RAID 5 volume can only be created in dynamic disk?

i know there is hardware RAID and software RAID, can RAID 5 can only be created in dynamic disk? thx
10 answers Last reply
More about raid volume created dynamic disk
  1. If you are using software raid (windows), then yes, they must be dynamic disks.
  2. Hawkeye22 said:
    If you are using software raid (windows), then yes, they must be dynamic disks.

thx, u mean RAID 5 can also be crated on basic disk, right?
  3. For software raid in windows, I believe they must be dynamic disks. Dynamic disks have a special area reserved for metadata, like raid volume & stuff that makes it easier to manage the volumes.

Dynamic disks were introduced in Windows 2000 Server. By converting a disk to a dynamic disk, you give Disk Management the ability to manage it in new ways, without requiring a reboot in most cases. You can extend a disk volume, span a volume across multiple physical disks, stripe the volume for improved performance, mirror it, or add it to a RAID-5 array—all from the Disk Management console and all without a reboot, after the disk is converted to a dynamic disk

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd163558.aspx

If you use hardware raid, then yes, the disks can be basic.
  4. Hawkeye22 said:
    For software raid in windows, I believe they must be dynamic disks. Dynamic disks have a special area reserved for metadata, like raid volume & stuff that makes it easier to manage the volumes.

Dynamic disks were introduced in Windows 2000 Server. By converting a disk to a dynamic disk, you give Disk Management the ability to manage it in new ways, without requiring a reboot in most cases. You can extend a disk volume, span a volume across multiple physical disks, stripe the volume for improved performance, mirror it, or add it to a RAID-5 array—all from the Disk Management console and all without a reboot, after the disk is converted to a dynamic disk

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd163558.aspx

If you use hardware raid, then yes, the disks can be basic.

thanks so much Hawkeye22, a little longer guidance, but finally i got it now :bounce:
  5. Windows Raid 5 requires dynamic disk AND windows Server. Windows 7, etc do not support Raid 5 even if you are converting the disks to dynamic
  6. lafontma said:
    Windows Raid 5 requires dynamic disk AND windows Server. Windows 7, etc do not support Raid 5 even if you are converting the disks to dynamic

just checked the site Hawkeye22 recommended, i noticed the system partition is better not to be dynamic disk, so if there is a raid card controller, RAID 5 is possible to created on basic disk, is this right?
  7. Yes, it should be possible. Just download the manual for whatever raid card you plan on purchasing, but I don't recall ever having a raid controller that specified that a disk had to be basic or dynamic.

If you plan on using the motherboard's built in raid controller, then check your motherboard manual on raid setup.
  8. A very small correction. RAID5 will not be created on a basic disk. Instead, the hardware will do the RAID5 and present all the space to the OS as a single device. The OS will create a basic disk on that device. Or a dynamic disk on it, if you prefer. But the OS will not see the actual drives that constitute the array.
  9. ^ Good catch W.K.

I don't know where my brain is today.
  10. Hawkeye22 said:
    I don't know where my brain is today.

Have you looked in the fridge? I keep mine in there when I need to cool off. :pt1cable:
Ask a new question

Read More

Hardware NAS / RAID Software Storage