Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I have a Q6600 (rev G0), want to get new motherboard - what should i do?

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2010 10:18:48 PM

I realize I'm talking about a chip that's several years old, but it serves my purposes well so i have no reason to replace it. i do however have plenty of reasons to replace my mobo (it's from a Gateway PC - intel DG33 , it sucks, it's micro-ATX, my HDDs won't all fit in the case, can't overclock, etc etc).
so i'm going to get a new mobo. i have an nVidia 8800GT, 4GB of PC2-6400 RAM that I may one day upgrade but no intention of doing so right now.
I mostly use this PC for gaming but not hardcore because I work for a living, and i haven't really had any problems with it - mostly i'm struggling with physical space on the board and in the case, and of course i cannot overclock anything on this board.

What kind of moderately-priced board should i be looking at? i have another GeForce card lying around, but I think it's an 8600GT - is that of any use in an SLI board? if not, i don't think i really need SLI support because I'm not planning to buy another 8800 anytime soon

down the road, i'll likely upgrade the RAM and maybe the GPU, but no intentions of messing with the CPU right now. I'd definitely like USB 3 support though

thanks for any feedback

More about : q6600 rev motherboard

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 235 V Motherboard
April 5, 2010 10:23:54 PM

I wouldn't expect USB 3.0 to be added to socket 775 motherboards, but you can buy an add-on card.

If you need SLI, then you'll have to buy a motherboard based on an NVidia chipset. If you can live without it, then look into the Asus P5Q Deluxe or the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. They are not the least expensive, but they'll allow you to overclock.
April 5, 2010 11:05:48 PM

i think you should go for an Asus P5N32-E SLI,quite good mobo!!!
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 235 V Motherboard
April 5, 2010 11:52:43 PM

spahiu said:
i think you should go for an Asus P5N32-E SLI,quite good mobo!!!
It might not qualify as a moderately-priced board.
m
l
April 6, 2010 12:37:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been reading up on the Asus and Gigabyte boards suggested by GhislainG, and so far so good. I had a Gigabyte board in the past and was very happy with it. Found a great review on legitreview.com as well, so that's looking like a front-runner.

Yes, the Asus P5N32-E is nice, but a little outside of my budget for this project!

Let me ask this though - practically speaking, what am i giving up by not investing more in this? For my needs (which includes some gaming - CoD, Bioshock, Far Cry 2), my current setup has not disappointed. I'd like to make this investment now and not have to worry about it for a couple of years, but i'd also like to be able to play the next-generation of games without having to build a new system from the ground. Will upgrading my video card within the next year or so tide me over? I just read the really great article on bottlenecks between GPU and CPU (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i3-gaming,2588...) and it seems like my Quad Core is going to be sufficient for a while as long as my GPU can keep up. is that a fair statement?
m
l
April 6, 2010 2:02:40 AM

The UD3P may be overkill for your Q6600. Investing $120-$130 in a dead socket is a bad idea. I would try to pick up a used Asus P5Q P45 MB (any of them). You can find them used for $60 if your lucky on forums. Those boards will easily let you max out your Q6600. The only reason I would ever buy the UD3P is if you owned a Q9550 or higher.

If I were you I would sell your setup and upgrade to i5...your system will be worth more later down the line.
m
l
April 6, 2010 2:43:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback cory1234. I'm able to find the UD3P for about $90 new. While i might could save $30 if I found the used Asus on the forums, I've had enough trouble with new MBs in my life - i'm not sure a used MB is a route I want to take. i'd prefer to spend a little more and get a new one.

thanks for all the feedback guys - think i'm going to go with the Gigabyte.
m
l
April 6, 2010 2:43:41 PM

Best answer selected by auburndmbfan.
m
l
!