Sign in with
Your question

RAID 5 volume can only be created in dynamic disk?

Last response: in Storage
May 10, 2012 10:49:58 AM

i know there is hardware RAID and software RAID, can RAID 5 can only be created in dynamic disk? thx
a c 371 G Storage
May 10, 2012 11:39:05 AM

If you are using software raid (windows), then yes, they must be dynamic disks.
m
l
May 10, 2012 11:59:54 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
If you are using software raid (windows), then yes, they must be dynamic disks.

thx, u mean RAID 5 can also be crated on basic disk, right?
m
l
Related resources
a c 371 G Storage
May 10, 2012 12:04:34 PM

For software raid in windows, I believe they must be dynamic disks. Dynamic disks have a special area reserved for metadata, like raid volume & stuff that makes it easier to manage the volumes.

Dynamic disks were introduced in Windows 2000 Server. By converting a disk to a dynamic disk, you give Disk Management the ability to manage it in new ways, without requiring a reboot in most cases. You can extend a disk volume, span a volume across multiple physical disks, stripe the volume for improved performance, mirror it, or add it to a RAID-5 array—all from the Disk Management console and all without a reboot, after the disk is converted to a dynamic disk

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd163558.asp...

If you use hardware raid, then yes, the disks can be basic.
m
l
May 10, 2012 12:40:11 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
For software raid in windows, I believe they must be dynamic disks. Dynamic disks have a special area reserved for metadata, like raid volume & stuff that makes it easier to manage the volumes.

Dynamic disks were introduced in Windows 2000 Server. By converting a disk to a dynamic disk, you give Disk Management the ability to manage it in new ways, without requiring a reboot in most cases. You can extend a disk volume, span a volume across multiple physical disks, stripe the volume for improved performance, mirror it, or add it to a RAID-5 array—all from the Disk Management console and all without a reboot, after the disk is converted to a dynamic disk

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd163558.asp...

If you use hardware raid, then yes, the disks can be basic.

thanks so much Hawkeye22, a little longer guidance, but finally i got it now :bounce: 
m
l
May 10, 2012 1:01:44 PM

Windows Raid 5 requires dynamic disk AND windows Server. Windows 7, etc do not support Raid 5 even if you are converting the disks to dynamic
m
l
May 10, 2012 1:16:32 PM

lafontma said:
Windows Raid 5 requires dynamic disk AND windows Server. Windows 7, etc do not support Raid 5 even if you are converting the disks to dynamic

just checked the site Hawkeye22 recommended, i noticed the system partition is better not to be dynamic disk, so if there is a raid card controller, RAID 5 is possible to created on basic disk, is this right?
m
l
a c 371 G Storage
May 10, 2012 1:39:01 PM

Yes, it should be possible. Just download the manual for whatever raid card you plan on purchasing, but I don't recall ever having a raid controller that specified that a disk had to be basic or dynamic.

If you plan on using the motherboard's built in raid controller, then check your motherboard manual on raid setup.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
May 10, 2012 3:17:46 PM

A very small correction. RAID5 will not be created on a basic disk. Instead, the hardware will do the RAID5 and present all the space to the OS as a single device. The OS will create a basic disk on that device. Or a dynamic disk on it, if you prefer. But the OS will not see the actual drives that constitute the array.
m
l
a c 371 G Storage
May 10, 2012 4:26:30 PM

^ Good catch W.K.

I don't know where my brain is today.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
May 10, 2012 6:09:39 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
I don't know where my brain is today.

Have you looked in the fridge? I keep mine in there when I need to cool off. :pt1cable: 
m
l
!