you really, really need one. If you case or motherboard didn't come with a system speaker you can buy one here:
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to.

You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems.
Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.