Your question

Getting BSOD's

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Blue Screen
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2010 10:57:40 PM

I've had my new system for about 3 months, and started receiving random BSOD's about a month ago. They started occurring randomly, and didn't begin after any sort of installation, change, or driver update.

My specs are:
Phenom II 955 @ 3.6GHz (1.4v)
4GB DDR3 1600 G.SKILL Ripjaws
Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
Radeon 5850
500GB Spinpoint F3
CM N520 Cooler
750W Corsair
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

There really hasn't been any sort of pattern to the BSODs. They seem to occur more frequently within a few minutes of a cold boot. A couple crashes also occurred when using the internet or doing some word processing. So far, there have been no crashes whatsoever during gaming or video editing. Sometimes I get a couple per day, and sometimes I only get 1-2 per week.

I've tried various drivers for all of my components (used DriverSweeper to get rid of old drivers) and ran Memtest for about 6-8 hours with no errors. I'm also Prime95 stable and get about 20500 in 3DMark06. I also ran SeaTools to check for HDD problems and the results were fine. CPU temperatures are also acceptable - 30-35c idle, and 50-55c after Prime95.

Here's some screenshots of my blue screens:

Note that they have created NO memory dump files (it's configured to save them). The memory dump always hangs, which I'm assuming can be an issue?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z49/Aecursis/0325002...
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z49/Aecursis/0329000...
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z49/Aecursis/0331001...
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z49/Aecursis/0331001...
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z49/Aecursis/0405001...

Any ideas?

More about : bsod

a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2010 11:26:09 PM

I'll start with the obvious, have you tried lowering your overclock to see if the errors go away?

Did you install any new software around the time the errors started? How often do you do disc cleanup, viruscan, defrag etc?

Barring an overclock issue, I'm guessing you have something running in the background, since you report errors within a few minutes of startup. Maybe you have a little infection of some sort.
m
l
April 5, 2010 11:30:12 PM

buzznut said:
I'll start with the obvious, have you tried lowering your overclock to see if the errors go away?

Did you install any new software around the time the errors started? How often do you do disc cleanup, viruscan, defrag etc?

Barring an overclock issue, I'm guessing you have something running in the background, since you report errors within a few minutes of startup. Maybe you have a little infection of some sort.

I've reset the overclock, yes. Right now I have it running at 3.2Ghz on 1.35v and I put the RAM back to 1333, which it's detected at. Had a BSOD when browsing the internet about a half hour ago.

No new software was installed around the time, as far as I remember. As far as maintenance, I run CCleaner weekly and I defrag every couple weeks with Defraggler. I have Avast 5.0, Spybot S&D, and MalewareBytes. I run scans regularly.
m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2010 1:14:43 AM

Damn, already almost on page 2.

Any ideas?
m
l
April 6, 2010 2:13:09 AM

Basics, man basics...
Do you pass memtest? Prime95? Back off the OC's and test. Infections arent interested in BSOD's - they either want some personal info or to run as a bot for them or to send you to an adult site you dont need. Did you install something - anything??!!

Under clock if you have to in order to test the system. Test or remove that RAM..... strip everything out including that latest torrent client you installed. How many processes are running - 40 or less?

Processor temps dont mean a thing if its undervolted or has memory errors....

m
l
April 6, 2010 2:18:17 AM

Quote:
Basics, man basics...
Do you pass memtest? Prime95?

Yeah, I said:

"and ran Memtest for about 6-8 hours with no errors. I'm also Prime95 stable"

Quote:
Back off the OC's and test. Infections arent interested in BSOD's - they either want some personal info or to run as a bot for them or to send you to an adult site you dont need. Did you install something - anything??!!

Under clock if you have to in order to test the system. Test or remove that RAM..... strip everything out including that latest torrent client you installed. How many processes are running - 40 or less?

Processor temps dont mean a thing if its undervolted or has memory errors....

Already tested the RAM with memtest and blend tests - it's fine.

As for processes, I have 46 going. Most are system processes. The rest are the browser, anti-virus, CCC, etc.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2010 2:26:50 AM

Aecursis said:
I run CCleaner weekly

Do backups ? You may have removed a registry key that system doesn't like.
m
l
April 6, 2010 2:44:47 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
Do backups ? You may have removed a registry key that system doesn't like.

Yeah, I have a ton of backups saved.

There's no major drawback to restoring them, correct? I'm assuming it won't remove any current entries that I have?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 6, 2010 4:48:55 PM

Have you manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated specs in the BIOS? Memtest86+ is great at detecting faulty RAM, but often won't fail if the RAM settings are incorrect. I've seen a number of systems that were having stability issues but passed multiple Memtest86+ runs. Manually setting the RAM values fixed the problem the majority of the time.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2010 3:36:47 AM

Aecursis said:
Yeah, I have a ton of backups saved.

There's no major drawback to restoring them, correct? I'm assuming it won't remove any current entries that I have?

If you restore to say two days ago, it will remove all entries made over last 2 days....you won't lose files, just registry settings change din last 2 days.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2010 7:23:03 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
Have you manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated specs in the BIOS? Memtest86+ is great at detecting faulty RAM, but often won't fail if the RAM settings are incorrect. I've seen a number of systems that were having stability issues but passed multiple Memtest86+ runs. Manually setting the RAM values fixed the problem the majority of the time.

This. Always look at the memory voltage and timings as the leading cause if you're getting random freezing. Especially if you were overclocking. Memory undervoltage is also a scenario where you hear about systems running fine for a few weeks or months and then encounter random freezing issues.

Also -- is your 4GB of RAM 2x2GB, or 4x1GB? If it's four sticks, simply bumping the voltage up by 0.1V over what you were previously doing may solve the problem.
m
l
!